Poll

Which of the five films nominated, is your pick for Best film.

No Country for Old Men
0 (0%)
Atonement
1 (20%)
Juno
3 (60%)
Michael Clayton
0 (0%)
There Will Be Blood
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: 2008 Alternative Oscars  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
2008 Alternative Oscars
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner:No Country for Old Men (2007) - Scott Rudin; Ethan Coen; Joel Coen

Other Nominees:
Atonement (2007) - Tim Bevan (I); Eric Fellner; Paul Webster (I)
Juno (2007) - Lianne Halfon; Mason Novick; Russell Smith (IV)
Michael Clayton (2007) - Sydney Pollack; Jennifer Fox (I); Kerry Orent
There Will Be Blood (2007) - JoAnne Sellar; Paul Thomas Anderson; Daniel Lupi

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Alternative Oscars
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
While I liked No Country for Old Men and thought it was the best film that the Coen brothers had made in years, in no way could I see it as a better film than Atonement. Atonement had a strong screenplay, lush cinematography and outstanding performances from all the lead actors, especially Saoirse Ronan, who was robbed by the choice of Tilda Swinton as Best Supporting Actress.

As for the other films nominated, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked Michael Clayton, as I am somewhat pre-disposed to dismissing anything starring George Clooney as Hollywood fodder.

I thought Juno was overrated and didn't deserve its nomination.

There Will Be Blood would have been my choice for Best Picture if Atonement hadn't been there.

Ranking the five films:

Atonement
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men
Michael Clayton
Juno

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »
I once listened to a podcast review where they criticized that the film called Atonement was actually lacking the main character's atonement... I have seen it.

I have seen two from this list (No Country For Old Men and Juno, the former clearly the better film) and own a third one (There Will Be Blood) which is yet unwatched. My feeling says There Will Be Blood potentially could give the actual winner a run for its money.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 06:54:30 PM »
I have only seen "Atonement" and "Juno". Juno is a nice enough movie, but not Oscar material. Atonement I saw in the cinema and I did enjoy it. But not enough to get it on DVD yet. But it is obvious Oscar material. It has everything that the Academy seems to go for. The one thing I still vividly remember from that movie is the unnecessary five minute beach scene with one continuous camera move. It just did not fit the movie and was completely unnecessary for the plot.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
... (No Country For Old Men and Juno, the former clearly the better film) ...

I'm with Roger Ebert on this one who said (I'm paraphrasing) his head tells him No Country, but his heart chooses Juno. Atonement I liked well enough, but I've watched it only once and I'm not sure how well it will hold up (it's one of those twist movies). Haven't seen the other two and don't particularly care for them, although I might give There Will Be Blood a try some day.

2007/08 was a really strong year with a lot of great movies and also one of those rare years where most of the nominations across categories where at least deserved.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:14:59 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
I can't deny No Country For Old Men its success. I love the film and thought it was superb. As too was Atonement, but to be honest, Antares, I'm surprised you would pick it out of those. If one takes a step back, it can be a bit obvious and manipulative.

I stress I'm only being picky for the purposes of this thread.

There Will Be Blood I thought was one of the best American films for years. And it's a proper film too that demands attention through its extraordinary craft. I've seen it once and over the past few weeks I've been yearning to see it again and just need the time. I think time will separate it from those others and it will be seen as one of the most worthwhile recent contributions to cinema as an art.

Matthias, I got There Will Be Blood around the same time as The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (damn that title!) and like that film I think you would like this one. I can't be absolutely sure, as I never am with you! ;) But still I would encourage you to try it.

I'm in full agreement with Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's long-suffering expression and their argument is great!

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »
My favorite direcgtor in the universe, ever, ever, ever (I can't say how much I love him, its scary) is PT Anderson.

However I did not enjoy "There will be Blood" something I was so sad about.

However I did love Juno, its was realistic and delt with an issue in a clever way, it was very sad.

my vote would be for Juno because I love the film.... But I love PT :( and I wanted him to win.

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
You did say the other day that Magnolia is your favourite film? I do think There Will Be Blood was his best so far, but then it is rather different to what he's done before. It may be, Emma, that if you saw it again you'd enjoy it more. Like Kermode trying to persuade Mayo to see it more than once... :laugh:

snowcat

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »
Maybe I will watch it again, I just don't think it can beat Magnolia, Boogie Nights or Hard Eight :(

Ill try again at the weekend though

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 12:03:32 AM »
As too was Atonement, but to be honest, Antares, I'm surprised you would pick it out of those.

Don't get me wrong, I liked TWBB, but one of the most important things I judge when I evaluate a film is that films ability to make me want to see it again and again. While I thought it was a superbly crafted film, TWBB storyline is not something conducive to meeting that criteria. That and the acting in the final scene by Paul Dano, was a little too over the top for my liking and that tipped the scales for me to Atonement.

P.T. Anderson reminds me so much of Martin Scorcese, he too makes startlingly tight films that can be engrossing, but always leave me a little unsatisfied in my desire to see them again. It's not a knock, it's just the way their films affect me.