Author Topic: Starting the Morning with a Good Laugh  (Read 2266 times)

snowcat

Re: Starting the Morning with a Good Laugh
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:09 PM »
Yes some parts of the UK are currently the coldest on record I believe, We have more snow then we have had in 20 years or so.... its about 2-3 inches of snow in Coventry.... which whilst doesn't sound much to most people is alot around here. (when it snowed in the UK at the end of Dec, we were the only area that did not get any :/)

We even had some Public transport stop during the week, news reporters have been reporting outside and slipping over live on camera... so its been quite funny really.

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
I work for a tech support company that looks after many schools and Manchester was basically shut from Monday. I can understand some of them because Manchester and some other areas did get hit very hard.

But we have a lot of schools closed and I don't mind telling you, I think it's pathetic how England has reacted. Yes, it's more sustained than usual, but it seems like the vast majority of schools have closed at the first sign. We've got parents worried about health and safety of kids trying to get to school in the snow; we've got teachers refusing to venture out even though the school itself might be clear; drivers creeping along at 15 mph on clear roads. And I do mean clear.

I even heard on the news a mother being interviewed about how difficult it is to take time of work to look after her kids because the school was closed and I swear to you, she actually said, "I can't let them outside because it's so dangerous"! ARGH! Kids and snow are a perfect combination! Blasted wimps, the lot of them. There was a kid wrote up to the BBC, saying how we must think about them because it was so hard walking to school. I weep for the nation. :weep:

When I was going to school, I honestly can't remember it ever being shut because of snow and I can remember days like what we've had this time. Maybe once. That's one day, not a week! And as for health and safety? I used to look for the deepest drifts to go storming through!

I felt a bit embarrassed the other day because there was a woman being interviewed on Radio 1 because she's a Personal Trainer for top stars and she's based in Buffalo, New York. You could tell she thought our reaction was hilarious! After all, that's kind of the norm for there isn't it?

Anyway. Rant over. You may continue...  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
I don't go out and get in the snow now, but when I was a kid, I loved going out in playing it.  I never had much luck building snowmen, but I tried.  :lol

People who aren't use to snow do tend to....over react when they get some. 

It was bad yesterday afternoon because the snow was falling faster than the plows could deal with.  Today the roads looks clear.  At least the main road.  I know there are a lot of back roads that haven't been dealt with.  There are some near me that are basically just gravel roads that go almost straight up and straight down and the plows never go over them.  The school buses go over those roads, so when there is snow, they can't get over those roads.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »
It always amazes me that Buffalo gets such a bum rap over snow. One day this year the drifts were quite high - over my thighs when I woke up. By the following day almost all of the streets and sidewalks were down to the pavement. Driving might have taken a bit longer than usual but nothing was shut down. In fact, most places are busier than usual because we love to be out in it!

Since the Blizzard of '77, I think that there was only one time that the city closed some of the schools. Some of the suburbs and country schools might have closed but not Buffalo. I can't think of a single time that I haven't been able to get in my car and go...of course I was out in the Blizzard of '77 too! The only reason I ended up going home was because the other cars kept stopping and getting stuck. My little '72 VW Beetle and I went up on sidewalks, around and between cars but never did we get stuck! Boy did I love that little yellow car.

snowcat

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:01:52 PM »
Jon I have to say I completely agree, me and my friends at college have been surprised that the 6 of us were the only people in out of a group of 20 to turn up the last few days.

I think its pathetic, I love the snow. When I was at Primary school maybe 8 or 9 it started to snow, the teachers wanted to keep us in until the head teacher said "Let them out, they should experience the snow"

...What's more fun then a mass snowball fight at school? Of course I went to an all girls school so there was alot of "OMG YOU CAN'T LIKE HIT ME, YOU WILL RUIN MY HAIR!"  *sigh*

I think this is stupid, fair enough its a bit of a shock to go from no snow to as much as we currently have, but the world should not stop turning for it :/