Author Topic: Marathon brainstorming thread  (Read 131571 times)

richierich

Re: Marathon brainstorming thread
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
I tackled an around the world in 80 dvds marathon early last year, and it took just under 3 months - 

http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,628.msg68715.html#msg68715

MAP ROUTE

It takes a lot of discipline to keep going on 1 theme for that long, but it can be done.
There are no rules on this forum  :readthis: so you set up the marathon to suit yourself.
Personally I would stick to just dvds, but if you want to include downloads then no-one will object.

It would be good to see your list of 100 animated films, some memebrs may be able to recommend alternatives.

Good luck  :training:

Critter

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2009, 12:50:58 PM »
Wow 80 DVD marathon in 3 months, that's impressive.

Okay here is my list. I have basically put it in order or studio or director. For the major studios I just put every film they have ever made. I already know there's going to be heaps I hate but that doesn't bother me. I have a feeling I am going to get plenty of every rating from 1/2 star to 5 stars. At the end of a list I just added a few more into the 'others' section so it filled up 100.

(And I know there seems to be a lot of different 'Disney' studios. I think they changed their official name a bit haha.

Animated Marathon

PIXAR
1.   A Bug’s Life
2.   Cars
3.   Toy Story
4.   Toy Story 2
5.   Monsters Inc
6.   Finding Nemo
7.   Up
8.   WALL-E
9.   The Incredibles
10.   Ratatouille

DreamWorks Animation SKG

11.   The Prince of Egypt
12.   The Road to El Dorado
13.   Joseph: King of Dreams
14.   Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
15.   Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
16.   Chicken Run
17.   Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
18.   Antz
19.   Shrek
20.   Shrek 2
21.   Shark Tale
22.   Madagascar
23.   Over The Hedge
24.   Flushed Away
25.   Shrek the Third
26.   Bee Movie
27.   Kung Fu Panda
28.   Madagascar : Escape 2 Africa
29.   Monsters vs. Aliens

Fox Animation Studios

30.   FernGully: The Last Rainforest
31.   Once Upon A Forest
32.   The Pagemaster
33.   Anastasia
34.   Bartok the Magnificent
35.   Titan A.E. 

Walt Disney Productions 

36.   Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
37.   Pinocchio
38.   Fantasia
39.   Dumbo
40.   Bambi
41.   Saludos Amigos
42.   The Three Caballeros
43.   Make Mine Music
44.   Fun and Fancy Free
45.   Melody Time
46.   The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
47.   Cinderella
48.   Alice in Wonderland
49.   Peter Pan
50.   Lady and the Tramp
51.   Sleeping Beauty
52.   One Hundred and One Dalmatians
53.   The Sword in the Stone
54.   The Jungle Book
55.   The Aristocats
56.   Robin Hood
57.   The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
58.   The Rescuers
59.   The Fox and the Hound

Walt Disney Feature Animation

60.   The Black Cauldron
61.   The Great Mouse Detective
62.   Oliver & Company
63.   The Little Mermaid
64.   The Rescuers Down Under
65.   Beauty and the Beast
66.   Aladdin
67.   The Lion King
68.   Pocahontas
69.   The Hunchback of Notre Dame
70.   Hercules
71.   Mulan
72.   Tarzan
73.   Fantasia 2000
74.   The Emperor’s New Groove
75.   Atlantis: The Lost Empire
76.   Lilo & Stitch
77.   Treasure Planet
78.   Brother Bear
79.   Home on the Range
80.   Chicken Little

Walt Disney Animation Studios

81.   Meet the Robinsons
82.   Bolt
83.   The Princess and the Frog

Animal Logic

84.   Happy Feet

Tim Burton

85.   The Nightmare Before Christmas
86.   Corpse Bride

Sony Pictures Animation

87.   Open Season
88.   Surf’s Up
89.   Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Ralph Bashki

90.   Wizards
91.   Fire and Ice
92.   The Lord of the Rings
93.   Fritz the Cat
94.   American Pop

Martin Rosen

95.   Watership Down
96.   The Plague Dogs

Others

97.   Waltz with Bashir
98.   South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut
99.   Coraline
100.   Persepolis

Najemikon

« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2009, 01:00:46 PM »
I notice you don't have any foreign animation there. May I suggest Grave of the Fireflies and Princess Mononoke to balance it out?  ;D

Additionally to what Rich said, there's no such thing as too many. You could put an index as the first post and keep updating it. Plus, as you may have seen by now, Jimmy keeps a track of the reviews and indexes them to appear on the front page at random, or under the alphabet links above. So they won't be "lost" and people would be encouraged to dip into your thread.

We have no rules for marathons. I created one for car based films and had a theme where I highlighted the main car, as that's often the draw in such films: Car Movie Marathon

I also wanted to do one for heists and general thievery! Not quite so successful so far: Stop Thief! The Robbing Bastard Marathon  :bag:

Pete regularly creates mini themed weekends for movies, while I think most of us have a "what I just watched" thread.

Critter

« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »
Grave of Fireflies and Princess Mononoke are two of my favourite animated films ever but this marathon is strictly no anime, (thats the next one :P). With this one I wanted to focus solely on animation from western and European countries. There is a couple of foreign films on there (Waltz with Bashir, Persopilis) and a lot of British ones but overall you are correct that there aren't many.

Also I have noticed that Review list that Jimmy keeps track of. Great work there! It was reading through that that made me want to have a marathon of my own.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
I didn't realize how much I like animation films but I have seen almost all on your list. I never list animation/anime as one of my favorite genres but...

I think it sounds terrific and I look forward to reading your reviews.

Critter

« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »
Thanks Kathy,although you may be waiting a while. I got a bit excited and I am posting all this well in advance of when I will actually start. See I'm currently in my final 5 weeks of High School and with my vital final exams coming up I have no time for marathons (only planning :P). I tell you what though the minute my final exam is over with I'll be hitting the couch a long with some mates and spending a good part of the summer with DVDs (take that sun!)

I didn't realize how much I like animation films but I have seen almost all on your list. I never list animation/anime as one of my favorite genres but...

Animation and animated films is one of my greatest passions in life which is why I picked this marathon. I want to be an animator and am hopefully getting into animation courses after school. I have loads of books on animation and have been teaching myself hand-drawn animation at home.
I'm glad you like animated films as well but I have to question that you call them a 'genre'. I know a lot of people refer to animated films as a genre but that isn't technically correct. Animation is the medium in which a film is made, not the genre. For example there could be a horror animated film or a comedy animated film. Both animated but two completely different genres. I think people tend to group them alltogether becuase a large amount of animated films are in that whole children's/family genre. Anyone who has seen any of Bashki's animated films however will understand how incorrected that assumption about animation is haha.

Haha sorry to go all nerdy on your ass... I spend way too much time studying animation.  :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:34:59 PM by Critter »

Touti

« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
[...]but if you want to include downloads then no-one will object.

As long as they're legally purchased and downloaded, if we're talking about piracy then I think a few of us would object.

Critter

« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
It's okay, I do have a history as a pirate but I am trying to break out of old ways, joining this site is one of the things I am doing to prevent myself from downloading any more as I want to focus more on buying legal DVDs. There are a few movies on this list I may have trouble finding, and the Disney Vault can be a bitch for that but if it makes you all happier (and me as well really) I will not use illegal downloading for the marathon.

snowcat

« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »
You missed out Ice Age Critter, also I thought the Princess and the Frog was released next year?

As a big comedy fan, I have decided that im going to have a Judd Apatow Marathon, so any films that he has been anyway involved in the films will be

as a Director
40 Year Old Virgin
Knocked up
Funny People (I will got see this for the second time at the Saturday movie thing, where they show a film thats just about to be taken out of the regular showing.)

As a producer
The Cable Guy
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie
Kicking & Screaming  
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Superbad
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Drillbit Taylor
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Step Brothers
Pineapple Express

As a writter
Fun with Dick and Jane
You Don't Mess with the Zohan

Tv Series
Freaks and Geeks

Ive missed out Year One, because I have no legal way of watching it right now, Ive also missed out the Ben stiller show and Undeclared for the same reasons.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:47:53 PM by snowcat »

Critter

« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2009, 02:13:56 PM »
You're right about Ice Age snowcat but I don't know which studio made it which must have been why I left it out while making the list. Your also correct about The Princess and the Frog, it comes out either later this early or early next year (lets just say I'm planning this marathon to span over many months).

Loving the look of that Judd Aptow marathon, can't wait to read your reviews of it.

snowcat

« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2009, 02:18:56 PM »
Ice Age was created by Blue Skye Studios a division of 20th century Fox they also made Robots and Horton Hears a Who.

Yep, I can't wait to start reviewing some of those films! i really like his work!

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:02 PM »
As long as they're legally purchased and downloaded, if we're talking about piracy then I think a few of us would object.

To combine that with a suggestion: Last year's best animated feature Sita Sings the Blues can be downloaded for free. Although if you like it, you should make a donation or buy the DVD - or as the filmmaker said: free as in freedom, not free as in free beer.
Matthias

Critter

« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2009, 02:36:29 PM »
I might have to add Blue Skye Studios to the list now and it's decided I will definatly avoid illegal downloads.

richierich

« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
[...]but if you want to include downloads then no-one will object.

Yes, I assumed legally downloaded.

Critter

« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2009, 03:23:31 PM »
*attacks the pirate inside of me*
I sort of grew up in an area where downloading is the norm. Illegal that is. My family downloads, family friends, school friends, teachers at school etc. Basically I'm a natural born pirate and for a long time didn't think anything of it. It recently snapped though how much a live movies and tv so I am trying to put my pirate ways behind me. So far I'm doing well but being at school makes it hard. Everyday at that place I am offered more and more movie downloads but I am learnig to be stronger now an resist it.