Author Topic: should i get this  (Read 1740 times)

Gaz118

should i get this
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »
hi I'm going to make a small order on Friday from play.com i love thrillers war films conspiracies so i thought i would get

LEON. Starring Jean Reno never seen it heard alot about it and sounds brillant.

Apocalypse Now. seen it before and loved it great for a Vietnam theme night with a couple of beers.

Oldboy. Korean vengeance movie i read somewhere that it has a brillant surround sound track on it.

Thirteen days. a film about the Cuban missile crisis with Kevin Costner looks pretty good.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:07:03 PM by Gaz118 »

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: should i get this
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »
I don't know about Thirteen Days but yes to the other 3. Oldboy is the middle film in a trilogy but that matters not as all three, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance / Oldboy / Lady Vengeance, stand alone.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
I'd skip Thirteen Days, it's not that good. If you want a good film about the Cuban missile crisis, then get this instead...

The Missiles of October, it's leaps and bounds better.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:01:49 AM »
I have never seen Thirteen Days (and don't intend to), but the other three all very good films in my opinion. A very diverse selection at that :thumbup:

For Léon, I'd say make sure to get the (longer) International Cut. The shorter US theatrical release had several key scenes removed.

Apocalypse Now is a classic. The story behind the making infamous. It's not a war film though, which could be "enjoyed" for it's action while having a few beers. You might know this, but I thought I mention it anyway.

The Vengeance Trilogy are all independent films, connected by theme, not story. I like the other two also, but Oldboy is the best.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »
For Léon, I'd say make sure to get the (longer) International Cut. The shorter US theatrical release had several key scenes removed.

Oooh, just to throw a spanner in the works, I prefer the leaner theatrical cut. I found the tone a little awkward and the plotting not as tight in the longer version.

Gaz118

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 04:02:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback think ill get all of them plus the missiles of October that Antares mentioned.  I'm also gowna buy Dexter season 1 and 2 love the show

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:21:26 AM »
Oooh, just to throw a spanner in the works, I prefer the leaner theatrical cut. I found the tone a little awkward and the plotting not as tight in the longer version.
I just remembered that the later releases had both versions on it...

(click to show/hide)