Author Topic: Tooth Fairy  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Tooth Fairy
« on: February 24, 2010, 02:43:48 AM »
Yes, I actually went to see Tooth Fairy.  I expected it to be silly and that was fine with me since I like silly movies at times.  I also usually end up liking movies with Dwayne Johnson.  I think he’s very entertaining.

Derek Thompson is a tough hockey player who has the nickname Tooth Fairy because he knocks out the teeth of other players frequently.  After he almost tells Tess, the young daughter of his girlfriend, that the tooth fairy isn’t real, Derek finds himself summoned to fairyland and sentenced to serve as a tooth fairy. 

The plot is very thin and silly, though I do think it works overall for the movie.  This is just a fun, entertaining family friendly movie that isn’t intended to be taken seriously.  Most of the movie is focused on Derek trying to be a tooth fairy.  The humor is focused on that too, with the mishaps he encounters.  A lot of the humor is silly, but again, that works for the movie.   This is a predictable movie even though there are a few minor surprises here and there. 

Dwayne Johnson does fine with the part.  I think he has a lot of charisma and think he has picked interesting and varied parts.  I know he has gotten some flack for doing more family friendly movies, but he does well with them.  It takes a very secure man to take on some of the parts he’s taken.  Ashley Judd is in a few scenes as Carly, Derek’s boyfriend.  Judd is fine in the part, though she doesn’t have enough to work with.  Billy Crystal is horribly under used as the keeper of the gadgets that tooth fairies use.  Julie Andrews also is under used, though she does well with what she has to work with.

The movie is silly, but still entertaining.  It isn’t one for everyone.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Tooth Fairy

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Tooth Fairy
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:14:11 AM »
Derek Thompson is a tough hockey player who has the nickname Tooth Fairy because he knocks out the teeth of other players frequently.
One of the reasons why I will never watch it. I don't like when our national sport is presented this way, those days are long gone... The only places where this kind of over the top violence continue to happen are in the junior league (no talent player because of film like that) and senior league (freak show for redneck violent hockey fans with never been players).

But don't get me wrong I like a movie like Slap Shot because in those years it was the way it was. But it isn't anymore...

Of course the other reason is Dwayne Johnson, he can't act just like Hulk Hogan or Jesse Ventura before him...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:17:16 AM »
Derek was back in the minor leagues..he'd been in the NHL and then got hurt..evidently it took him longer to recover and one night he took out his frustration on another player and the fans liked it..so he kept it up.

I think Dwayne Johnson is a decent actor..definitely better than Jesse Ventura and Hulk Hogan.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:15:40 AM »
Dwayne Johnson clearly needs a director to properly guide him, then he will be acceptable (Barry Sonnenfeld got such results from him). If the director just lets him loose then the result is accordingly. I agree that he is clearly better than those other two.