Author Topic: Movie Discussion Suggestions  (Read 3399 times)

lyonsden5

Movie Discussion Suggestions
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »
Anyone have any interest is starting this again?

We only did a couple movies but I did enjoy it. As I said in another thread I would be able to participate in something like this more than the marathon threads. I watch a movie a week, maybe two in a week but that's the exception. Not exactly a marathon man I guess :laugh:

I'd like to see maybe a movie a week or even one every two weeks. Very much like a book club. We can give ourselves a week to watch and then discuss.

Anyone interested please add some suggestions. Anything from a light movie where we can simply talk about what we liked/disliked about it to an in depth movie that will spark some real debate.

A couple of suggestions I have right now would be:
"The Mist" (I know some of you have discussed it a bit already.... I finally got around to watching it last night... good stuff  :thumbup: )
"Blade Runner"
"12 Monkeys"
"Forbidden Planet"

Anyone else?  :yu:

richierich

Re: Movie Discussion Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
I'd be interested in doing this, especially if it involves watching a film (either unwatched or to view again) for discussion.
*charlie wilsons war*
*great debaters*
*rambo*
*silence of the lambs*

Touti

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:56:55 PM »
I'm glad this is popping up again, I was disappointed that it didn't pick up the first time around.  Suggestions so far are good, I can see Rambo calling for some interesting debate given the current situation in Irak and those thousands of soldiers who will return someday.

"Silence of the Lambs" is also a good call.
"Soylent Green" was mentioned in our previous suggestions.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:58:36 PM by Eric »

m.cellophane

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
I would try to participate.  ;D

I just watched The Nines last night. It would make for some great discussion although I'm sure many don't own it or have even heard of it. Here's a user review from IMDb:
Brilliant in all aspects., 22 January 2007
10/10
Author: AwQuity from United States

As I sat in the packed Sundance theater watching the final scene of John August's, The Nines, I shuttered. The film had sent chills down my spine, and it lasted into the night. The script was brilliant beyond anything I have ever experienced, the character development between the three parts dissecting the film was astonishing. The metaphorical tie- ins left your mind racing and your imagination spinning. It was not ironic in a sense that it allowed you to contemplate the scenarios that had just unveiled. John August is a brilliant writer and holds himself magnificently in front of the film industry. Ryan Reynolds blew me away and Melissa McCarthy was amazing. The character interaction between them and Hope Davis reflected on the complexity of the dialogue and scene structure. The film is broken into three intertwining sections, serving as "acts" that play into a plot scheme that defies the contemporary and conformist thought of todays screenplay writers.

The best to come from sundance this year... by far. John August matches Charlie Kaufman as a writer, and parallels Michel Gondry as a director He is outstanding in himself The film is one to reckon with and hopefully will hit the big screens but last its authentic, rare, independent flavor.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:18:16 PM by James »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »
Yes please.

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 01:28:19 AM »
I don't have The Nines, but after reading that, and Empire's review, I would definitely like to see it. Will be awhile yet though, but I really want to see this idea resurrected so we should make the effort to pick something and get stuck in! Tonight I watched [deep breath] The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford.  :training: Wonderful film and a fascinating subject that begs to be discussed. :2cents:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »
I'd like to join too...

Of the films mentioned so far I own:

"Blade Runner"
"12 Monkeys"
"Forbidden Planet"
"Silence of the Lambs"

I have seen The Mist in the cinema but will not buy the DVD (Blu Ray, maybe).

Rambo will be ordered shortly.

The one I would like to see again anyway is Blade Runner. I have seen the DVD earlier this year, but I am dying to see the Blu ray! :hmmmm: which version are we talking about anyway?

lovemunkey187

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
If any of these three is the topic then I'd try to play along.
"Blade Runner" [/color] Would quite like to crack open my briefcase set and watch this, as I don't think I've watched t all the way though since I was about 14 or 15.
"12 Monkeys" Not seen this since it was released at the cinema and thought that Brad Pitt was a talentless pretty boy.  My opinion of him has since changed.
"Silence of the Lambs" It's been an age since I last watched this.  :hmmmm: Might have to check my disc actually, to see if it's rotted.