Author Topic: Do you collect anything besides DVD's?  (Read 9392 times)

Critter

Do you collect anything besides DVD's?
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:13:49 AM »
Just curious to know, apart from DVD's I have a large book collection which is always growing. I love reading and usually have about 2 or 3 books on the go at any one time.
I also have A LOT of magazines, mainly film ones and specialsed anime ones. I wouldn't really call it a collection but if anyone saw the amount I had they might consider it one.

... I also have a strange yet very large collection of little bean-bag lizard toys that I have collected from all over the world  :bag:

So, any interesting non DVD collections? Or do the DVD's take up most of your collecting energy?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Do you collect anything besides DVD's?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:14 AM »
I try to collect monkey doll (Yeah I know I'm a 39 years old guy and not a kid anymore but what can I say I find them cute), but each time my niece come here she goes with everyone of them...

So maybe I collect them for her :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »
So, any interesting non DVD collections? Or do the DVD's take up most of your collecting energy?
Blu-ray :bag:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I used to "collect" CDs but ever since I moved to Taiwan I got away from that a little and only occasionally buy new stuff. I now happily listen to the approx. 400 or 500 CDs I acquired in the past and don't really need new stuff.

Other than that, no, no further collections.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »
nope... not really anything else for me
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »
I collect Video games and game consoles I have about 25 consoles couple of hundred games split between them.

I collect comics, just the series i enjoy reading though.

Disney reference books, mainly those about Walt Disney, I write stuff about him alot.

Film memorabilia, figures, pictures, film cells, props.

pets

Barenaked Ladies memorabilia, cds, posters T-shirts, tickets.

uhh, I think thats it.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
Books and vinyl are my biggest collections after DVDs - several thousand of each. I only have a couple of hundred CDs - can't play vinyl in the car.

I also collect hippopotamus of every size shape and material - I had close to 400 at one point but am down to around 40 really special ones.

Oh my, looking around my living room I suppose I collect candles too. It's my friends fault though - they gave them to me! But they are super cool and very different. I have around 50 of them (with a couple of hundred plain ones I actually burn packed away in the basement).

My mom says I collect animals - 11 cats, 2 foster cats, 27+ feral cats (I trap them, get them fixed and release them back to their colonies on my street) and 4 dogs.

I used to keep all my memorabilia from concerts, plays, sporting events etc. but I pretty much got rid of most of that. See...I don't keep everything! I have kept all my Buffalo sports "stuff".

Finally, I have a lot of antiques. Most of them have some connection to Buffalo and the New York area. Pan Am items, Larkin Soap Company items/furniture and Kittinger furniture. I have several other pieces of furniture that were gifts from elderly friends and these were handed down from their elderly relatives and I have no idea where they came from.

madacid

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
I collected Achim's rejected Laserdiscs  :bag: .... unfortunatly he won't buy new ones :laugh:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »
Recipes, recipes and more recipes.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »
I don't collect other stuff in general, but if I start a series of something, I try to get it complete (e.g. certain comic book series, certain book series, ...).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »
I am like Karsten: When I start with something, I have to have it all.

In the past I bought a lot of CDs. But not so much the last few years. But I am still a completist where some artists are concerned.

About two years ago I started reading mangas. And now I have a fairly big collection of them. It started out with buying used completed manga series from eBay. And then I ventured out buying new manga series still being released.
The last few month I have stopped buying them for the most part. Though I still continue buying further volumes of manga series I have started with.

You can see my manga collection in my Online Collection

Critter

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »
I also collect hippopotamus of every size shape and material - I had close to 400 at one point but am down to around 40 really special ones.

Do you mean like figurines and stuff? If so then I am the same with dragons, I have little dragon statures all over my room! That and statues of Egyptian Gods.

You can see my manga collection in my Online Collection

Tom I am jealous of your manga. I would love to read manga one day but I just haven't had the chance. I see you have Elfen Lied and Death Note. I finished Elfen not long ago, I quite enjoyed it and I usually like the darker ones. I'm also currently working my way through Death Note.

By the way do you have a MAL (My Anime List) or do you just use that list?

It's a way of keeping track of all the anime you have watched, plan to watch and are watching etc.
Heres mine : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Critter&order=1&status=7&tag=
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:37:06 PM by Critter »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:22:59 AM »
By the way do you have a MAL (My Anime List) or do you just use that list?

It's a way of keeping track of all the anime you have watched, plan to watch and are watching etc.
Heres mine : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Critter&order=1&status=7&tag=

No, I do not have MAL.
I keep track of everything I have watched (TV Episodes) and read (Manga) with my Cinematic Collection Viewer Database, from which I have generated my Online Collection. What movies I have watched I keep track in DVDProfiler and then import the data into my CCViewer database, where I add additional information which I am not able to track in DVDProfiler.

Death Note is one of my favorites. I have read the manga twice so far. I have watched the two movies five times (which I love). And I have watched the anime once. I had started to list the differences between the three here. I still haven't gotten around to continue it though.

I have watched the Elfen Lied anime twice on DVD and once in the theatres (they have shown all DVDs there last year). I have started reading the manga after it was finally officially released outside of Japan (I don't like reading manga online. I prefer to have the real book in hand). They are releasing it in Germany. Only one double-volume left and the series is finished.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 12:34:10 AM »
Here my list of animes (extracted from my database):

TitleComment
The Adventures of Mini-Goddess
Ah! My Goddess: Season One
Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy: Season Two
Ah! My Goddess: The Movie
Ai Yori Aoshi
Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi
The Animatrix
Aoi & Mutsuki: A Pair of Queens!
Azumanga Daioh: Class Album
Batman: Gotham Knight
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad: The Complete Series
Best Student Council: Complete CollectionNot watched yet
Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-ChanPartially watched
Bottle Fairy
Chobits: Complete Collection
Cosplay Complex
Death Note
Death Note
Elfen Lied: Diclonius Report
Fantastic Children: Complete CollectionNot watched yet
FLCL
Full Metal Panic!: Complete Collection
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU: Complete Collection
Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid: The Complete Series
Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of ShamballaNot watched yet
Fullmetal Alchemist: Season OnePartially watched
Fullmetal Alchemist: Season TwoNot watched yet
Genshiken: Complete Collection
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Gokusen: The Complete Lesson
Grave of the Fireflies
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Gunslinger Girl: Box Set
Gunslinger Girl: Il TeatrinoNot watched yet
Haibane - Renmei: Ailes Grises
Happy Lesson: Teachers' Pet Collection
Highlander: The Search for Vengeance
If I See You In My Dreams: Complete OVA and TV Series
I''s/I''s Pure: 2 Complete SeriesNot watched yet
Kamichu!: The Complete Series
Karas: The Complete CollectionPartially watched
Karin: Complete Box Set
Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl
Kujibiki Unbalance: The CollectionNot watched yet
Love Hina: Specials
Love Hina: The Complete Series
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi: Complete CollectionNot watched yet
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Complete Collection
Midori Days: The Handheld Collection
Millennium Actress
My Dear Marie
My Dear Marie / Cosplay Complex
Noein: To Your Other Self: The Complete SeriesNot watched yet
Oh My Goddess!: OVA Series
Planetes: Complete Collection
Please Teacher!: Complete Collection
Please Twins!: Complete Collection
Project A-ko: DVD Collection
R.O.D: Read Or Die
Ramen Fighter Miki: Complete Collection
Ranma ½: Season One
Ranma ½: Season TwoNot watched yet
Rocket Girls: The Complete Collection
Rozen Maiden: Complete Series
Rumbling Hearts: The Complete SeriesNot watched yet
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (1) Episode 1-4
Samurai 7: The Complete SeriesPartially watched
She, the Ultimate Weapon: Complete Series & Another Love Song OVAPartially watched
Spirited Away
Suzuka: The Complete Series
This Ugly Yet Beautiful World: Complete CollectionNot watched yet
To Heart: Complete Collection
Voices of a Distant Star
Welcome to the N-H-KNot watched yet
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:36:26 AM by Tom »

Critter

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »
I have watched the Elfen Lied anime twice on DVD and once in the theatres (they have shown all DVDs there last year). I have started reading the manga after it was finally officially released outside of Japan (I don't like reading manga online. I prefer to have the real book in hand). They are releasing it in Germany. Only one double-volume left and the series is finished.

I have watched all of Elfen Lied once when I rented it from a video store but I am hoping to buy my own copy soon. I have actually only watched one episode of Death Note so far as they just started airing it on TV over here. I really enjoyed it and may end up buying the DVD too as I will probably get to a stage where waiting a week between each episode is hell haha.

I am also currently watching

Higurashi
Ouran High School Host Club
Noir
Naruto
Mai Hime

I actually don't have much anime on DVD at all yet but I am hoping to start collecting more anime soon. Although right now I wont be getting any more DVD's till after Christmas.Ha I just look at your list, out of all the ones you have, the only ones I own are Batman:Gotham Knight and Spirited Away.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:39:45 AM by Critter »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »
Higurashi
Ouran High School Host Club
Noir
Naruto

From these I have only seen "Noir". Don't own it myself. Overall I enjoyed it. But it moved too slowly for the most part. If they would have trimmed some stuff and made the series half as long, it would have been great.
I had watched the interviews of the English voice cast on the DVDs. Seeing the voice actresses talk stupid stuff made me glad that I only watch original soundtracks. The way they talked about the series made me doubt that they have any idea what they were talking about. There is a scene towards the end of the series, of which they thought it was unfitting and they had no idea when this came about. But if they would have paid attention, they would have seen this coming long ago. I was surprised that the makers really spelled it out so blatantly. Guess so that the last dumb viewer also gets it.