Author Topic: I Finally Bought A Video Game This Year  (Read 1916 times)

Rogmeister

I Finally Bought A Video Game This Year
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:47:08 PM »
I used to buy video games like everyone else here buys DVDs...but I hadn't bought one this year until this month.  One person at a board like this (but devoted to videogaming) sent me 3 games a few months back after I was in the hospital.  He sent me a PS1 game (Mega Man X4) plus a pair of PS2 games, Unison and Mobile Light Force 2.  But I finally bought one for myself.  It's a game I have been thinking of getting and I finally ordered a used copy through Amazon.com's Marketplace program...I paid about $10 for it plus shipping and it arrived yesterday...

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

If you're familiar with the Tomb Raider series, I believe this is a reworking of the very first Tomb Raider game (which was published for the first Playstation) but with much improved graphics and stuff.  It's like when they redid Resident Evil for the GameCube and PS2 as well.  I'm not buying many games anymore because I don't have a Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3 so the only systems I have they're still making games for are the PS2 and the Nintendo DS. 

What's the last game you bought?

Rogmeister

Re: I Finally Bought A Video Game This Year
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
Oops!  After typing this up, I realized I had actually bought a video game also back in February, so...never mind!  :laugh:  The game I got in February was a pinball collection, also for the PS2.  So I'm now at 2 video games bought during 2009 which is still very low.   :clap:

Najemikon

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
Good for you! I'm finally playing Assassin's Creed and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. The former is handy to offset the intensity of CoD... :training:

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
I have the first 3 Call of Duty games on the Xbox...I think all those take place during WW2.  I think there's a modern one (or two?) that did come out on the PS2 but one I'm thinking of still about $40 or so and I'm waiting for it to hit bargain basement prices  :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:01:38 PM »
I would love to check out that Tomb Raider game... that was always a favorite of mine.

I am ashamed to say the only video games I bought this year has been for Britt's Wii.
Pete

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »
I really enjoyed Tomb Raider anniversary, I have the special edition for PS2 has an art book and CD I believe, its a pretty fun game, closer to the original three then some of the newer have been.

I've bought a few games this year, some for wii some for the 360, Im currently playing Sonic Unleashed :p

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 03:15:02 AM »
I haven't gotten a new game in years.  Unless you count for the computer..then I got the new expansion for World of Warcraft last November.

I still don't have any of the newer game systems..I probably will eventually.

I rented the first Tomb Raider years ago and promptly got nowhere fast.  I was stuck in the cave or wherever she starts out and couldn't get out..   :laugh:  I got frustrated and gave up.  I may have mentioned that I have...issues with a lot of games.  When I tried a demo of Tomb Raider 3, I got stuck in a corner.   :laugh:

Rogmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 06:38:41 AM »
Maybe it's people like you they invented strategy guides for?  :P

I tried Tomb Raider: Anniversary for the first time this evening.  I enjoyed moving around and exploring a bit...nice graphics (it's snowing) and music.  I'm not sure where all I'm going...but I did make it into that cave or tomb or whatever it was with the big doors.  Then I saved and will try again tomorrow to see what else I can mess up.  :tease:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:42:19 AM »
Maybe it's people like you they invented strategy guides for?  :P

I tried Tomb Raider: Anniversary for the first time this evening.  I enjoyed moving around and exploring a bit...nice graphics (it's snowing) and music.  I'm not sure where all I'm going...but I did make it into that cave or tomb or whatever it was with the big doors.  Then I saved and will try again tomorrow to see what else I can mess up.  :tease:

:hysterical:
Oh I'm sure.  And even when I have looked up stuff or had strategy guides I've gotten stuck.   :hysterical:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 09:06:32 AM »
I haven't gotten a new game in years.  Unless you count for the computer..
You aren't the only one.
For me most of the new game looks the same : eye candy, no personallity and no fun...

I've given away my Playstation 2 maybe one year and a half after I've bought it, because I wasn't able to find something fun to play. This isn't because I haven't try since I've bought Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X2, Star Ocean : Illusion of Time (I think it's this one), Grand Theft Auto : Vice City, Devil May Cry 3 and Resident Evil 4. But none of those game was as fun and mind challenging than Final Fantasy 6 or The Adventure of Link or Dragon Warrior (yes, the antiquity for the original Nintendo) for me.

Critter

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
Just today I traded in 8 of my PS2 games which over the years would have cost me hundreds for a mere 20 bucks at our game store. I knew I wouldnt be able to get better prices though, since PS3 the PS2 games prices have dropped dramatically and so have the trade in prices. I'm hoping to get my PS3 soon and I dont even know what game I want to get as my first ps3 game yet.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 11:55:31 AM »
Just a heads up for those who think their PS2 is outdated.

We have been discussing this on a gaming forum, its very expensive, but then it proves why piracy is so big over in South America, strangely though, Brazil is very big on re releasing consoles, they re released the SEGA MAster System with hundreds of built in games, im glad that there is somewhere in the world where graphics don't count as much as game quality.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:38:45 PM by Emma (snowcat) »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
I'm glad that there is somewhere in the world where graphics don't count as much as game quality.
Exactly what I want to tell in my previous message ;D
For me nothing had beaten the fun of the game on the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis (name Megadrive in Europe, I think...). Sure the graphic wasn't great (it's relative when we see game like Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia or Megaman X) but the games were challenging and not a lot of cinematics. Honestly who had found Final Fantasy X on the Playstation tough, it's just a go there do that game with no real challenge or replay value that I've ended in less than a week... Just to compare, I've taken more than a year to complete Final Fantasy 6 and I've never completed the fourth episode.

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
I agree Jimmy! the Genesis or Megadrive as it was over hear is my all time favourite console! it was my first and ive had it since I was about 4.

all my favourite games are on the Megadrive, I play it more then my other consoles :S even the current gen!

I have a SNES too ;P but im more of a SEGA fan.