Author Topic: Travelling, Where have you been/want to go?  (Read 3437 times)

Rogmeister

Re: Travelling, Where have you been/want to go?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 05:58:23 PM »
Wow, you guys are pretty good.  I've never been anywhere.  I think I've only been out of the U.S. once and that was just barely...the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.  Within my country, I've been to L.A., San Francisco, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, Nashville, Florida, etc.  I may be going to Myrtle Beach this year.  I forget where that is...North Carolina maybe?

Critter

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 10:45:44 PM »
Wow, you guys are pretty good.  I've never been anywhere.  I think I've only been out of the U.S. once and that was just barely...the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.  Within my country, I've been to L.A., San Francisco, Yellowstone National Park, Grand Canyon, Nashville, Florida, etc.  I may be going to Myrtle Beach this year.  I forget where that is...North Carolina maybe?

You may have not left your country a lot but you have been to some impressive places in it. If I ever go to America Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon are two places I would love to visit.

I'd also very much like to visit Japan and New Zealand, for similar reasons.

Jon I also want to visit these places a lot. I've wanted to go to Japan for a long time, somewhat guiltaly becuase of my love for anime. Ive even considered visitng the country on an 'anime tour' which are held there. The only problem is as as animal lover and somewhat hippy I am being told to boycott the country becuase of what the Japanese government is doing about whaling. Now, is my love of anime great enough to get me there or is my hate of Japanese whaling strong enough to hold me back? I think I'll just wait this one out for a while. And in New Zealand of course I want to visit the Weta Workshop tourist museum.

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:07 PM »
Jon I also want to visit these places a lot. I've wanted to go to Japan for a long time, somewhat guiltaly becuase of my love for anime. Ive even considered visitng the country on an 'anime tour' which are held there. The only problem is as as animal lover and somewhat hippy I am being told to boycott the country becuase of what the Japanese government is doing about whaling. Now, is my love of anime great enough to get me there or is my hate of Japanese whaling strong enough to hold me back? I think I'll just wait this one out for a while. And in New Zealand of course I want to visit the Weta Workshop tourist museum.

Well, I'm absolutely against whaling too and I think it's a disgusting practice, but I wouldn't let that stop me visiting. I know how you think, that if everyone thought the same, their tourist industry would collapse and it could be used as ransom. But the only way to do that would be all other governments banning travel to Japan specifically because of whaling. That won't happen and I wouldn't want to tar the whole country with the same brush...

Critter

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
I wasn't thinking of their tourism industy collapsing, I know people will still go there I was just thinking that I personally shouldn't go there. Well people have told me that actually, I didn't come to that conclusion myself, almosy everytime I mention my desire to go to Japan everyone says, "oh but you wouldn't go there becuase of the whaling would you?". At that point I just lie and say I'm planning to infiltrate the Japanese Governmet and attack from the inside.... when really I'll be taking a tour at the Studio Ghibli museum.

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 11:45:54 PM »
I wasn't thinking of their tourism industy collapsing, I know people will still go there I was just thinking that I personally shouldn't go there. Well people have told me that actually, I didn't come to that conclusion myself, almosy everytime I mention my desire to go to Japan everyone says, "oh but you wouldn't go there becuase of the whaling would you?". At that point I just lie and say I'm planning to infiltrate the Japanese Governmet and attack from the inside.... when really I'll be taking a tour at the Studio Ghibli museum.

:hysterical:

Mind you, I didn't know there was such a museum. I'm bumping Japan up the list...

Critter

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 12:09:28 AM »
I'm not actually sure if it's a Museum of such but I have heard of a Studio Ghibli tour, whether it be in a museum or through the studio I'm not sure, either way I really want to go! As well as many other places in Japan.

Ah look we are in luck. Turns out there is such a thing.

http://www.tautoz.com/ghiblimuseum/

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »
I want to visit every person on these forums...just think of the wonderful people and places I would get to see!

Critter

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »
Ha Kathy, you are welcome anytime! My town is pretty crappy but I live close to some wonderful places. I could give you a great tour down the Southern Coastline of Australia and show you lots of Koalas and Kangaroos.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:41 AM »
I haven't been many places..really just a few states.  I have been to Washington, D.C. twice and Orlando a few times.  I like going to Disney and do want to go back sometime. 
I have been to Canada..Niagara Falls and Toronto.

I would like to see Hawaii...England, France, Italy, Australia, but I don't think I ever will.  The biggest reason is I hate to fly.  I've only flown a few times, and had a very, very bad landing that scared me to death.  I honestly don't see myself ever getting on a plane again.  Also, I am a bit claustrophobic - that has gotten worse as I've gotten older.  My stress level would be through the roof and I'd probably give myself a stroke.  So better for me to stay on the ground.

Critter

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 05:19:16 AM »
I hate flying as well Marie, although I'm not as bad with it as you are by the sounds of it. If flying is out of the question how are you with sailing? There are many great cruises that can take you to different countries. I myself hate travelling by boat, plane, train... anything really. I like to have my feet firmly on the ground. While I don't enjoy travelling these ways I can usually stand it just long enough until I get to the destination.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »
I was born in Germany and currectly live in Taiwan R.O.C.

My travels brought me to the following countris through the years:

Austria
East Germany (it was a sepearte country once...)
Greece (passed through Yugoslawia on the way)
Denmark
Holland
France
Norway
Sweden
England
United States (in around 25 of the states...)
Canada
Hong Kong
Thailand
Singapore
Vietnam, Indonesia (Bali)
China
Malaysia

[...]

I'm like Emma and can't be bothered with sun-bathing or the other premier British holiday idea, clubbing in Ibiza. No, no, no... actually, maybe? No.  :laugh:

However I did go to the American canyons and parks a few years ago and loved it. I'm looking forward to visiting the States again as it was a bit of a wake-up call. I'd always liked America in theory, but the popular stereotype Europeans have, that you US peeps are all loud and brash, "Have a nice day, y'all" empty headed capitalists was still convincing, until I actually met some of you and found out it's crap and we could learn a few things. I can say without any trace of irony that America had the nicest and most honest strangers I've ever met. Much nicer than the ones in my own town! And don't even get me started on London. Why Americans are so fascinated with the UK, I don't know. I know we have the unique architecture and history, but we're fast turning into a nation of arseholes and chavs.

I'd also very much like to visit Japan and New Zealand, for similar reasons. Both countries bare relation to Britain; Jackson filmed LotR in New Zealand because it looks like our countryside, and Japan is a similar large population in a small area. Japan especially also seems to have a much more content population. The average British "stranger" acts like he's owed something and is pissed off he didn't get it and I get the exact opposite idea from the South West Americans I met and what I've read about Japan, they are the same.

[...]
:goodpost: The quotes part basically applies to me as well... :D I'll just add Australia as an "either/or" to New Zealand.

Critter

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 08:18:01 AM »
I'll just add Australia as an "either/or" to New Zealand.

:thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »
I hate flying as well Marie, although I'm not as bad with it as you are by the sounds of it. If flying is out of the question how are you with sailing? There are many great cruises that can take you to different countries. I myself hate travelling by boat, plane, train... anything really. I like to have my feet firmly on the ground. While I don't enjoy travelling these ways I can usually stand it just long enough until I get to the destination.

I've never been on a boat..no wait.  I was on the Maid of the Mist at Niagara.. anyway, I haven't been on a big boat or ship..no idea how I would like that. 

Critter

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 08:53:18 AM »
I've been on a ship a lot as I always take one over to Tasmania and back. I don't like the nights, being slowly rocked while you (don't) sleep. I haven't gotten sea sick on a boat before, although last time I was on one I threw up 4 times in my cabin, that was belated car sickness though as the ship had barley started moving. Some of those big cruise ships look really nice though and they look like they go to nice places.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I don't mind flying - I went hang gliding and sky diving for decades - boats or trains...its the crazy drivers that get me! :laugh:

I always drove to Colorado or Florida to visit family but flying is so fast. A direct flight to Florida and I'm at my mom's in a few hours.

I would love to take a cruise - every one I talk to says they are great.