Author Topic: Travelling, Where have you been/want to go?  (Read 3439 times)

Critter

Travelling, Where have you been/want to go?
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:05:30 AM »
I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in discussing world travel. I know it sounds cliche but I'm one of those people who really wants to travel the world, I have already been to a few different countries but there are still so many more I want to visit. I was thinking maybe we could list the places we have visited (actually stayed in the country, stop overs where you don't leave the airport don't count) and also places we want to go.

Myself

I have been to...

Australia (obviously :P)
Indonesia (Bali 3 times, but I wish to explore more parts of this country)
Vanuatu
Russia
France

Want to go...

Africa
Japan
UK
Brazil
India
Alaska

Plus many more

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling, Where have you been/want to go?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 05:20:11 AM »
Just my country and not really far from home (Montreal when I did my army training) :laugh:

But I would like to do a travel in Europe one day : Prague, Vienna or Rome

Africa
Africa isn't a country :tease:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:21:46 AM by Jimmy »

Critter

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:28:16 AM »
Haha yeah I was being very general there, what I meant was I want to visit places like South Africa, Mozambique and Tanzania. I also would love to visit Egypt one day.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »
Germany, of course.
Austria
Italy (Rome among others)
USA (with a short visit to Canada at the Niagara Falls)
Tunisia
Romania
France (Paris and a small town north of it)
Czech Republic

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Weirdly enough, Ive only left England to visit Wales for a day, and Im ok with that. I go on holiday to the same part of England every year, I love it there. Im not one for sun bathing and lying around doing nothing all day, so for me visiting some parts of Europe for a summer holiday is pointless. My friends often come back with 200 photos of them and a hotel room or a swiming pool :/ When im on holiday I spend everyday visiting surrounding towns and cities and exploring.

I don't even own a Passport, I would like to visit some parts of America though.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »
Germany, of course.
Austria
Italy (Rome among others)
USA (with a short visit to Canada at the Niagara Falls)
Tunisia
Romania
France (Paris and a small town north of it)
Czech Republic

Nice list here, Italy is a place I would one day love to visit. It seems I did a similar thing to you with France, I stayed in Paris for the most part except we did take a day trip out to the town of Versailles to take in the sites there as well. Paris is the type of place place I would love to visit again, I was only there for a short time and while we did all the main tourist attractions which were fantastic, I'd also like to just explore on my own a bit.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:27:02 AM »
Paris is the last place on earth I would like to visit and it's coming from a french talking guy. The city citizens are just too anoying and full of themselves... I would take a two weeks vacation at Mogadishu (Somalia) or Ciudad Juárez (Mexico) any time before Paris :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »
I was in France last year as a friend of mine did get married there (to a French woman). I did a little sight-seeing in Paris on my way back.
Maybe I will visit my friend again this year. They live in the Bretagne.

Critter

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
Paris is the last place on earth I would like to visit and it's coming from a french talking guy. The city citizens are just too anoying and full of themselves...

I went to Paris to study history, in particular the French revolutions and while my purpose was more set toward touring famous places and visiting historically important sites I found the French people were always warm and welcoming. We never had any problems with this 'rudness' that French people apparently have as they were all delightful. I dunno, maybe we just werent in the part of town where all the full of themselves French live.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
I know a couple of people who have been to Rome and they all say the tourist spots are nice, but the city itself is a bit of a rundown mess and a death-trap on the roads! I have no wish to go there.

I'm like Emma and can't be bothered with sun-bathing or the other premier British holiday idea, clubbing in Ibiza. No, no, no... actually, maybe? No.  :laugh:

However I did go to the American canyons and parks a few years ago and loved it. I'm looking forward to visiting the States again as it was a bit of a wake-up call. I'd always liked America in theory, but the popular stereotype Europeans have, that you US peeps are all loud and brash, "Have a nice day, y'all" empty headed capitalists was still convincing, until I actually met some of you and found out it's crap and we could learn a few things. I can say without any trace of irony that America had the nicest and most honest strangers I've ever met. Much nicer than the ones in my own town! And don't even get me started on London. Why Americans are so fascinated with the UK, I don't know. I know we have the unique architecture and history, but we're fast turning into a nation of arseholes and chavs.

I'd also very much like to visit Japan and New Zealand, for similar reasons. Both countries bare relation to Britain; Jackson filmed LotR in New Zealand because it looks like our countryside, and Japan is a similar large population in a small area. Japan especially also seems to have a much more content population. The average British "stranger" acts like he's owed something and is pissed off he didn't get it and I get the exact opposite idea from the South West Americans I met and what I've read about Japan, they are the same.

Sorry to have gone on and I know it sounds like I kicking my own country, but it's because I am very patriotic and I'm proud of what the UK was, is and could be. I just wish other people felt the same instead of being so sodding miserable and judgemental all the time.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 02:51:59 PM »
I've been to Montreal, Quebec and Freeport, Bahamas. Hated the Bahamas, I'm like Jon, I'm not into the beach anymore, seems like such a waste of time on vacation, when it always seems that time is a factor.

I've lived in Vermont :thumbup:, Colorado :thumbup: and Florida :thumbdown: (A lot of crime and the people are STUPID!)

Would love to visit Oregon, Wyoming and parts of Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Painted Desert) and for going abroad, the Madeira Islands, Portugal and the Azores, I'm part Portuguese. This will probably be hardest to achieve, as I don't like flying and have to take sedatives to get on a plane.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:54:26 PM by Antares »

richierich

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 02:54:55 PM »
Travelled a lot on business, and lived in several countries because of my fathers job when young, so have been fortunate and racked up a few visited nations, some visited many many times...

england
wales
northern ireland
eire
scotland
france
germany
spain
italy
portugal
belgium
switzerland
netherlands
yugoslavia (old)
austria
bahrain
UAE
oman
qatar
hungary
czech republic
cyprus
majorca
minorca
skiathos
fuerteventura
tenerife
greece
hong kong
singapore
thailand
liechtenstein
luxembourg
poland
finland
sweden
denmark
norway
russia
australia
new zealand
usa

Am planning a cycling trip across the emerald triangle (cambodia, thailand, southern laos) late 2010 so they will be next visits, after a long weekend in spain (valencia) in february

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »
Would love to visit Oregon, Wyoming and parts of Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Painted Desert)

That's the area we went to, though we bypassed Monument Valley, sadly. The Grand Canyon is simply the most incredible thing I've ever seen. And I went over it in a helicopter. Astonishing!

It was a fun trip for my inner movie nerd too. We went on a boat trip around Lake Powell, which was a canyon turned into a reservoir, but it's where some of Planet of the Apes was filmed. Before that, we had been to Kanab, nicknamed Little Hollywood, because it was the main base for Westerns in the 20s and 30s. The hotel I stayed in has a lot of actor history. At the end of the road they have sets used in The Outlaw Josey Wales. I'll stick some pics up later...

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 04:04:54 PM »
Would love to visit Oregon, Wyoming and parts of Arizona (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Painted Desert)

That's the area we went to, though we bypassed Monument Valley, sadly. The Grand Canyon is simply the most incredible thing I've ever seen. And I went over it in a helicopter. Astonishing!

It was a fun trip for my inner movie nerd too. We went on a boat trip around Lake Powell, which was a canyon turned into a reservoir, but it's where some of Planet of the Apes was filmed. Before that, we had been to Kanab, nicknamed Little Hollywood, because it was the main base for Westerns in the 20s and 30s. The hotel I stayed in has a lot of actor history. At the end of the road they have sets used in The Outlaw Josey Wales. I'll stick some pics up later...

It's a shame you bypassed Monument Valley, just imagine the great westerns you could have conjured up...The Searchers, Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Once Upon a Time in the West, Stagecoach...etc.

Najemikon

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:41 PM »
england
wales
northern ireland
eire
scotland
france
germany
spain
italy
portugal
belgium
switzerland
netherlands
yugoslavia (old)
austria
bahrain
UAE
oman
qatar
hungary
czech republic
cyprus
majorca
minorca
skiathos
fuerteventura
tenerife
greece
hong kong
singapore
thailand
liechtenstein
luxembourg
poland
finland
sweden
denmark
norway
russia
australia
new zealand
usa

If it wasn't for the pictures of you we've seen in the past, I'd assume you were a playboy James Bond type!  :tease: