Author Topic: new e-mail address  (Read 1501 times)

richierich

new e-mail address
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »
Hi all

Can someone recommend a good e-mail provider, as I now need a personal mail address seperate to business one, which is now being copied to the company.

Thanks
Rich

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: new e-mail address
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
Except fro googleMail I only know german providers, but you could check if http://www.gmx.net has an English interface (it's blocked from my work)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:52:39 PM »
Rich, is there any reason you can't or don't want to use one from you ISP ?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »

I had one from my ISP in the past. But when I switched ISP, I lost my email address. This is why I now use a non-ISP email address as my main personal email account. Though the one I use is German.
The important thing (at least for me) is to look for a free provider, who supports POP3 or IMAP. There are a lot of free email providers which only work via web access.

richierich

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 06:21:20 PM »

I had one from my ISP in the past. But when I switched ISP, I lost my email address. This is why I now use a non-ISP email address as my main personal email account. Though the one I use is German.
The important thing (at least for me) is to look for a free provider, who supports POP3 or IMAP. There are a lot of free email providers which only work via web access.

This is why I won't use my ISP provider for an e-mail address. I have to face up to selling/losing my house and thus the current isp, so an online address will be more beneficial in terms of longevity

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:18:10 AM »
I use Google (could invite you, but I think that's no longer required) and have a paid for Yahoo! account!.

Google is free and offers POP3 and IMAP. Of course, they also "read" your mail for personalized advertisements, if one is concerned about such things. (Well, they turned from underdog to big corporation, I guess such things come with the territory.)

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
Ive been using a Gmail account for a college website ive been helping create, I have received no Span and im very happy with it, id recommend it.

richierich

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I am talking with Eric as he has given me an idea of how to pre-prepare with a dedicated address which may provide me with a better long-term solution.

cheers
rich

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »
I was invited to googlemail by a friend in the past. But I didn't use that account because I do not trust Google. The only mails I got there were from my friend who invited me. And even though I never used this address anywhere else, I have got a lot of spam on that account. I have deleted this account because of this.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »
I got a HTC Hero a couple of months ago and that insists on a Google account so I set one up for that. I've had no problems with it, but I only use it as a login and paying for phone apps.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
I was invited to googlemail by a friend in the past. But I didn't use that account because I do not trust Google. The only mails I got there were from my friend who invited me. And even though I never used this address anywhere else, I have got a lot of spam on that account. I have deleted this account because of this.
FWIW, I also get a "regular" amount of spam at GMail, just as at Yahoo! or anywhere, really. It is not only about the provider giving away your address or that provider being bombarded with random address choices for spam. I found that you'll often get spam through your e-mail address being stored on a computer which has a spyware problem...

Yahoo! had a great tool to help limit (not prevent) spam. You can make up to 50 temporary addresses, based on a name of your choice. Then you use them to sign up somewhere or whatever you need it for and if spam arises or you don't need it anymore you just delete it and make a new one.