Author Topic: What kind of music do you like?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
What kind of music do you like?
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
Addicted, you are excused from this topic. :devil:

In general, I listen to all kinds of music, but my absolute favourite kind is "pompous" rock like "Queen" or "Meat Loaf". When I am in the mood for something quiter, I choose my best of "Abba" or "The Beatles".

What I also really like is symphonic soundtracks like "The Lord of the Rings".

Recently I began to listen to Metal which has just the right volume for me.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 01:35:06 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music do you like?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »
I'm pretty open to all kind of styles as well, but my favorites are what nowadays is labeled as "Alternative": PJ Harvey, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Patti Smith. Then there is the more experimental/avantgarde stuff like Laurie Anderson or Diamanda Galas. And finally some psychedelic '60s bands like Jefferson Airplane.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:37:27 PM by goodguy »
Matthias

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Just a few years ago, I would've told you without any hesitation Jazz (especially golden era swing bands (Benny Goodman, Glen Miller)) and Classical (mostly the grand, rougher and darker stuff like Richard Wagner).

Nowadays, I'm branching out big time, thanks to the game Rock Band.

I've discovered Brad Paisley, Evanescence, The Who, Grateful Dead, Boston, Paramore, Freezepop, Bang Camaro, Die Toten Hosen, Muse, Jimmy Buffet, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rush, System of a Down, The Offspring, etc.

If you look at that list, there's country, rock, punk, electropop (something I use to completely loath)...

I'm even currently downloading some Gregorian chants. Is that eclectic enough for you?  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:26:45 PM »
As you could probably tell from the subtle hint in my recent review of Queen on Fire, I think they're... ok.  ;) Sheryl Crow is another who can do no wrong. Bon Jovi, Oasis are dependable classics.

Otherwise, fairly wide-ranging. One of my absolute favourite songs is, perversely, Rob D Clubbed to Death! I grew up listening to the most unfashionable music possible (Country) so I've always respected the talent and diversity (contrary to popular opinion). I liked Johnny Cash before everyone jumped on the bandwagon after American IV, although that is an astonishing album.

My favourite genre is rock though. Currently enjoying Paramour and Foo Fighters, plus Jack White's side project The Raconteurs. I tend to enjoy old fashioned music with a modern twist, so I really got a kick out of The Noisettes. Big surprise that was and the lead singer is gorgeous...  :thumbup:

Touti

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 03:32:05 PM »
I'm even currently downloading some Gregorian chants. Is that eclectic enough for you?  :laugh:

I love Gregorian (I believe they also use the term "Plain Chant" in English).  Been listening to it for years.  There used to be a radio station in Montreal called "Radio Ville-Marie" which was playing Gregorian in the morning, I was listening to it on my way to work every day.

I also like Rock, Celtic. Baroque and French Canadian music known here as "Quebecois".  I was born in 64 so I like Rock from the Eighties.  Rush, Styx, Boston, Triumph, Queen and the likes.  On the "Let's smoke a huge one" side I liked (and still do) Vangelis and Alan Parson's Project.

On the more recent stuff I like some Guns & Roses, Bon Jovi, Melissa Etheridge, Jeff Healy and Joe Satriani (best Rock Guitar player in the world IMO).

I also try to discover music from other countries although I don't like how they tend to put everything in "World Music" now instead of going by genre.  That led me African singers like Geoffrey Oryema and Tiken Jah Fakoly.  Also a signer from the Netherlands named Anouk who's got quite a voice.

If I was force to keep music from only one artist then I would chose Chris de Burgh.  I remember him being described as "Modern Troubadour and best musical story teller in the world" and that's exactly what I like.  His songs really are short stories.

Finally, only Seb and Jimmy will know what I'm talking about but I really like "Les Trois Accords"  ;D

lovemunkey187

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
I was raised listening to both kinds of music - Country and Western. Which I do still listen to a whole helluva alot.

Country, Alternative, Metal, Rock, plus occaisionally some Electronica, Blues, Classical and Hip-Hop/Rap. So really anything except Dance/Jungle/Garage type noise, and eventhough I do listen to some fairly heavy stuff I can't get on with a lot of Death Metal, that's just noise.

Rogmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
I was raised on country music and unlike my brothers I stuck with it.  My dad bought Johnny Cash records and later gave them to me.  I now have about a hundred Cash albums and I saw him perform live 3 times in the 70s (I was going to country shows in the 70s and up until the mid-80s when I stopped).  I still listen to country but I don't listen to everyone...favorite singers include Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Dolly Parton and Tanya Tucker.  I like some rock though I've not bought any of that kind of music in awhile.  I was never really into heavy metal though I did like Lita Ford for a few years when she was popular.  I like some classical and I have a pretty big soundtrack collection...of course, I prefer score albums (orchestrated background music) to those song collections.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
I am listening to all kind of music. Rock and Pop. J-Pop and Filmi (Bollywood). The only music I do not listen to is "electronic dance music" like House etc.

A selection of artists I am listening to (in alphabetical order):
Die Ärzte, Alanis Morisette, Anouk, Barenaked Ladies, Green Day, J.B.O., k's Choice, Nirvana, The Offspring, Oku Hanako, Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stroke 9, Tegan and Sara, Tenacious D., Tori Amos, Weezer

Also I like to listen to musical soundtracks like:
Jesus Christ Superstar, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Dr. Horrible Sing-a-long Blog

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »
I can say that I like almost everything musically. Of course what I prefer is what I've grown up with and being almost 40 years old it means the eighties. So at my home the chance are high (if I don't watch a film) to hear top 40 (Michael Jackson, Cindy Lauper,...) or Heavy Metal (Manowar, Judas Priest, Metal Church) or Hair Metal (Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crue,...) and a lot of british stuff from their invasion in the eighties.

But as I've said I like almost everything so I can listen and enjoy a lot of stuff made in the last 50 years. Even while I type this I listen to disco music.

In fact some of the few musical genre I can't like are rap (old school and actual), French Canadian Western and prefabricated US pop music (Britney Spears and all the crap alike).

But if you really want to see me have a good time give me a live band in a small club playing French Canadian classic like Paul Piché, Gaston Mandeville, Harmonium or Beau Dommage. You can bet that I will end the party with them on stage singing (I am a poor singer, but most of those band aren't that great so it isn't that much of a problem). Of course it doesn't happen anymore since I've quitted drinking...

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:46:19 PM »
Tom, you mentioned Green Day; have you heard their side-project, The Foxboro Hot Tubs? At first they didn't reveal who they were, but finally confirmed they were one and the same band. Different, but in a good way. Well recommended.

...and a lot of british stuff from their invasion in the eighties.

Did we?  ??? You mean the New Romantic age when women were women and men were... also women? I had no idea that translated well abroad! :laugh: I grew up in the 80s too, but for the most part it passed me by. All synthesisers and flat singing. ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »
Tom, you mentioned Green Day; have you heard their side-project, The Foxboro Hot Tubs? At first they didn't reveal who they were, but finally confirmed they were one and the same band. Different, but in a good way. Well recommended.

I haven't followed Green Day for awhile now. I still like to listen to "Dookie" (the first Green Day CD I had bought), "Insomniac" and "Nimrod". But everything which came after that I didn't really follow. So I am not a die-hard fan, but I still like to listen to them even years after I have bought these CDs.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:15:21 PM »
You mean the New Romantic age when women were women and men were... also women?
:hysterical:
I like band like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Aztec Camera, Big Country, The Smith, Adam & the Ants and many others. So not just the type you had mentionned :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:17:09 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 10:35:51 PM »
You mean the New Romantic age when women were women and men were... also women?
:hysterical:
I like band like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Aztec Camera, Big Country, The Smith, Adam & the Ants and many others. So not just the type you had mentionned :laugh:

Make-up and highlights, one and all. Case closed!  :tease:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
I've always said I love music ranging from Adam Ant to ZZ Top - or how about ABBA to ZZ Top?!? Rock and Roll 1960's through the 1990's remains my favorite. But I love Jazz, the Blues, Punk Rock and Classical too. I like Country but not quite as much as the others. About the only music I don't much care for is Rap.

Favorite groups...way to many to list. I think I have something like 1500 - 2000 or more different artists in my vinyl collection. Of course the groups I have seen live hold a special place in my heart.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
Of course the groups I have seen live hold a special place in my heart.
It's always the case since we can remember a good night listen their album. Not that much big name came in my region but trough the years I've seen Samantha Fox, Honeymoon Suite, Loverboy, Glass Tiger, Metallica (the Master of Puppett era) and Skidrow (this one was awfull). Of course I've seen many French Canadian show, but no need to list them since no one except me, Eric and Sebastien know them.

I've missed Scorpions when they had come here, but from what my sister told me it wasn't really good so maybe it's for the better...