Poll

Which of the five films nominated, is your pick for Best film.

Slumdog Millionaire
4 (66.7%)
Frost/Nixon
0 (0%)
Milk
1 (16.7%)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
0 (0%)
The Reader
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: 2009 Alternative Oscars  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
2009 Alternative Oscars
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »
Best Motion Picture of the Year
Winner: Slumdog Millionaire (2008) - Christian Colson

Other Nominees:
Frost/Nixon (2008) - Brian Grazer; Ron Howard (I); Eric Fellner
Milk (2008/I) - Dan Jinks; Bruce Cohen
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) - Kathleen Kennedy (I); Frank Marshall (I); Ceán Chaffin
The Reader (2008) - Anthony Minghella; Sydney Pollack; Donna Gigliotti; Redmond Morris

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: 2009 Alternative Oscars
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
I have only seen "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". And although I liked both of them, I probably wouldn't have awarded them with "Best Picture". If I would have to choose between those two, then "Slumdog Millionaire" would be the winner.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »
This was one of those rare years where I feel that the Academy got it right. Slumdog Millionaire was the last of the five films nominated that I watched, and it definitely proved to be the cream of the crop.

The only other film that even gave it a race was Milk. Actually, before the ceremony, I thought for sure that Milk was going to get the award, knowing how PC Hollywood can be.

Ranking the five films:

Slumdog Millionaire
Milk
The Reader
Frost/Nixon
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:25:03 AM »
I'm actually still behind on those and have only seen Slumdog Millionaire, however, I really doubt the others are quite so deserving. In fact I think Slumdog is one of the best Best Picture winners for several years. For me it was perfect cinema. Classic Hollywood wish-fulfilment fantasy matched with vibrant, colourful modern techniques. Exactly the sort of film there should be more of so the Academy were absolutely right to award it.

While on the subject of awards, I've just watched the BAFTA's and if it's a barometer of this years Oscar's it will be interesting, but Avatar got swept aside rather decisively by The Hurt Locker, winning both Director and Film, plus Cinematography, Screenplay and Editing. Avatar did catch Production Design and Special Effects. Still, Titanic didn't get anything from BAFTA either and see how that turned out!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:21 AM »
None of them...
Just a bunch of boring Hollywood mainstream stuff, but Slumdog Millionaire is supposed to be not too bad. Of course there are not a single chance that I will ever see this unless I have the choice between watching it or being hit with a 2X4 plank all over my body for 2 hours...

And the plank hitting sound more exciting to me :whistle:

Critter

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:25 AM »
None of them...
Just a bunch of boring Hollywood mainstream stuff, but Slumdog Millionaire is supposed to be not too bad. Of course there are not a single chance that I will ever see this unless I have the choice between watching it or being hit with a 2X4 plank all over my body for 2 hours...

And the plank hitting sound more exciting to me :whistle:

My media teacher once told my whole class never to judge something unless you have seen it in it's entirety, or read it. I have not forgotten that which is why I will now watch almost any film to give it a go at least once. It's also why I watched the Twilight film becuase I felt I was unable to voice how terrible it was unless I had witnessed it. I find it strange that you immediatly cast all of these films as 'boring' without seeing even one of them.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:06:39 AM »
Sorry Sophie, but I call a cat a cat and not a tiger... I don't need to watch a film to know it's a pile of boring mainstream Hollywood crap... I respect my money too much to give it to someone who doesn't deserve it... We don't need to watch a film for knowing if it is good or not, the trailer and the reviews are made for that... But if you think that a biography channel movie with Sean Penn, a pretentious Kate Winslet love drama, a 2 hours long movie based on an interview, another look how Brad Pitt is cute film and an exploitation of poor kids are good movies go for it...

In my world there is no grey zone I like something or don't... I've watched enough films in my life to be able to know what is and what isn't a good movie for me... Do I need to watch Avatar to know it's just special effect without a script? Do I need to watch Percy Jackson & the Olympians to know it's kiddie stuff? Do I need to watch The Wolfman to know it's an incredible remake and a must buy?

Critter

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:13 AM »
Oh well everyone is different I suppose, I just like to keep an open mind.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
While I saw the answer coming from a mmile away I am still somewhat surprised about one of the arguments:

We don't need to watch a film for knowing if it is good or not, the trailer and the reviews are made for that...
:headscratch:

The second paragraph was much more reasonable as in explaining your position. ;) (and less harsh at that)

Other than that, I skipped voting since I only saw Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 08:18:25 AM by Achim »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
I know I was a little bit rough, I've thought of removing the first paragraph just after the message was posted but decided not too. Nothing personal (even if it sounds like it) I just don't like the film school teacher argument, since their role is to break the students creativity (as all the independant film director I know had told me, the film school is the worst place to learn how to do film). What I really wanted to say in that phrase is that we can get usually the feeling if a movie is good or not by the trailer and the reviews (or if you prefer if we will like it or not).  

snowcat

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »
I watched them all... with the most recent being Benjamin Button... and Slumdog when it was on TV a few months ago (I watched them on the same day)

I enjoyed Slumdog the most.. The story was very engaging, which I admit is often not the case in a film that spans so many years of a persons life, I feel that Benjamin Button was not as engaging.
Slumdog is just very Heart warming, and if you haven't read the book Q+A which it is based on Id recommend it

It may be mainstream Jimmy, But I have to agree with Critter, I would not criticise something until I had seen it which is why I found I actually enjoyed High School Musical.

Lets be honest, its completely subjective, and you are entitled to your opinion.

here is an example of people judging films :p

My favourite film is Magnolia, its 3 hours long and has about 6 stories in, sounds long boring and confusing to people... to top it off, you really have to think about the ending. I recommended this film to people tirelessly they all said, its too long, sounds boring or its stupid.... when we ended up watching a little bit of it in our script writing class, people were annoyed when our tutor ended it 30 minutes in, they watched it and loved it.

So it may be "boring mainstream Hollywood crap" but give it a try, borrow it from someone, its the first film in years that has united generations of my family... me, my mum and grandma all watched it together and loved it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:52:27 AM by Emma (snowcat) »

Critter

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
I know I was a little bit rough, I've thought of removing the first paragraph just after the message was posted but decided not too. Nothing personal (even if it sounds like it) I just don't like the film school teacher argument, since their role is to break the students creativity (as all the independant film director I know had told me, the film school is the worst place to learn how to do film). What I really wanted to say in that phrase is that we can get usually the feeling if a movie is good or not by the trailer and the reviews (or if you prefer if we will like it or not).  

It's okay, I may have sounded a bit rough too, what I meant was I always like to form my own opinion of a film first hand, instead of basing it on other peoples ideas through reviews. Also my teacher was a media teacher, not a 'film' teacher persay, film was only a part of what he taught us in that class. I thought he was a very good teacher and I learnt quite a bit from him about all forms of media worldwide. I actually found it to be my most useful subject in my final year of High School. Also I'm not so sure about the trailer thing, I have absolutly loved trailers in the past and disliked the film (Watchmen is an example of this), and other times thought the trailer was nothing special but then loved the film.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
Milk or Frost/Nixon may have their merits, but I haven't actually seen them. Although The Reader isn't as disastrous as Schindler's List, the only reason to watch it is Kate Winslet. The other two aren't even worth mentioning.

Rachel Getting Married (my review) would probably be my pick, but it only got a best actress nomination.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »
Although The Reader isn't as disastrous as Schindler's List, the only reason to watch it is Kate Winslet.

Yeah, I'm not touch that with a 20ft pole...  :-X :laugh:

The other two aren't even worth mentioning.

How can Slumdog be lumped in with Button? That's just wrong.

I don't need to watch a film to know it's a pile of boring mainstream Hollywood crap...

Just being picky, but I read this earlier and wanted to comment. Which one is "Hollywood crap"? Benjamin Button is the only obvious mainstream American film. The eventual winner was a British film, and while on that subject...

I just don't like the film school teacher argument, since their role is to break the students creativity (as all the independant film director I know had told me, the film school is the worst place to learn how to do film).

That may or may not be true, but again it doesn't apply to Danny Boyle who is one the UKs most visual and dynamic directors. Shallow Grave and Trainspotting are superb.

I know what you mean about making your mind up to see a film from the trailer, that's perfectly normal, but you seem to have your blinkers on where this film is concerned. The "exploiting poor children" argument has been used elsewhere so ok, though I don't think it has merit, but it certainly can't be dismissed as Hollywood crap.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »
Benjamin Button was basically Forrest Gump redux. But I have to admit, it was much better than Gump.

My wife and I are big fans of Jonathan Demme's films and I saw Rachel Getting Married in the theater and if it weren't for the interminably long wedding scene, I might have agreed with you Matthias.