Author Topic: American TV Shows schedules - What's the logic ?  (Read 2043 times)

Touti

American TV Shows schedules - What's the logic ?
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:38:42 PM »
Can anyone find logic behind the way American TV channels keep messing the schedules ?  I've never seen anything like this until I started watching American TV Shows a few years ago.  Why are they always alternating between new episodes, replays or no episodes at all ?  :shrug:

"V" has got to be the most ridiculous one, it was announced with drums and trumpets, when it finally starts there's only 4 episodes and then it goes away for almost four months, coming back sometimes in March.

Grey's Anatomy seems to have a pattern of 3 new episodes followed by 1 replay.

Mercy keeps alternating between a few new episodes then a few replays then a few episodes again.

Why are they doing things this way ?  TV was never like that in Quebec, when a new season starts you get only new episodes, if they started alternating between new and old like this people would shoot them here.

As it always been like that in the states ?

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: American TV Shows schedules - What's the logic ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:57:17 AM »
I think it always has been that way.  At least as long as I can remember.

During certain times, they show reruns because they think they won't get good ratings..like against the Olympics now.  After a certain point in December, it goes to reruns.  During the World Series.  Crap like that.  It has always annoyed me.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 02:04:38 AM »
Anything will got good rating against the olympic coverage that you get from NBC in the US :laugh:
Seriously I'm glad that our network here know how to broadcast events like that...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »
It is annoying how the coverage is being handled here.  Bouncing around between various events, several of which I don't want to see.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:31 AM »
Don't know if it works for the US, but here in Canada, you can't beat ctvolympics.ca (or rdsolympiques.ca if you prefer french).

Everything is broadcast, live, in streaming HD (though I question the HD claim - my analog TV capture card gives video that is just as good, of not even better at times!) AND you can replay any event from beginning to end anytime you want!

And a bonus? When you replay an event - it gets rid of the insipid commentators!!  :yahoo:  You can actually hear the skis carve the snow, the skates cut the ice or the bobs scraping the crazy ice-track!

Winter Olympics have always been my favourite - and the way they are broadcast on the web? I love it!

Oh and:
Go Joannie! The nation's behind you!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:00:06 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:14:59 AM »
I'll have to see if that will work for me.  I would love to see all the figure skating instead of just a few here and there until the final 5 or so skaters.  Highly annoying.

RossRoy

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 03:30:31 AM »
Hope it works for you - because I'm currently watching 2 events at the same time: Canada vs Germany in Hockey and Short Program Ladies' Figure skating - and they are showing each skaters.  :thumbup:

Add to that Women's Duo Bobsleigh ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:33:42 AM by RossRoy »

Rogmeister

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 03:50:58 AM »
Back in the 1950s (in the days of Have Gun Will Travel and Alfred Hitchcock Presents), you got as many as 39 episodes in a TV season.  But now, 22 episodes is the norm.  If they want to have new episodes from September to May, they have to sift in a liberal amount of reruns.  Or else they'd have shown all the new episodes by the end of February.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:18:58 AM »
Hope it works for you - because I'm currently watching 2 events at the same time: Canada vs Germany in Hockey and Short Program Ladies' Figure skating - and they are showing each skaters.  :thumbup:

Add to that Women's Duo Bobsleigh ;)

Sheesh..I've only seen 2 of the women skate.   :redcard:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 04:26:20 AM »
I just tired and the video won't load. :( 

Touti

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:34:41 AM »

Go Joannie! The nation's behind you!

Seb do you know at what time she's supposed to "hit" the ice.............hoping of course that she doesn't litterally HIT the ice  ;D

Courageous girl, I think many in the rest of the world also will be cheering for her tonight.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 04:52:59 AM »
She is 26th to skate.  Supposed to start at 20:27:30

RossRoy

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 05:25:25 AM »
Joannie's next up after warmup!

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:34:55 AM »
I'm glad I flipped back in time to see her.

Touti

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »
Could someone go punch the fucking moron who brought his TV camera 3 inches from her face ?  Give her a goddamn break for Christ sake.