Author Topic: List Of Busiest Forums On The Net  (Read 3050 times)

Critter

List Of Busiest Forums On The Net
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
I just stumbled across this list. I'm not sure how entirely accurate it is but it's the most popular (ranked by user numbers or posts) forums on the net.

One of them, which as an Anime roleplay one has 20,000,996 members!  :stars:

http://rankings.big-boards.com/?sort=members

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: List Of Busiest Forums On The Net
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
One remark: These userlists depend heavily on the maintenance schedule of the board. For example, some boards never remove any user (except for banning) no matter if he ever came back after registering. Thus their numbers are always higher than on boards that remove nominal member (In german we have a nice word for this: Karteileiche - literally: card index corpse ;D)

But 20 million is still freakishly huge.  :o
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Critter

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 11:34:37 AM »
So do you mean some forums remove users who join and never post while others don't?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:54:32 AM »
So do you mean some forums remove users who join and never post while others don't?

Yes. In my other forum we have the policy "If you haven't logged in for a year and have less than 11 postings, you're off" ... ascending to ... "If you haven't logged in for four years you're off no matter how many postings you have".
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »
Ah I see, do we have something like that in this forum? I notice a lot of people just join and never post.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 12:12:17 PM »
As long as they visit regularily I don't mind them. Maybe they need the accounts for private messaging or want to see the new posts... It's only about the "I don't care enough to ever visit again" crowd.
Karsten

Critter

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »
So just say two people join and never post and one still looks at the site and the other never comes again. You can tell when something like that happens? That's pretty cool.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
You can tell when something like that happens? That's pretty cool.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!
Karsten

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
So just say two people join and never post and one still looks at the site and the other never comes again. You can tell when something like that happens? That's pretty cool.

You can tell it, too. Just go to the profile page of a member and you see date the member has been active last.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »

Yeah, it would be but Karsten is a cruel taskmaster. You'll get a PM in about a month, demanding an impossible post rate, but he'll blackmail you! You'll never be free!

Oh... oh no. He's heard me. :fingerchew:

Touti

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 01:58:17 PM »
Many forum owners have different policies for different forums depending on the size.  My forum is small, it doesn't and will never have many members so I see no reason to keep them for a long time if they don't visit.

People often register on forums just to see if it gives them access to some hidden stuff and when they realize it doesn't they don't bother login in again.

Every month I remove users who:

Haven't visited in 60 days and have 0 posts.
Haven't visited in more than 6 months regardless of posts count.

Karsten I have to ask...................why 11 posts, why not 10 or 12 ?  :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 03:49:43 PM »
Karsten I have to ask...................why 11 posts, why not 10 or 12 ?  :shrug:

10 posts is a nice round number. 11 posts shows commitment.  ;D
Karsten

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »
Not really the kind of forum I would like. Too many peoples to know everyone or at least a good part of the membership.

What's the point to be on a forum if you know no one and no one care or recognize you when you post :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »
What's the point to be on a forum if you know no one and no one care or recognize you when you post :shrug:

Now you mention it: Welcome to the forums, Jimmy! I hope you will read postings from you in the future. Have a nice stay!

Hey, wait a moment!!

What was your name again?
Karsten

snowcat

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
Not really the kind of forum I would like. Too many peoples to know everyone or at least a good part of the membership.

Agreed, A forum is a community that many people is silly, you would never know anyone! Even forums that are classed as having 1000 members often only have a handfull of posters.

I also find it intimidating joining a forum with alot of members. :/