Author Topic: Marathon brainstorming thread  (Read 131613 times)

snowcat

Re: Marathon brainstorming thread
« Reply #195 on: October 06, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
I don't think I have ever intentionally pirated, I own torrent programs, but I down load lots of legal stuff on them, freeware, old films and cartoons that are in the public library now.

The other reason is, I aspire to be a film maker and i would be gutted if I thought people were downloading my stuff :/

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

richierich

« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
I have to be honest and admit I don't even know what a torrent is  :-[
Only thing I watch online is BBC Iplayer, youtube and channel 4 equivalent.

Naive but happy to most things pirated  ;D

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »
I have to be honest and admit I don't even know what a torrent is  :-[

Torrent is a file distribution protocol that allows large files to be distributed to a large number of people without making the server crash. It is ideal to deploy Linux distributions and - let's say - TV show episodes.

For example, if you have a 16 MBit DSL connection you can download a 42 minutes / 350 MByte episode in less than 10 minutes ... or so I've heard.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »
While it's probably most often used for illegal downloads torrents are also quite common for file distribution these days. openoffice.org among others uses torrents to distribute their free OpenOffice suite.

Great idea for a Marathon. The others already said it all: Do what's fun to you, other might join, or they might not. Do it at your own terms (time, etc) so that it remain fun throughout. No point in forcing oneself, it's our hobby.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
As the others already said, do it on your own terms. If you force some rules on it which you personally object to, then it would be a chore instead of fun.

Critter

« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »
Okay sounds good. I'll set up the page for it later on.

Boomstick98

« Reply #202 on: October 07, 2009, 04:14:56 AM »
I haven't been here long, but I think people here just love movies and shows in general. Whatever you choose to do a marathon on I think everyone will enjoy reading the reviews. Its your choice, so have fun.

I never illegally downloaded any movies or shows, but I have been guilty in the past of downloading music. I have since given that up. Glad to hear you have given up illegal downloads as well.

RossRoy

« Reply #203 on: October 07, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »
Whether downloaded or on CD... I just wish it was possible to acquire music legally, while only paying the artists involved, but not contribute at all to the archaic industry model. I'm also squarely against the RIAA's tactics in regards to pirating (and unfortunately, the MPAA seems to be following suit). I so wish I could pay the artists, but leave the labels and RIAA goons out to dry..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people should pirate, but I don't think the RIAA's approach to reduce piracy is the way to go about it.

Critter

« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2009, 01:55:56 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people should pirate, but I don't think the RIAA's approach to reduce piracy is the way to go about it.

What is the RIAA's approach to this?

RossRoy

« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2009, 03:28:57 PM »

What is the RIAA's approach to this?

They're suing people left and right, claiming inflated restitution, all with inflated and outright false numbers.

Critter

« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2009, 04:58:15 AM »
Ahh I see. Yeah that really doesn't seem to be the right way to go about things.

snowcat

« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »
As well as my on going Judd Apatow marathon, Im going to start a 13 days of Horror marathon 13 days before Halloween :p

Critter

« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »
It's so strange hearing such a big deal about Halloween. We don't really celebrate Halloween at all here in Australia. Much like 'Thanksgiving'. They are just things we consider American holidays and don't have much to do with them.

Najemikon

« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »
It's so strange hearing such a big deal about Halloween. We don't really celebrate Halloween at all here in Australia. Much like 'Thanksgiving'. They are just things we consider American holidays and don't have much to do with them.

Do you have Trick or Treat though? We've always had it in the UK, but only in recent years have people attempted to do it properly. For a lot it is still an easy excuse for begging.