Author Topic: Need Stargate help  (Read 1702 times)

MEJHarrison

Need Stargate help
« on: December 13, 2007, 06:55:58 AM »
First of all, I believe I read here recently that this site pretty much has no rules.  I've looked and can't find any.  So if this post is out of place, I apologize in advance and will delete it.

So, in season 8 of Stargate SG-1, they aired an episode titleed Threads.  Originally it was 90 minutes (60 without commercials).  In syndication, it got shortened to 60 minutes (about 43 without commercials).  Unfortunately, they placed the shorted episode on the DVDs.  There was an exchange program, but it ended in the spring of 2006 I believe.  So as far as I can tell, there's no way to get the proper version at this point unless you get lucky.

I picked up season 8 a month ago at Target and as luck would have it, I have the shortened version.  I can't get an official replacement.  And since the set is now opened, I can't return it.  So, does anyone have any other ideas on how to obtain a copy of this episode?  I'd gladly pay someone for a copy of the proper version.  I'm also open to other ideas.  I'm just over the halfway point of season 6 so I have a little while before I get there.  But it would be nice to see the complete version when the time comes.  Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

schultzy

Re: Need Stargate help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:11:00 AM »
I know you don't really want to buy the season again, according to Wikipedia (as well as comments on Amazon) the rerelease of the season in the thinpack cases has the version you want.  You can always sale (craig's list, ebay, etc) the season 8 you have if you buy the rerelease.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:52:26 AM »
I have the new thinpack version.  I just bought it about a month ago.  That's why I didn't even bother checking because I assumed I had a fixed version.  If I thought it would be as easy as just buying a new set, I'd go for it.  But I'm afraid I'd just get the wrong one again.  If you look at the last post in this thread at DVD Talk, you'll see I'm not the only one who got the wrong version.  So mine certainly isn't an isolated case.

Thanks for the idea anyway. :(

By the way, if you look at this thread I posted above, you'll see that someone else ran into the same problem and three separate emails to MGM have gotten him nowhere.  I would truly like to setting this honestly, but I'm not seeing any options.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:54:47 AM by Mark Harrison »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »
...three separate emails to MGM have gotten him nowhere.  I

MGM :voodoo:

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
This is one of the reasons piracy of some form will continue. Distributors themselves are not operating honestly or transparently.

A few weeks ago I bought a cheap boxset containing Ice Age, Robots and Chicken Run. I already had two of them, but because it was cheap, I sell them on Ebay. But I can't sell my original Chicken Run because although the boxset lists the specifications as being identical, it's barebones and no DTS. They haven't responded to numerous attempts to contact them; I'm on the verge of contacting Trading Standards! All the shop offers is a refund, but I'm giving up two films.

schultzy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:41:39 PM »
I read through that post and it looks like to even possibly get the version you want you have to buy the slimpak that Sony distributed and not Fox.  Not that fixes your problem.  You can also try ebay for the version you want.  I am full of ideas, but don't count on them to always work or make sense.

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »
I checked my S8 box, and it is the slimpak and it still has the Sony logo on it. So I checked the length of the episode, and DVD Decrypter reports the episode length as ~65 minutes, so looks like I have the full version.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »
Couldn't you make yourself a *cough* backup and deposit it somewhere remote and save, let's say at Mark's home?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 10:55:18 PM »
Couldn't you make yourself a *cough* backup and deposit it somewhere remote and save, let's say at Mark's home?

Can't do this! That would be against the «law»  :whistle: ;) :heat: