Author Topic: Another Sci-Fi Con  (Read 1463 times)

Critter

Another Sci-Fi Con
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
Hey guys,

As some of you might remember I went to a pop culture convention earlier in the year. I went to another one today which was really great. There were a lot of stars there but I got to sit in on two, one-hour long Q&A sessions with Juliet Landau (Buffy, Angel, Ed Wood etc) and Michelle Forbes (True Blood, In Treatment, Battlestar Galactica etc).

It was really great listening to these actors speak so naturally to a crowd. The mics were just passed around the audience and anyone could ask questions. Listening to Juliet Landau talk about her work with Joss Whedon and Tim Burton was great, and she even put on the Drusilla voice for us and said a couple of quotes which was amazing because in real life she sounds nothing like the character at all.

They were also available for signings and also to have photos with, but that was expensive and the lines were long so my friend and I decided that the Q&A was enough.

Other actors there who I didn't get a chance to see was Miracle Laurie (November from Dollhouse) and the guy who voices Bender from Futurama.

Sorry I don't have any photo's this time, but it was a great experience and I thought I would share anyway, especially as I know there are many Buffy fans here.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Another Sci-Fi Con
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
Sounds great! :clap:

I have only been to such event once in my life: A one-day convention in Los Angeles hosted by Fangoria magazine. Even though it's been more than 15 years ago (hmmm, actually, I think exactly 15 this month) I still treasure the memory.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
I went to a couple of trading card conventions years ago. Nothing too impressive, but David Prowse (Darth Vader) was at one. This was just before the Special Editions and he told me about Lucas' idea of three trilogies, which was the first time I heard that.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »
Cool. 
I've never been to anything like that.  I'd like to sometime..though the crowds would bother me some...it would still be interesting.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:11:44 AM »
It seems that there are two major cons each year in Melbourne, and since I have been to both of them this year I would like to make it an annual thing. I really do enjoy it, although it is a very expensive day out, I think I'm going to have to save my money for a while after yesterday.

There are huge crowds in these things Marie, but they are such awesome crowds. If you are lining up to buy some food or something you could have batman in front of you, an alien behind and a storm trooper to the left. It's very fun being in crowds of people wearing cosplay.

Juliet Landau was the highlight of the day for me, she talked about so many great things to do with Buffy, and how at the time she was so immersed in the character of Drusilla that she really understood her and didn't think she was crazy at all. Now though if she goes back and watches the episodes she can really understand just how insane she must have looked to everyone else.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:25:30 AM »
It seems that there are two major cons each year in Melbourne, and since I have been to both of them this year I would like to make it an annual thing. I really do enjoy it, although it is a very expensive day out, I think I'm going to have to save my money for a while after yesterday.

There are huge crowds in these things Marie, but they are such awesome crowds. If you are lining up to buy some food or something you could have batman in front of you, an alien behind and a storm trooper to the left. It's very fun being in crowds of people wearing cosplay.

Juliet Landau was the highlight of the day for me, she talked about so many great things to do with Buffy, and how at the time she was so immersed in the character of Drusilla that she really understood her and didn't think she was crazy at all. Now though if she goes back and watches the episodes she can really understand just how insane she must have looked to everyone else.

Next year I'm going to one of them not matter what. I've never been to a convention at all in my life. Maybe I'll see you there.
I've been to to exhibitions in Melbourne this year, the Tim Burton and Titanic exhibition. Both were fantastic.

Critter

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 07:08:02 AM »
I went to Tim Burton as well. I went on opening night so I saw the interview with him and Margeret which was awesome.
As far as the conventions go I would recommend even going to both, they are a lot of fun! The next Supanova is in April, it's a great day. I'd be happy to have a meet up at a place like that if you are interested.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »
I'll try to get my best friend to come with me. If I do go I'll let you know.

Critter

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »
Sounds good. I have so far been to every convention with the same friend of mine (the only one who would go to a thing like that) who just moved to Singapore. Luckily though she will be back in Australia before the next Melbourne con. We have already been planning it haha.