Author Topic: Roger Corman  (Read 24267 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Corman
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
In my experience it works only with the independant labels, doing it with MGM, 20th Century Fox, etc. will bring you an automatic reply and no real interaction. But with the small studio you will be surprise since you always get a real answer and sometimes you get a result. Of course patience is a virtue and asking every weeks will have the contrary effects (the rules is asking not whining as the Nightmare fans do). Also you have to make sure first the studio own the title since the chance are higher to get it, but suggestion of orphan movies can work (unless MGM own it since they prefer to do stupid MOD DVDR than lease the titles they don't care for).

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:38 AM »
Not from Shout!, but "Film Chest / Virgil Films & Entertainment will release 'The Terror' on Blu-ray on April 16" (DVD Combo).
IMDb
Rotten Tomatoes

Given the ratings on both those sites I am not sure whether I should get it. :hmmmm:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2011, 07:36:38 AM »
If I were you I would wait for a review of this particular release before buying it. The Terror is known for getting very inferior "PD" release and I'm not 100% sure this one will be different. Better to wait and see than buying another useless release.

BTW I haven't posted it after my pre-order but the Women in Cages Collection with The Big Bird Cage, Big Doll House and Women in Cages is now available for pre-order at Amazon and Amazon Canada.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
If I were you I would wait for a review of this particular release before buying it. The Terror is known for getting very inferior "PD" release and I'm not 100% sure this one will be different. Better to wait and see than buying another useless release.
I would definitely not pre-order this one. Like I said, I will have to think strongly whether to buy it at all :laugh: For the Shout! series I might feel that I need it to complete that one, but this is a different distributor so I don't feel obligated.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Since we were talking on this one this is a review of The Terror Achim, looks like this is a job quite impressive... guess I will have to place this one in my order soon.

Also this is one for the upcomming Ron Howard's double features with Eat my Dust and Grand Theft Auto

Finally, as I told you by PM The Women in Cage collection will be release on Blu-Ray and it will be at the end of august.

edit :
 and the order for The Terror is already done... A good review was more than enough to convince me and the price is sure good for a new quality HD master of a title who was always shown in crappy PD release. Can't wait to see a review of Dementia 13 release by the same label next week to know if I'll finally see a good release of this one too.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:37:02 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »
Dementia 13...? :hmmmm:

Still need to think about The Terror though, there is so much I want to get these days...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2011, 04:09:19 AM »
You aren't the only one... In my case it's even harder because 95% of what I like is obscure films. Because of the actual states of the economy a second print is rarely done so I can't really delay my purchases too much because some titles became OOP really fast :(

It was a lot more easier to delay purchase and get them in time when I've started collecting dvd 8 years ago...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:33 PM »
First review for Dementia 13... Looks like an improvment compare to what is actually on the market, can't order it now but I'll keep it as a possibility for my next round of pre-orders.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
Achim as I told you by PM this is some screen captures I took this morning from my DVD of The Terror (sorry no Blu-Ray reader on my computer)

RossRoy

« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2011, 04:36:36 AM »
Achim, if you're interested in seeing some Blu-ray captures:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2011, 04:02:37 AM »
Achim as I told you by PM this is some screen captures I took this morning from my DVD of The Terror (sorry no Blu-Ray reader on my computer)
Thanks Jimmy, much appreciated. Other than Dmentia 13 I will keep this one on my wish list...

Achim, if you're interested in seeing some Blu-ray captures:
Thanks Sebastien, I was very much interested indeed.

According the review at DVDTalk they didn't use the most ideal source (original negative, kept really close by whoever owns it; apparently not lost as RogervCorman claimed) but apparently got really lucky with the rintbthey found.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »
According the review at DVDTalk they didn't use the most ideal source (original negative, kept really close by whoever owns it; apparently not lost as RogervCorman claimed).
The original negative sleep in the MGM vault, but it will never been use for a dvd release since MGM only have television rights for this film (if you have the MGM-HD channel they shown the HD master they did not so long ago and the capture I've seen are amazing). I know it's a public domain film, but they are forbidden to do anything else because of the contract they signed at the time...

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
I just added full specs (with runtimes) of the Blu-ray release for Battle Beyond the Stars to Rewind:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=18392