Author Topic: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!  (Read 14394 times)

addicted2comics(:P)

Re: Addicted2comics(:P)'s Comic Book Review Thread!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 08:37:05 PM »
hmmm........

thinking about posting my opinion on a mini. One at a time or group review?? :shrug:

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:02:58 AM »
ok, well, never mind I got a pretty good idea of what I want to do now. Until then, how about a personal favorite of mine? And please, dad, when you see this, NO VAMPIRE JOKES!!! ::)

Confessions of a Teenage Vampire #1 - The Turning (1997)

Format: Paperback

Writer: Terry M. West

Artist: Steve Ellis

Summary: Lily Jorden was always bullied. Many thought her a geek, a nerd, but thought herself more of a loner. Still, she met a friend, Master Lemachard,  who moved into an old historical house she often was fascinated by. What she didn't know, was the evil Sang came to conquer her friend, as he is one of them, turned good by a formula of his invention that suppresses a vampire's appetite. Lily couldn't save him, but his legacy is passed on as she has joined the undead, until the day she defeats Sang.

My Thoughts: I always enjoyed a good vampire story, and this was Blade and Buffy the Vampire Slayer all wrapped up in one! Lily is a very relatable character, has an understandable obsession with history, and my only regret about this book is that I never read its sequel, Zombie Saturday Night. 5 out of 5!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
You guys won't believe this, but I got a job reading comic books for volunteer work!! :P Its to make sure nothing inappropriate gets to the school library. Here is the first I read!

Green Arrow - Year One (2006)

Format: Hardcover

Writer: Andy Diggle

Artist: Jock

Summary: Oliver Queen is a frivolous playboy with little care for anyone or anything — apparently even himself. But when he's double-crossed and marooned on a desert island he finds that he does care about something... justice!

My Thoughts: I personally never got into Green Arrow, all be it DC in general, but giving it a read, I have to say I realize why Batman and him compete - they're both rich, seen as playboys, fight crime with no powers - only difference being Oliver's roots are more self-centered. I loved the idea of the whole "Robin Hood" fixation, I mean, how else explain the bow and arrow? I especially enjoyed the introduction of the "exploding arrow".  Still, the mood was a little dramatic for my taste - not saying its bad, just saying its not my favorite style of writing. It is a good plot however. I give it a 4 out of 5.

snowcat

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »
Green Arrow is my second favourite DC Character, my favourite being Animal Man. I just love Ollie :p

When Green Arrow was released he was a deliberate competition for Batman... in fact a few years ago in an issue of GA Batman said to him "Have you ever had an original idea in your life?" ... it was a knock back to his year one days  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:02:52 PM »
I never even heard of Animal Man.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »
I remember Animal Man.  I believe he started in the 60s back in the science fiction title Strange Adventures.  He had the ability to mimic the abilities of animals...fly like a bird, get the strength of a gorilla, etc.  He had to be near an animal to do it and his abilities lasted a limited amount of time.  Eventually, he got a series in DC's Vertigo line and his comic got rather strange.  I think I may still have a trade paperback around here somewhere that collects the first 9 issues of his Vertigo comic if I remember correctly.

snowcat

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
Correct Roger.

Animal Man, or Buddy Baker, was later found to have got his powers from an alien experiment. he lost his powers frequently, and even had his entire family killed off... (which caused him to seek out the writer of his universe to question him about the death of his wife and children, a very good issue ;P)

After Animal Man's Vertigo series, he disappeared.. returned for the DC ark 52 where he became very good friends with Starfire of the Teen Titans, he helped her through a rough patch and stayed for awhile, very recently he had a 6 issue mini series, where he permanently lost his powers.. it was very sad but I always hope he will get them back :(

I would recommend Animal man's vertigo stories to everyone, he has three trade paperbacks covering the first issues of animal man... (everything written by Grant Morrison.

Animal man is a great character because hes not over powered and he has a real family problems, and limits...

His powers also taught him to become a strict vegetarian :p

...when he takes on an animal he doesnt become that animal... just gains there powers (flight, super strength, ability to breathe under water.) but he has grown claws and a few other things on ocassion.

Anyway :p Animal man is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Man

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:31:03 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:22 PM »
hmm......'fraid I never ran into the guy before now,

but really I'm still all about Marvel  :P I like what I like, and I like Spider-
Man, X-Men, X-Force, Heroes for Hire, MU2, SHIELD and such. :)

Rogmeister

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »
Well, what about the Marvel/DC crossovers?  Like the couple of times Spider-Man met Superman?  Or the time he met Batman?  And are they still doing these occasional crossovers?  I remember one of the last ones I read was Superman meeting up with the Fantastic Four...

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 10:45:35 PM »
I only got to read the crossover where the Avengers teamed up with the Justice League to save their collapsing universes, and its not even mine.

I think you sent it to dad, Rog. You or another one of his online friends, but that's the only crossover I ever got to read. :(

Rogmeister

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
Oh yeah...for some reason, I forgot all about that one. 

I used to be pro-DC myself.  I still prefer them and have a lot more of the DC reprint collections than I do Marvel.  I have a ton of DC Archive books though I do have a few Marvel ones...mainly a couple Fantastic Four ones and one or two reprints of their "Golden Age" collectioins (stories from the 1940s).

Have you ever tried any of the Image line?  I assume they're still around but, as I've said, I don't read any regular comics anymore.

Najemikon

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:01 PM »
Judge Dredd has dealt with Batman several times. Tried to arrest him for being a vigilante! :laugh: Made for really good stories. He's also had a crossover with Lobo, I seem to remember.

Other crossovers I liked were the proper versions of Aliens Versus Predator (so much better than the films) and Robocop Versus Terminator (nuts, but great fun!).

Rogmeister

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »
I seem to recall a Batman Vs. Predator crossover...didn't Batman also meet up with the Aliens?  Or is it my imagination?

I remember enjoying the early DC/Marvel crossovers because they were published in the huge "Treasury" edition sizes.  They did one Superman/Spider-Man one...then they did a new batch.  They did another Superman/Spider-Man one which also included The Incredible Hulk and Wonder Woman, then a Batman Vs. Hulk one (I think Wonder Woman was originally supposed to be in that instead of Batman but her TV show got canceled which caused a change of plans).  Then there was an X-Men/Teen Titans one but that was done in a normal dimensions comic.  I also remember a few crossovers involving Image characters such as Superman and The Savage Dragon and a few others.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
I have read a He-Man and the Master of the Universe/Superman crossover in the past. Strange what kind of crossovers there are.

snowcat

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
:p What about the Amalgam universe?

Batman combined with Wolverine, Dark Claw

Ironman and Green Lanter - Iron Lantern

:p im sure there was a deadpool one.

... ;P I prefer Marvel, which is why I think I like Animal man... he always seemed like more of a marvel character in style to me.