Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!  (Read 14395 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 11:18:47 PM »
Oh yeah...for some reason, I forgot all about that one. 

I used to be pro-DC myself.  I still prefer them and have a lot more of the DC reprint collections than I do Marvel.  I have a ton of DC Archive books though I do have a few Marvel ones...mainly a couple Fantastic Four ones and one or two reprints of their "Golden Age" collectioins (stories from the 1940s).

Have you ever tried any of the Image line?  I assume they're still around but, as I've said, I don't read any regular comics anymore.

I'm currently reading an Image graphic novel, first volume of the Wolfman. Looks pretty cool so far.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »
You guys won't believe this, but I got a job reading comic books for volunteer work!! :P Its to make sure nothing inappropriate gets to the school library.
That is awesome! At least you get to read the inappropriate stuff now ;)

Rogmeister

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
Maybe you even get to KEEP the inappropriate stuff?   :hmmmm:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »
 :laugh: Don't get her hopes up now Roger. Who knows it could be a deal where they have to send back what they can't use. But it would be nice.  :thumbup:
Pete

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
well, so far as the Wolfman, my current job, there are some parts we'd need to go over cuz they're kinda gory, dad, you'd like it! If it does check out I'm borrowing it for dad, if it doesn't idk what'll happen.

btw, 3 reviews coming up! First one is for 3 comics, and/or the series in general. Stay tuned! ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:46:22 PM by addicted2comics(:P) »

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:17 PM »

Spider-Man 2099 - #5, #7, #10 (1993)

Format: Paperback

Writer: Peter David

Artist: Rick Leonardi

Summary: Miguel O'Hara, told he was poisoned by Tyler Stone with an addictive drug called Rapture for quitting after Alchemax fatally used a criminal as a test subject to expedite research, tried to purge his body clean on a genetic level. Once the drug was bound to his system, he would need it for the rest of his life. Since only Alchemax legally sold the drug, Miguel would have been forced to continue employment at Alchemax or buy the drug through the black market. His experiment to genetically rest his body was sabotaged by his jealous supervisor, Aaron Delgato, accidentally endowing Miguel with fantastic spider-like abilities. After an explosion in the lab, Delgato apparently fell to his death while Miguel fled, realizing his new powers as he avoided the Alchemax sponsored Public Eye security patrol.

My Thoughts: First, let me explain something. The summary was that of his origin. It'd take too long for me to right out the plot, and considering it's only these three comics that I've read, aside from the origin issues digitally, I have a shaky knowledge of the plot myself. Moving on from there....

The writers did what I thought was impossible. 1) make Spider-Man dark (aside from the symbiote suit) and 2) make a good Spider-Man that isn't Peter Parker!! You can really feel Miguel's greif in the series, and although I was never a fan of the dark-toned comics, that's something I've gotta respect. The writers made the family issues and such clear and sprinkled it all with a little humor. Awesome costume too. There are some things I don't like about this series, such as the fact that this Spider-Man's a killer, but it's not like he had Aunt May to comfort him, so that's ok.I gotta say, I was pretty impressed with the series from what I've read, and give it a 4.5 out of 5.

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »
well, I'll go ahead and announce the next one's gonna be Spectacular Spider-Girl #11.

I'm thinking I'll review every issue as I read the new ones each month, bnut no way I'm going over the last two series she's had, though!!!

Rogmeister

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I remember reading Spider-Man 2099's first several issues when it came out.  As you can guess from the title, it was set far in the future from the "now" of Marvel's main titles.  There were a few other 2099 titles though I don't recall what all the other ones were.  I remember liking this one...the others I wasn't so crazy about...but I really don't remember the storylines much.  Peter David is definitely one of comics' better writers so I'm not too surprised you like the storylines.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »

Spectacular Spider-Girl #11 (2010)

Format: Digital

Writers: Tom DeFalco, Ron Frenz

Artist: Sal Buscema

Summary: The gang war heats up and watch for a last page reveal that will rock Mayday Parker's world! SOMEONE's coming to town...and a lifelong war on crime is rekindled.

My Thoughts: Well, first off, sorry about the kinda fuzzy pic, there was none online that I could find cuz the series is released in the back of Web of Spider-Man so the only place I could find the cover art was over at the Marvel Digital comics, which I happen to be subscribed to and read this in the first place.

Back the the actual book, I just loved how they led us on that May's friend Wes may have known her secret, but was talking about a kiss with her "cousin" the whole time, who btw in this series is a clone that's a symbiote hybrid, but there's controversy as to whether or not May is the real clone. In the gang war, I like how its getting all dramatic, Spider-Girl having no allies. Black Tarantula, the ploice, all against her. I'm sitting here awaitng the time when April (the clone) turns on her, a sweet twist I just know will happen and I can't wait to see where the writers take it from there!All this anticipation building up, can't help but give it a 5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:16:47 PM by addicted2comics(:P) »

Rogmeister

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
Wow, you mean Sal Buscema is still alive and working?  I remember his work as far back as the 1970s.  He did a bit of work I recall at DC but I think the vast majority of work he did was definitely for Marvel...including work in Rom and Conan and others.  I'm familiar with the writers, too.

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »

Hit-Monkey #1 (2010)

Format: Digital

Writer: Daniel Way

Artist: Frank Cho

Summary: A troubled soul, set upon a path of vengeance he does not understand. An assassin without equal, trained in the most secret of killing techniques. A flesh and blood specter, haunting the killers of the world. A monkey.

My Thoughts: Before you guiys go and laugh you're heads off, I'm going to inform you that this is actually a very serious series. Yeah, I was shocked too. Seeing the previews I didn't go in expecting much. Thought I would hate it. I was actually very impressed by this book. For those who haven't read, a tribe of monkeys takes in a dieing assassin and healed him. More assassins came and killed him and the monkey tribe. The surviving monkeys killed all of them and became a killer of killers. The art just leaves me thinkin' "whoa" in all of the shoot-out scenes, and this is definitely more creative of a character than I've seen in a long time, I mean, a monkey??? No doubt about it here, this gets a 5 out of 5.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 10:02:42 AM »
If you like Frank Cho's artwork then try to get a hold of his Liberty Meadows books.

They're  :hysterical: :hysterical: and really good looking too.

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 07:09:54 PM »
 :hmmmm: never heard of it, but may check it out. thx for the heads up.

idk what I want to do next as far as what I have and what I can read. May do some recent DP issues #19, #20, but I want to wait until I read part 3. In my collection left I have the special sideways edition of Spider-Man and the X-Force #1 and a marvel origins comic. There are tons in digital. Anyone have suggestions?

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
The Wolf Man! :D
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 12:48:05 AM »
;P

My suggestions are

Animal man
We3
Lockjaw and the pet avengers
Invincible Ironman

;P all available around the net!