Poll

Which of the five films nominated, is your pick for Best film.

The Departed
4 (44.4%)
Babel
0 (0%)
Letters From Iwo Jima
1 (11.1%)
Little Miss Sunshine
4 (44.4%)
The Queen
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: 2007 Alternative Oscars  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
2007 Alternative Oscars
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:29:40 PM »
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner: The Departed (2006) - Graham King (I)

Other Nominees:
Babel (2006) - Alejandro González Iñárritu; Jon Kilik; Steve Golin
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) - Clint Eastwood; Steven Spielberg; Robert Lorenz (I)
Little Miss Sunshine (2006) - David T. Friendly; Peter Saraf; Marc Turtletaub
The Queen (2006) - Andy Harries; Christine Langan; Tracey Seaward

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 Alternative Oscars
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
I haven't seen Babel yet, and I've only seen a little over half of The Departed, but I liked what I saw. And it was high time the Academy righted the wrongs of the past. Scorcese for my vote.

But if Scorcese's film wasn't there, I probably would have gone for Letters From Iwo Jima, which was first rate.  :thumbup:

The Queen was good, but nothing special outside of Helen Mirren's performance, and what the f#@%'s the deal with Little Miss Sunshine getting nominated?

A cute film yes, but Best Picture of the year material, I think not.

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:40:32 PM »
Difficult year this. I thought The Departed was marvellous and Scorcese was back on form and he directed the hell out of it, so on that basis, I thought it was deserved. However, it is a remake of Infernal Affairs, which I thought was better.

The other choices all have superb merits, though I wasn't too keen on Babel. Little Miss Sunshine was wonderful in its own little way so I wouldn't have complained if that had won, but I'd have certainly been surprised and would have declared that yes, the Academy definitely hate Scorcese! Nor could I have denied Letters. The Queen was also very good, but I suppose because the story was so recognisable, I struggled to give it worthy enough status. Still, no complaints had it have won.

I haven't seen Babel yet, and I've only seen a little over half of The Departed, but I liked what I saw. And it was high time the Academy righted the wrongs of the past. Scorcese for my vote.

But if Scorcese's film wasn't there, I probably would have gone for Letters From Iwo Jima, which was first rate.  :thumbup:

The Queen was good, but nothing special outside of Helen Mirren's performance, and what the f#@%'s the deal with Little Miss Sunshine getting nominated?

A cute film yes, but Best Picture of the year material, I think not.

Have you seen Infernal Affairs?

snowcat

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
One vote for Little Miss Sunshine form me.

Ok so, lets see. Little Miss Sunshine for me was more of a character study, and a study so clever that it was well worthy of its nomination

I was so happy to see Steve Carell do something serious it changed my opinion of him, I really thought he was a one trick pony. (of course I went on to see Dan in Real Life later on)

The hype for this film made its sound like a car crash, and absolutely terrible theme, I didn't dream that I would enjoy it at all.

its quirky and sweet, and well worth the hype it received, it even had a nice message that leaves a sickly sweet feeling in your stomach.

Whilst I admit the end left alot to be desired the middle of the film to me was perfect.
(click to show/hide)

and so it would definitely be my pick

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
Have you seen Infernal Affairs?

Not yet... so many films, so little time.  ;)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
One vote for Little Miss Sunshine form me.

Ok so, lets see. Little Miss Sunshine for me was more of a character study, and a study so clever that it was well worthy of its nomination

I was so happy to see Steve Carell do something serious it changed my opinion of him, I really thought he was a one trick pony. (of course I went on to see Dan in Real Life later on)

The hype for this film made its sound like a car crash, and absolutely terrible theme, I didn't dream that I would enjoy it at all.

its quirky and sweet, and well worth the hype it received, it even had a nice message that leaves a sickly sweet feeling in your stomach.

Whilst I admit the end left alot to be desired the middle of the film to me was perfect.
(click to show/hide)

and so it would definitely be my pick

That's what killed it for me, the ending.

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
I think the ending killed it for alot of people, and I mean the last minute or so ending
(click to show/hide)

It built up and built up to this point where I expected the perfect climax, then fizzled out...

snowcat

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »

It built up and built up to this point where I expected the perfect climax, then fizzled out...

:-X

Sounds familiar.... (I thought id make the joke first  :P)

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:09:01 PM »
Damn! You should let us have our fun with such comments, Emma! :redcard:

snowcat

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
LOL, Jon feel free to make comments :p

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
Damn! You should let us have our fun with such comments, Emma! :redcard:

Agreed!!!!  :redcard:  :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »
I'm seen all of the films on this list once and enjoyed them all. But, there is only one that I have watched several times and that film gets my vote :thundergod: Little Miss Sunshine :thundergod:.

I didn't mind the scenes that others did not care for - maybe a little slow but "killed it"? absolutely not. I'll have to watch it again but for now I'm changing my comment, I liked those scenes too.

I love when a film can make me laugh out loud and this film made me cry from laughing more than once.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 01:18:15 AM »
And again I only saw two of the nominated movies: "The Departed" and "Little Miss Sunshine". Of those two I enjoyed "Little Miss Sunshine" the most. Actually I didn't like "The Departed" all that much.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:04:29 AM by Tom »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:06 AM »
Seemed to be a rather weak selection, although I have only seen the The Queen.
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 07:13:52 AM »
Actually I didn't like "The Departed" all that much.
Have you seen the original? I thought The Departed was a worthy remake, but I can see someone taking issue with it. However, it clearly won more as a nod to Scorcese than on it's own merits (it is an able contender!).

Little Miss Sunshine is a great little flick and, like Kathy, made me laugh a lot (and cry a little too).

Babel has an interesing structure, but the eventual revela of the connection bewteen all stories feels, while fun, a little gimmicky.

I have not seen The Queen (might want to ctach it on TV) or Letters of Iwo Jima (just doesn't grab my interest somehow).