Author Topic: Roger Corman  (Read 24266 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Roger Corman
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:50:38 PM »
Think that it will interest some of you.

Shout Factory schedule for their Roger Corman Collection this year (new transfert and great extra for most of them). Some of those films are OOP for years or were never properly released, it's awesome to finally get Not of This Earth, Starcrash and Attack of the Crab Monsters on something else than a cheap dvd :yahoo:

May 4:
ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL (DVD and Blu)*
SUBURBIA (DVD)

June 22:
DEATH RACE 2000 (DVD and Blu)*
WARLORDS OF THE 21st CENTURY/DEATHSPORT (DVD)*

July 20:
FORBIDDEN WORLD (DVD only?)
GALAXY OF TERROR (DVD only?)*
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS/NOT OF THIS EARTH (DVD)*

August 3:
PIRANHA (DVD and Blu)* already ordered
HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP (DVD)
UP FROM THE DEPTHS/DEMON OF PARADISE (DVD)

Sept. 7:
STARCRASH (DVD and Blu)*
BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (DVD)

Sept. 28:
NOT OF THIS EARTH (1988) (DVD)*
TIME WALKER/DEAD SPACE (DVD)

* Interested by it and I will probably get it

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Corman
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
I'm definitely interested in ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS/NOT OF THIS EARTH

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »
Time for a little follow up on this one. Since many title are listed now on Amazon for the pre-order, so I list the one who are actually in this post.

May 4 (dvd) / May 11 (BR)
Rock 'N' Roll High School (dvd and blu-ray)

May 4
Suburbia (DVD only)

June 22
Death Sport / Battle Truck (DVD only)

Death Race 2000 (DVD and Blu-Ray)

July 20
Forbidden World (DVD only)

Galaxy Of Terror (DVD only)

I will list the date for the other as they will be known. I sure hope I'm not the only one excited by this :whistle:

By the way the link used the referal link from our site, so if you want to help karsten you know what to do ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 05:18:09 AM »
Corma's B-movie trash is (almost) always fun to watch.

I already own Rock 'N' Roll High School and Death Race 2000 and don't plan to upgrade. Forbidden World is one that I should investigate a little further, the cover looks cute.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:26:36 AM »
I've already pre-ordered many of them since I know that Cliff Mac is responsible for this project and it's a guarantee of quality ;D

Rock 'N' Roll High School, Death Race 2000, Forbidden World and Galaxy Of Terror are already pre-ordered. It's good to see that even with the bad economy a lot of great cult films are released this year...

Apart from all the Corman stuff Teenage Hitch-hikers, Kamikaze Hearts, Bonnie's Kids, Thundercrack!, Poor Pretty Eddie, Gone with the Pope and Through the Looking Glass just to name some that I want are set to be release this year (without mentionning the one who will come out of nowhere) :dance:

Not even a Blu-Ray upgrade for Rock 'N' Roll High School? The sound must be awesome on BR.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:30:28 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:19 PM »
Not even a Blu-Ray upgrade for Rock 'N' Roll High School? The sound must be awesome on BR.
Not sure how much they can get out of the source material in regards of sound :hmmmm: Probably better than the DVD though. But still, I like the film, but don't need an upgrade here. it's a B-movie and the DVD I have serves it well.

filmincarnate

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 03:28:13 AM »
I'm definitely in for Death Race 2000 and Piranha on blu-ray. I've yet to own either of those on any format so am definitely happy I waited. Curious to see what the restoration job done on those will be like.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 06:26:57 AM »
I own Piranha on DVD. Well, o.k., if restoration makes an upgrade a must-buy I may reconsider on this one.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »
An update today.

First the bad news (sorry Antares). The Attack of the crab monsters/Not of this earth double featured preview for july is delayed because the film materials for Not of this earth isn't good enough.

and now the good one : some pre-order link ;D

August 3
Piranha

No date for the Blu-ray yet...

Humanoids From The Deep

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »
Since the first dvds in the collection will be release this week, I've found a little something for you to keep you interested.

It could look like it, but I assure you that I don't work for Shout Factory! :laugh:
Not that I wouldn't like working for some dvd label, but one more in my taste range :whistle:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:54:43 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:53 AM »
Another update this time the special features of Forbidden World and Galaxy of Terror

Forbidden World
Interview with producer Roger Corman
Interviews with cast and crew including director Allan Holzman, composer Susan Justin and actor Jesse Vint
A look at the special effects of Forbidden World with John Carl Buechler, Robert Skotak, Tony Randal and R. Christopher Biggs
Poster and still Gallery
Original theatrical trailer
Additional New World trailers
Audio commentary with director Allan Holzman on the director's cut

Galaxy of Terror
Commentary with Cast and Crew
New Worlds: producer Roger Corman, screenwriter Marc Siegler and director Bruce D. Clark discuss the origins of the film
The Crew Of The Quest: Actors Robert Englund, Sid Haig, Taaffe O'Connell and Grace Zabriskie discuss their experiences as crew members of the U.S.S. Quest
Planet of Horrors: A detailed look into the creation of the film's memorable sets and alien landscapes
Future King: Memories of co-production designer (and future visionary filmmaker) James Cameron from members of the cast and crew
Old School: A journey into the complicated mechanical and makeup effects with artists Allan A. Apone, Douglas J. White, Alec Gillis and others
Launch Sequence: Co-editor R.J. Kizer walks us through postproduction and a profile on composer Barry Schrader
Theatrical trailers
Extensive photo galleries including posters, production sketches and designs
Theatrical trailer with commentary from writer/director Joel Olsen, courtesy of Trailersfromhell.com
Original screenplay

The two movies will came also with a 12 pages booklet.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 02:40:46 AM »
Here's an interview with Corman...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/roger-corman,41045/

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the link :thumbup:

Say what you want about his production, but Roger Corman is simply a genius. How many Hollywood guys can say they make movie since more than 50 years and have never made a single non-rentable one? Simple no-one. Those guys in the sixties and seventies did know how to made movie and how to sold them. Corman was not the only one Dave Friedman, Russ Meyer, Radley Metzger and Harry Novak did the same. The big difference? Those guys had a lot of guts and enough talent to see what could and couldn't work.

He even succeed at making me interested in his new movie with the few things he told about it ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:30:29 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »

Say what you want about his production, but Roger Corman is simply a genius.

It saddens me to think that when he eventually passes on, a good part of my youth will pass with him. I can't even imagine getting through a rainy weekend or late night gathering back in the 70's without UHF channels playing his films.

Alien Redrum

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 08:36:23 PM »
I cannot wait for Piranha on Blu.

That said, I'm very happy Corman finally got a well deserved Oscar (even if only honorary). The man has discovered so much great talent and influenced so many, it was long overdue and well deserved.

There's a great episode of Dinner for Five on youtube that has a round table discussion with Rob Zombie, Bruce Campbell, Roger Corman, Faizon Love and John Favreau (hosting). It's well worth the watch.

Part one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQBaVM2e4fw
Part two - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djhOX2OhTX0
Part three - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTvHYSXUq5I