Author Topic: DVD Profiler Help  (Read 25950 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Profiler Help
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
Edit : Didn't read your second answer Achim... it was sure way before my time since my first version was DVDP 2.4
I cannot make 100% sure without checking some documents on my computer, since I am at work, but I think the rules happened around that time. As he usually is happily teling everyone, Skip indeed initiated the attempt and had a basic concept ready. He then assembled a team of people around him who he trusted and thought would be helpful to create the rules.

Actually, thinking back and looking at the forum today, it's kind of hard for third parties to understand why he chose who he chose :hysterical: Although, actually it's the other way around and the situation today simply reflects the fact that "we" worked with him on the rules ;) There was a total of two rounds. IIRC the second round never made it into the final and was discarded after Invelos had risen from interVocative's ashes.

I have a list at home, but in the first team we had James, Rick and Mark as well as a few others who left the forum since (wonder why... :hmmmm:).

Taro

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
But I'm very scare to see what kind of discussion happen there :laugh:
It's not a pretty sight, I can tell you that much.

Achim, I would be interested to see the history of how the current rule set came to be. Do I understand correctly that Skip launched the idea, gathered some people to help write the rules and that was that? Ken wasn't even involved at that time?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2010, 12:33:03 PM »
Achim, I would be interested to see the history of how the current rule set came to be. Do I understand correctly that Skip launched the idea, gathered some people to help write the rules and that was that? Ken wasn't even involved at that time?
Skip had of course a go-ahead from Ken and it was always clear that the last word would be with Ken/InterVocative. Also, we had the previous "Contribution Guidelines" (the link goes to my site, but it is the original text!) as a starting point, which was the base for all of it (not much, but it also gave an idea what InterVocative wanted in overall).

The writing process was mostly done like this:
Discussion in a chat room, going through contributable area of a profile. If we agreed what the content should be, someone would be assigned to actual word it, then we'd move on (or so). Since we were a group from all over the world, the chats would be at weird times for some of us (they usually started after midnight for me) and could take as much as 6/8/10 hours! I remember once I went to bed and when I got up their were still chatting! (the chatting really made it slow and difficult, which is why we used a forum the second time; elsewhere, not a subforum at InterVocative).

While I still think that we can be somewhat proud of what we did, we will all easily admit that the result was still flawed. The main problem of course is, that it was incredibly US centric or at least strongly focused on English language films.

BTW, since I am now at home and can check: I received the first e-mail for the Rules discussions on March 26, 2005. From what I can tell 2.4(.1) must have been the current version at the time.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »
ON the attached file there is an item circled.

What happens if the "Count As" option is changed?

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »
ON the attached file there is an item circled.

What happens if the "Count As" option is changed?

My understanding is that the value affects the Owned number therefore setting it to 0 will reduce the Owned count by 1 and setting it to 2 or more will increase the Owned count by 1 or more depending upon the value you used. I haven't increased any but I have set quite a few to 0, film box set parents and the bonus DVD in the BD/DVD combo packs, and it always seem to work with a definite decrease to the Owned count.

Dave

edited for typos
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2010, 12:33:41 PM »
I believe it counts towards the total number of profiles, regardless of the collection number.

Useful for double-features, which as a single purchased title receive one collection number, but might contain two films. If you want your number of profiles to reflect number of movies, increase the "count as" accordingly. It can also be decreased to 0 for box sets.

Najemikon

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »
 :tease: :hysterical:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Just to make sure I understand properly, If I was to go through all of the child profiles and amend the Count As # to 0 then instead of the 1100odd titles my Owned list would gchange to the more accurate number of 989?

Najemikon

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2010, 01:16:29 PM »
Yes, I set my TV child profiles to 0 and the TV boxsets count as 1. Film boxsets count as 0, and their children count as 1 each, which is the opposite of how I use the collection number. That way my collection number is "number of purchased titles" and the total reads as individual items, be it a TV series or a movie.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2010, 02:16:53 PM »
 :thumbup:

Dave
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

wewonit5times

« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »
That's the way I do it too Jon.

raesunshin

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2010, 05:17:56 AM »
But I'm very scare to see what kind of discussion happen there :laugh:
It's not a pretty sight, I can tell you that much.

Taro:

Skip has given you a detailed history of the rules, long ago, what's the problem?

Sanuye

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:53 PM »
I think that after almost 4 months and the answer from Achim, Taro has no problem at all!  :laugh:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2012, 02:45:37 PM »
Smee again,

Since I've reinstalled DVDPro(latest version) I can't "Refresh Updated Profiles". When I do, it goes through the motions - the progress bars for both "Scanning imgaes" and "Overall" are full but it just stays on that window and doesn't do anything else. The tab on my task bar (?(that thing at the bottom of my screen) for DVDPro says "DVD Profiler 100%"
The only thing I can do is click on the cancel button, which of course means that the profiels don't get updated.

Also, is it possible to create a report that will give me a list of my owned collection & wishlist, but to seperate them by format(blu/DVD), region(1, 2, 3 etc) and then list them alphabetically?
I have had a play but my attempts have been unsuccessful at best and frustrating at worst.
I want it quite simple, I don't need lots of info or covers.

Hell, is it possible to run one of the default reports, save it as an Excel doc and then piddle around with the spreadsheet?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
As for your failed Refresh Profiles, try a Database Repair first (Tools -> Options -> Utilities -> Repair Profile Database)

The second part: All reports can be based on Filters or Flags.

For example: Switch to your Wish List tab, switch to your Format filter, select Blu-ray and then sort by title ascending. Run the report and set it to "As filtered/sorted in collection listing".

I am not aware how you can filter by region, though.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools