Author Topic: Live Action Akira  (Read 2872 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Live Action Akira
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
According to the latest edition of Sci-Fi Now the Hughes Brothers, who they?, are set to direct Akira. This will be set in New Manhattan and is loosely based on the manga. Leonardo Dicaprio will produce and star. I tried to find a link but could only come up with one from 2008 with a different director link

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

Re: Live Action Akira
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
The Hughes Brothers are an interesting choice. They did From Hell and most recently Book of Eli, along with a documentary of some renown from ages ago (but I can't remember the title).

Critter

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »
I would personally prefer if this stayed as an anime/manga. I mean, why take it to Manhattan? Where's the point in that, Neo Tokyo was outstanding.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 05:49:16 AM »
Another rumor I heard was, that they might be doing three films? Basically one film for 2 of the books each?

I thought Book of Eli was a snorefest but haven't seen From Hell.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
I thought Book of Eli was a snorefest but haven't seen From Hell.

I quite enjoyed Book of Eli.

Don't bother with From Hell, just read the book instead.

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:51:06 AM »
Ewww, live action Akira movie.

I was talking to a friend about this a few months ago, and we agreed that it sounded stupid.

...why bother anyway :p if you take the anime fans that go in my local comic shop, its cool not to like Akira.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:12:26 PM »
...why bother anyway :p if you take the anime fans that go in my local comic shop, its cool not to like Akira.

Tell me you're not one of them, Emma? It's "cool" to dislike something if you're in primary school.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
Not sure what my problem was really. Most bits and pieces were good, the acting was adequate and the premises was promising. Still I couldn't warm up to it and the rather terrible ending didn't help (in concept good, but the execution didn't satisfy me). I could only rate it a 2 :shrug:

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »

Tell me you're not one of them, Emma? It's "cool" to dislike something if you're in primary school.

No, I like Akira, well I respect it more.... its not a film that I could say sit and watch more then a couple of times.

...However... I think the idea of a live action version is stupid.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »
Not sure what my problem was really. Most bits and pieces were good, the acting was adequate and the premises was promising. Still I couldn't warm up to it and the rather terrible ending didn't help (in concept good, but the execution didn't satisfy me). I could only rate it a 2 :shrug:

I didn't see the ending coming at all if I'm honest.
I think it's one of the best films I've watched at the cinema this year. Which I never thought I'd say about a Denzel Washington film.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:23 PM »
I didn't see the ending coming at all if I'm honest.
I think it's one of the best films I've watched at the cinema this year. Which I never thought I'd say about a Denzel Washington film.

I didn't see it coming either and, as I said, liked the concept a lot. Just the execution was terrible.

(click to show/hide)

Most parts of the film were good, but as a whole it didn't come together.
(click to show/hide)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:44:42 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Most parts of the film were good, but as a whole it didn't come together.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
The Hughes Brothers are an interesting choice. They did From Hell and most recently Book of Eli, along with a documentary of some renown from ages ago (but I can't remember the title).

Ok not seen either film although From Hell is on my 2003 TBW pile  :-[, guess I'll have to dig it out and give it a viewing.

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »
Brings back memories.  :cheers: