Author Topic: It is official.............I'm an idiot.........  (Read 2330 times)

Touti

It is official.............I'm an idiot.........
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »
......and I'm also real pissed right now.

So it is Halloween and I just sat down to watch Pan's Labyrinth that I have been keeping on hold for weeks specially for tonight.....................................and now I realize it's a Spanish movie with no fucking English sound track.  :redcard:

I feel so goddamn stupid for not checking that before buying the movie.................my evening is wasted by my own fault.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: It is official.............I'm an idiot.........
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »
But surely it has English subtitles ;)
Why would anyone bother to watch a dub anyway  :tease:

Touti

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »
Yes Tom,

It does have English subtitles...........not frenche though  :yellowcard:

I'm not angry because it doesn't have an English soundtrack, I don't watch dubbed movies, I'm angry because I was stupid, didn't do the basic checks one is supposed to do before buying a DVD and ended up tonight "stuck" with a movie in a language I don't understand.

It's just not what I had planned for tonight, I wanted to sit and watch a good horror movie for Halloween...........not have to watch and read at the same time.

But I'm the only one to blame.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:58:38 PM by Eric »

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:01:59 AM »
But... Pan's Labyrinth IS a spanish movie. So if you were going to watch the English language track, you'd be watching it dubbed!

Unless you are saying you don't want english subtitles and wanted french ones..

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
I'm sorry tonight didn't turn out the way you hoped.  :console:

Touti

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:11:19 AM »
But... Pan's Labyrinth IS a spanish movie. So if you were going to watch the English language track, you'd be watching it dubbed!

Unless you are saying you don't want english subtitles and wanted french ones..

No Seb,  what I'm saying is I didn't know it was a Spanish movie  :bag:. I just didn't expect/plan to be watching a movie in a foreign language tonight and I'm not really in the mood for it................but then maybe that's what Halloween is all about...............the unexpected !

Touti

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 02:51:49 AM »
Still a good a movie anyway............................. ;D

Critter

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 03:19:54 AM »
Glad you ended up liking it Eric. I studied Pan's in my media class at school and loved it. Unfortunatly now I'm a bit sick of it though, we had to watch the whole film and certain scenes over and over while watching it.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 04:21:12 AM »
I did enjoy the movie when I saw it, but I knew I was going to have to read subtitles to understand what was going on.  I do have to be in the right mood for that too.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 08:52:51 AM »
I'm used to reading subtitles while watching things so it really doesn't bother me. Just like second nature, I like to watch most of my anime in Japanese with english subs. The bonus to that is I'm starting to recognise loads of Japanese words.

snowcat

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 10:37:58 AM »
Pans labyrinth is a great film, and Id recommend Guillermo del Toro produced movie the Orphanage, which is in Spanish but my version has English, French and Spanish subtitles.

As for subtitles, my hearing is a little off, I watch everything with subtitles and if I could get away with it id watch everyday television with subtitles (Unfortunately the rest of my household hates it.)

I honestly think I gain a better understanding of a film, with the subtitles, but as I said... that could be because I have hearing problems  :hysterical:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »
I read so fast that subtitles are a breeze. Like Emma my hearing isn't the best; too many LOUD concerts over the years!

I do not care for dubbing - the voice actors have never gotten it right as far as I'm concerned. I'll suffer through it if I must but it always distracts me from the film.

I also sometimes use it even if the film is in English. Although I love the "foreign" accent - I can't understand a word those bloody British say! :tease:

snowcat

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »

I also sometimes use it even if the film is in English. Although I love the "foreign" accent - I can't understand a word those bloody British say! :tease:

HAHAHA! nobody can understand us!  I love subtitles though XD

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
I love subtitles though XD

Too bad, many british DVDs are missing them (Xena, Farscape, ..)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 06:28:39 PM »
I can't understand a word those bloody British say! :tease:
No problem with the British for me, but for the Australian and the New-York Bronx accents it's another thing. But I'm more and more use to understand the bronx accent.