Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!  (Read 14356 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2010, 02:23:44 AM »

The Adventures of Johnny Bunko - The Last Career Guide You'll Ever Need (2010)

Format: Paperback

Writer: Daniel H. Pink

Artist: Ron Ten Pas

Summary: Meet Johnny Bunko. He’s probably a lot like you. He did what everybody – parents, teachers, counselors — told him to do. But now, stuck at a dead-end job, he’s begun to suspect that what he thought he knew is just plain wrong. One bizarre night, Johnny meets Diana, the unlikeliest career adviser he’s ever seen. Part Cameron Diaz, part Barbara Eden, she reveals to Johnny the six essential lessons for thriving in the world of work emerging from magic chopsticks.

My Thoughts: A comic I forgot to mention from my school library. Very informative. You can barely tell you're learning lesson's because of all the comedic magic in this comic. I'm usually not a fan of Manga, but this is actually really good! If you feel stuck at you're job, or you need help on where you wanna go, I highly recommend this book, with simple advice you'd never imagine you'd never thought of it yourself! The thing with the genie-type girl coming out of the chopsticks is a little weird to say the least, but you get used to it, and she is really a girl you love to laugh with through all the adventures. Some aspects of the book could have been improved on, like maybe put it in color, and, idk, I'm just not a fan of Manga artwork myself. Still, this is a cool 4 out of 5 if I've ever seen one.

And don't worry comic readers, I'll get to reading some more oldies soon so I can appeal to all readers, just been busy. :P

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »

Ultimate Spider-Man #1-83, Annual #1, Special #1 (2000-2009)

Format: Digital

Artist: Mark Bagley

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis

Summary: Peter Benjamin Parker/Spider-Man is a shy, intelligent high school student who lives in Forest Hills, Queens, New York City, with his Uncle Ben and Aunt May Parker. He is fifteen years old when the series begins. On a science field trip to Osborn Industries, a genetically altered spider bites Peter. Instead of dying as expected, Peter begins to inherit various superhuman powers. During a fight at his school, Peter blocks a punch from Flash Thompson, and this thrust of the punch breaks Flash's hand. He earns money to pay off the resulting medical bill by wrestling professionally in a costume the promoters provide. A burglar Peter refuses to stop later kills his Uncle Ben. Wracked with guilt, he modifies his wrestling costume and dedicates his life to fighting crime. He manages to complete his father's research on adhesives, creating a formula used to create artificial webs. Peter tries to balance school, a job, a girlfriend, his Aunt May and his life as Spider-Man, which proves to be difficult.

My Thoughts: I know, I know, I promised more oldies but after I got my mouse on this, I had to read all 80-something issues! :P So yes, I'm not dead and/or ignoring any of you!

As for what I thought of the series (for the issues I read, still have more) this was a really cool retelling of the superhero. Most of when Pete was in high school, it was really tame considering the time period, am I'm glad some this got cranked up a notch! One this that kinda bugged yet impressed me was how they beefed up the Green Goblin:
(click to show/hide)

Later in the series you would notice a relationship brewing between Spidey and Kitty Pryde of the X-Men. A little strange considering I almost never consider anyone outside of the typical Spider-Man cast, but they just seem really compatible here. The best way to notice this here would be to read the Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1.

I also loved how Gwen Stacy died in this series, of coarse it was expected because as revamped as the series is, all the big steps in the series reflect moments in the original Spidey series, so, yeah. In the Amazing Spider-Man series Gwen died by a fight between Spider-Man and the Green Goblin, won't tell the specifics. Here, Carnage gets to her. Not as climatic, but this series really knows how to pile on drama.

There were quite a few points in this series where I caught myself crying!! One was Gwen's death, another was Pete's speech in the "Detention" issue, and lastly in Ultimate Spider-Man Special #1 where Peter made yet another speech, this one about the path of a hero. Yeah, I know, I'm a wimp when it comes to this stuff! :laugh:

I really can't give an overall rating for this series, mainly because of too many issues. There are always ups and downs in series, so I'd just finish up and say, I highly recommend this to anyone. :thumbup:  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:53:45 PM by addicted2comics(:P) »

snowcat

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 09:54:56 AM »
All of the Ultimates series were heavily criticised but I actually really enjoyed Spider-man, X-men was ok... but I enjoyed Spidy more.... my favourite issue is issue 7 I believe.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »
Hahaha, yeah! That's probably one of my favorites too! I especially loved how

(click to show/hide)

Sorry for the spoiler print, not sure if that'll give anything away, but still......

snowcat

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2010, 09:29:17 AM »
Haha, I did enjoy that arc, Ultimate Spider-man was a very interesting take. Ive recommended it to people who have never read comics before and wanted to get in to Spider-man, its not as intense and Amazing Spidy.

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:14 AM »
Not as intense? I broke into tears 3 times while reading this!

Ok, maybe thats just cuz I'm a wimp. :P lol

Critter

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 04:42:52 AM »
I'm usually not a fan of Manga, but this is actually really good! If you feel stuck at you're job, or you need help on where you wanna go,

I'm curious to know which manga you have read in the past to make you not really a fan of it? I've read a lot of manga and I can't imagine really reading one so bad that it would turn me off, although I suppose there is the chance that you just had a bad helping.

snowcat

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Not as intense? I broke into tears 3 times while reading this!

Ok, maybe thats just cuz I'm a wimp. :P lol

:laugh:

Read all the issues of Amazing Spidy :laugh: tell me how many times you cry

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 11:50:54 PM »
But its up in the 600s now!!  :o Close to 700s! If not, there! I'll put that off a little while thank you! And funny you should mention Amazing Spider-Man, because.....

Amazing Spider-Man #39-40 (1966)

Format: Digital

Writer: Stan Lee

Artist: John Romita, Sr.

Summary: After learning Spider-Man's secret identity, the Green Goblin kidnaps Peter Parker in a attempt to kill him after the ultimate revenge has been set in motion.

My Thoughts: Wow, for part of the 1st issue it was Deja Vu all over again because, well, I saw the 90s cartoon! :P The whole time I kept thinking "Poor Aunt May..." because of her current condition here. How this was the "End of the Green Goblin" was not a surprise to me because.......hm.....was the ending in the 90s cartoon too? Seems familiar, either that or I've read too many spoilers at Marvel.com......

Anyways, not exactly sure what to rate this, but this arch here is a definite Spider-Man/Stan Lee classic!  Big  :thumbup: !!!

snowcat

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »
;P Yeah! 600!

I wont pretend I remember every issue but Ive read around 400 of them :S I should catch up! ... that was a strange summer holiday :p

Rogmeister

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
I think this must have been one of the earlier issues that John Romita drew.  He had a long run on Spidey, following on Steve Ditko's run.  I've read this probably in reprint edition.  I don't think I was reading the comic when it originally came out.  I may not have started buying this title (and other Marvel comics) until around 1968 or so...

snowcat

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
Heads up comic book fans!

its free Comic Book Day on Saturday! (May 1st) get down to your local store and take advantage ;P

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »
Awesome!!!

Except I don't live near a comic book store.  :-\

Critter

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2010, 04:20:10 AM »
So I actually went to my towns very small comic book store today. They didn't have too many options for free books but I ended up just grabbing a random one becuase I liked the art on the cover.
So I ended up with this.

snowcat

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 09:42:53 AM »
Awesome!!!

Except I don't live near a comic book store.  :-\

ROAD TRIP!

Well, Its Saturday morning and I have to work all day... so, I have entrusted a couple of friends to hit three comic book stores for me to get the ones I want! Certain free comics are always harder to find then others :K