Author Topic: To All My Great Friends Here...  (Read 5251 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
To All My Great Friends Here...
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
We heard back from one of my mother's doctors today. And it isn't good news. Not really at all. Her cancer is indeed back. she has 2 small tumors. One in her breast and one in her lung. The doctors are not concerned too much with these as they are very small... and she could go on for years with them. But her respiratory system... that is another matter. Her Emphysema has advanced quite a bit... and that is coupled with COPD... The hospital is to the point of contacting Hospice now.

Anyway... I am afraid this means that there is going to be A LOT going on around here for some time to come. Because of this I am afraid my time at this site... well the internet all together is going to be extremely limited. And because of that I wanted to say a few things.

I mostly wanted to say Thank You for a wonderful site to discuss our favorite past time. And Thank You to all the great people here... people that makes me feel welcome so easily. I don't really understand it... but some how I met better friends over the internet then I ever had in person in my entire life! You are all a great bunch of people. Kind, caring, friendly... and many generous souls here.

I know how this sounds... but no... I am not saying goodbye. I will be around when I can. But I am afraid at least for the (who knows how long) foreseeable future... I am afraid I will not be able to participate and review the movies and shows that I am able to fit in. We have A LOT of changes to make around the house to prepare for things... and that is going to take up so much time.

Anyway... even though I will be around some here and there when I can. I didn't want it to look like I just disappeared. I wouldn't do that. I will be popping in from time to time... will post as I can... but will probably be only to make comments where I can and say hey I watched such and such... just afraid the reviewing is over for a while.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: To All My Great Friends Here...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:37:32 PM »
Hospice is a wonderful organization Pete. The philosophy of Hospice has a holistic approach that promotes the physical, emotional and spiritual comfort and well being of individuals. A plan of care is developed that encompasses both the family and patient in order to meet their needs.

Hospice is about living every day, every moment to its fullest. They will be able to provide your mom and your family with many services that will make her life so much better at home.

You know my best thoughts and wishes are with you and your family during the difficult time. If you need me at all, for whatever reason, please send me a pm.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »
Thanks Kathy... I am finding out there is so much to what we are trying to get done. It looks like I will be awful busy for a time to come.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:09:54 PM »
I have an idea what you must be going through. When my grandmother got pancreatic cancer and got into our "hospice" equivalent here in Canada, we ended up having to build a whole other room into the basement and move around (me in the new room, sister in my old one, my parents into my sister's and my grandmother moved into my parent's room) it was a lot of preparation and work. But in the end, it was completely and entirely worth it, both for the family and my grandmother.

Grandma ended up living close to those she loved, there was always someone home to help her, and the whole family got to see her whenever they wanted. Which is, after all, much better and comfortable than anything an hospital can do.

Cherish this time Pete, it's very important. Even though it was a difficult time, these months when Grandma lived with us hold some of the best memories of my time with her.

All the best to your and your family Pete in these difficult time. We'll be here whenever you want to talk.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:01 PM »
Thanks Sébastien...

Although not quite to the extent off adding onto the house that is basically a big part of what we are doing here now.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »
As you know I lost my Dad to cancer, but it was a very brief illness. However his few visits to our Hospice were the only time I think he felt he was getting the right support. I'm afraid I have little faith in our hospital system, but the people there were great. The worst feeling for him was having to rely on other people, especially us, his family; the average nurse, I'm sorry to say, made him feel even more of a nuisance, but the Hospice respected him and it can't make enough difference. We also have a charitable service called the MacMillan nurses and they were on another level all together. Absolutely incredible. Kathy makes it sound like it's the same sort of attitude, so grab everything they offer with both hands!

I'm sure you'll be fine, Pete. You're in the middle of something no-one really talks about, but is one of the most stressful things you can take on. It sounds like you have a family to be proud of and that can be all too often rare. Take it easy, and pop in even if when you don't feel like it, because you know we'll always try and cheer you up. Does your Mum know you talk to all these nutty people around the world?  ;)

Best wishes, Pete, to all of you, and especially your Mum.

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
I am sorry to hear it has come to this Pete. I know you are extremely close with your Mom. Fortunately you have what seems to be a close knit family unit. Use each other to help get through this, it will help I know.

My thoughts are with you, Brittany and the rest of your family.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:27 PM »
Thanks guys...

@Jon...
My mother knows I talk to people all over the world on this thing. So even though I never said so I am sure she realizes.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this.  :(
Don't worry about how much you post..just concentrate on things with your family and we'll be here when you have the chance to stop by for a visit.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:57:30 PM »
You'll be missed Pete!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »
Thank you both...
a quick update... they are moving her out of the hospital into a hospice facility today... in about an hour and a half from now. Where she will stay temporarily until she gets strong enough to come home.  Then she will be set up with everything she needs through hospice right here at home. And have a nurse come over regularly to care for her.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 03:08:27 AM »
Is there any family that is closer to the facility she is going to for now?  That will be good that she'll be able to come back home.  I'm sure she'll be happier there.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
this place is only 5 minutes away from the hospital where she was. I just got off the phone with her... and she really seems to like the place already. And said the people are fantastic. That they are treating her great. She also comment that there is even a place for visitors to spend the night. So I think I may spend the night up there with her tonight. I will have to bring my laptop and some DVDs as I am sure she will be sleeping a lot. This way I may be able to watch something.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 04:32:19 PM »
Pete, I've been away for several days...I had surgery on Tuesday and have been in the hospital since then until yesterday.  So I am very sorry to hear about your mother's condition and you know I'll be pulling for her.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
Roger,

I hadn't realized you were ailing - I hope everything is improving and you are on your way to a complete recovery. I'm glad to hear you are home - that is always better than being hospitalized.