Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!  (Read 14341 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »
Free Comic Book Day has been going on for a long time...always early in May and I know it's been going on for over a decade.  Back when I was still buying regular comics, I asked Dave who owned the book store I went to (of which comics were just a part of his business) about it and he said Free Comic Book Day never really generated much business at his store so he stopped taking part in that.

snowcat

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »
Well Free Comic Book day is always the first Saturday in may, and most small comic stores have that problem, its sad really... the shops have to pay for the comics...

In the big Comic Shop here it used to be take what you want, more recently its been take just one... this year it was take one when you buy something!

If the big comic companies cared about free comic book day at all they would give the comics to stores for free or atleast a lot cheaper!

Rogmeister

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
In an e-mail list I'm on, someone posted a site for the Free Comic Book Day promotion.  You can enter in your zip code and it locates stores closest to you that are taking part.  I put in my zip code and no store in my state came up but it did list some from neighboring states but they're still a fair distance.  If there was any in my town or the next one I might have gone but I'm not traveling an hour each way to pick up a few free comic books.

addicted2comics(:P)

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2010, 04:03:26 AM »

Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 (1973)

Format: Digital

Writer: Gerry Conway

Artist: Gil Kane

Summary: The Green Goblin regains memory delayed by amnesia and kidnaps Gwen Stacy, who is later killed, thrown off the George Washington Bridge.

My Thoughts: OMG.

When reading this I always knew what happened, and I'm trusting you all did too, because it became a big turning point on young Peter's life, perhaps as big as the death of Uncle Ben. All the same, I was in awe the arch because of the emotion anyone can see deeply set into these comics! Truly a legendary event in any comic book, even though this is a sad occurrence for Spidey, all I have left to say is, well done, Marvel!! Well Done!!

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2010, 01:09:40 AM »

DareDevil: The Man Without Fear #270 (1989)

Format: Paperback

Writer: Ann Nocenti

Artist: John Romita Jr.

Summary: A brutal murder on a hill became the site of many crimes and atrocities. Eventually this hill became evil. One evening a boy and a girl friend came to the hill and he boy's unwanted advances on the girl brought the birth of Blackheart. Meanwhile, Daredevil is feeling like his old self again after all the ordeals he has been in recently. Blackheart immediately begins his attack. Spider-Man shows up just in time. All too late Daredevil senses something and makes the connection that the evil, seemingly lifeless creature they just faced is somehow linked to a man who was watching with the crowd......Mephisto.

My Thoughts: Well, the two big name baddies here are BlackHeart, who I primarily knew from watching Ghost Rider, that was him right? With the "I Am Legion" line? Anyways, and then there's Mephisto, aka the dude who undid Spidey's marriage in OMD/BND. BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Still the story line, though a little dark for my taste is very interesting. Something I think you horror fans would like, a close mood to Blade. While I like seeing everyone's favorite webslinger in a comic I now own, it's not one that I thought fit him well, if not only for a guest appearance. Still it was very enjoyable, yet I feel it could have been improved upon. 3.5 out of5.

karmesinrot

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2010, 02:01:51 AM »
Okay, I have never read any comics like this and I'm really not up on my Marvel universe at all, so would somebody please mind explaining to me why "Gwen Stacy" is the love of Peter Parker's life? I thought it was supposed to be Mary Jane Something? :s

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2010, 04:42:12 AM »
I thought that for a long time too.  As I understand it now, Gwen was the one Peter liked in high school...Mary Jane came along later.
It seems like Mary Jane in the first movie is sort of a combination of the characters..though then they went and introduced Gwen in the third movie. 

karmesinrot

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »
Ah I understand, thanks Marie!

snowcat

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »
Pretty much it Marie, its confusing ;p

I have not read a Daredevil comic for along time! I think im gonna get some graphic novels.

Rogmeister

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:22 AM »
I probably read those Spider-Man comics when they first came out.  20 cents???  Wow.  Also, Gil Kane is definitely one of my 5 favorite comic book artists of all time.  Gerry Conway was okay for awhile, but then he eventually changed his style where all his heroes became simpering little whimps.  I'm not sure I was reading Daredevil then...probably not.  I think I was out of comics in 1989, coming back to them a year or two later.

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2010, 02:53:22 AM »

No Fear Shakespeare: Hamlet & Macbeth

Format: Paperback

(Adaptive) Writer: Neil Babra

Artist: Neil Babra

Summary: Illustrated and modern-language translated versions of Shakespeare's classics tales of a king who gained his power through murder and a young prince driven to insanity.

My Thoughts: I'm not sure what to rate these....mainly because I never actually read the original script. Still, these stories are very entertaining and, as far as I can tell, very on-the-mark when it comes to how close it was to the original.

I have to say it was a treat to read over famous lines, such as "To be or not to be..." and "Double double, Toil and Trouble". At first I thought it was laughable, considering how overdone it seems now, how even people who've never read Shakespeare have heard those lines, but the guy definitely pulled it off!! Although, that may be because he was the first to ever do it! ;) Anyways, if you're looking for classic stories with lots of pics and some modern words for easier understanding (cuz I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd need them!), I highly recommend any one of the books from the "No Fear Shakespeare" collection!

snowcat

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
Ive not seen these before, I have only seen the Manga Shakespere stories.

Im a fan of Shakespere I may have to check these out.

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
I'm still trying to see if I can get my hands on that version of "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

snowcat

« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »
Cool! my favourite Shakespeare play is King Lear... id Like to see that if it exists

hal9g

« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
Cool! my favourite Shakespeare play is King Lear... id Like to see that if it exists

There are several DVD versions available.  This is one of them.  UPC #733961-717198:

King Lear