Author Topic: DVD Profiler Help  (Read 25931 times)

Critter

Re: DVD Profiler Help
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »
And wireless access points are expensive, but if this is a normal house that's overkill.

As I said before, not a normal house computer set up, a lot of businesses in our town have their mail servers running through it.

If that's the Internet point, get Bob to swap that out for a wireless version. PS3 will be compatible with Netgear, it's the next points in the chain that will be stuffing it up. The existing WAPs could still work and you might be able to have a second wireless network that the PS3 can use. Netgear Wireless routers start at about £40 here; what would that be in your money?

I will suggest this but Bob seems set on the idea that he can't get it to work unless he tries a new WAP. Frankly I'm just sick of the whole thing now and wonder if the Playstation Network and online gaming will be worth it.

Najemikon

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »
And wireless access points are expensive, but if this is a normal house that's overkill.

As I said before, not a normal house computer set up, a lot of businesses in our town have their mail servers running through it.

Fair enough, but those are external users, so your internal stuff could be tidier. I hasten to add that this isn't a criticism; Bob is obviously a proper techy! It's just normal people like yourself suffer when IT people like us get started...  :-[

If that's the Internet point, get Bob to swap that out for a wireless version. PS3 will be compatible with Netgear, it's the next points in the chain that will be stuffing it up. The existing WAPs could still work and you might be able to have a second wireless network that the PS3 can use. Netgear Wireless routers start at about £40 here; what would that be in your money?

I will suggest this but Bob seems set on the idea that he can't get it to work unless he tries a new WAP. Frankly I'm just sick of the whole thing now and wonder if the Playstation Network and online gaming will be worth it.

Just say that to him and then forget about it. If he's anything like me he'll see it as a challenge.  ;)

Critter

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 11:44:53 PM »
Bob is obviously a proper techy! It's just normal people like yourself suffer when IT people like us get started... 

Haha hes certainly proper techy, he gets paid to hack into places computer systems (like doctors offices) and then tell them how he did it so he can fix it. And you're right, for a large part of this thread I've on barely had an idea about what's going on.

Just say that to him and then forget about it. If he's anything like me he'll see it as a challenge.

I think he has seen it as a challenge of sorts, especially since the course he teaches will next year have a unit especially for networking game consoles and the like, and now he can't even get his own at home to work!

Najemikon

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 12:54:59 AM »
Bob is obviously a proper techy! It's just normal people like yourself suffer when IT people like us get started... 

Haha hes certainly proper techy, he gets paid to hack into places computer systems (like doctors offices) and then tell them how he did it so he can fix it. And you're right, for a large part of this thread I've on barely had an idea about what's going on.

I'm thinking about getting into network security more as I've always thought what fun it is to do that. I used to look after networks for a chain of estate agents and looked after the firewalls. It's nerdy fun to stop people getting to certain sites!

Just say that to him and then forget about it. If he's anything like me he'll see it as a challenge.

I think he has seen it as a challenge of sorts, especially since the course he teaches will next year have a unit especially for networking game consoles and the like, and now he can't even get his own at home to work!

Hopefully you won't become his favourite anecdote about "the one that got away" and "how not to do it"!  ;)

Critter

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »
Hopefully you won't become his favourite anecdote about "the one that got away" and "how not to do it"!

Hahaha I can just imagine my PS3 becomming an example for his students at school of how some consoles just plain refuse to cooperate.  :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
I've got two new DVDs: Canada or Quebec?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
I've got quite a few R1 titles with dual-language sleeves and they are usually Canada. Can't think I've seen one as Quebec.

Because they are identical to the US releases, I think Canada is used as a common sense way of defining them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »
I've got two new DVDs: Canada or Quebec?

Both Canada. For the one with English and French overview, only take the English one. The French one is used, if submitted as Quebec.

I bought a lot of Canadian DVDs in the past, and a general rule is:

DVDs with both languages on the cover, see above.
DVDs with the English on one side and French on the other side of a reversable cover, similar to above, but the scans are taken from the English side for the Canada profile, and from the French side for the Quebec profile.

And for both cases: Take the English title for the Canada profile and the French title for the Quebec profile (usually both are printed on the cover)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
OK then. I stick with Canada. Thx.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Ask Mr. Know-it-all over at Invelos, you can always count on him putting his  :2cents: in.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:57:28 PM by Antares »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 08:46:42 PM »
Ask Mr. Know-it-all over at Invelos, you can always count on him putting his  :2cents: in.

Don't be discommodious :devil:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:14 PM »
Ask Mr. Know-it-all over at Invelos, you can always count on him putting his  :2cents: in.

Don't be discommodious :devil:

First off Kathy, my mother always warned me not to take advice from rapists... :tease: :hysterical: but seriously...

You know, I'm starting to think that he doesn't own a single DVD, and that he only has his collection set so high to keep his ability to troll the contribution threads.

Think about it, if you look at his posting history, he's almost continually on the forum, so it's obvious that he doesn't watch his discs.

Who the Hell in their right mind would purchase a region 2 DVD of Avatar whose regional location is Norway, when you've already purchased an R1 version?

At first I thought he was just padding his wishlist for the reason I mentioned above, but he actually has them in his Owned category.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 09:04:54 PM »
Who the Hell in their right mind would purchase a region 2 DVD of Avatar whose regional location is Norway, when you've already purchased an R1 version?
Easy... T!M just to annoy me when my collection was in the database :whistle:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »
OK, now I've contributed it under the english title in Canada and under the french title Monnaie courante in Quebec.
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
Good job :thumbup:
Way better than what I would have done since I would have contributed it in the Quebec locality only.