Author Topic: Roman Polanski arrested  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Roman Polanski arrested
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »
I don't know that much about the original situation....I didn't know he had served any time..just had read that he pleaded guilty and then left the country.  If he really did serve a sentence, then I don't get what is going on.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
From Wikipedia.fr

"Après une affaire de mœurs en 1977 où il est accusé de viol sur une mineure de 13 ans et pour laquelle il purge une peine de prison de 47 jours, Polanski fuit vers la France dont il possédait la nationalité depuis 2 ans (étant né à Paris, il avait droit à son obtention par droit du sol)[3]. Il ne reviendra jamais sur le sol américain de peur d'être à nouveau incarcéré et de voir son procès révisé après la volonté du magistrat en charge de l'affaire de revenir sur les termes du plaidoyer de marchandage."

Translation from Google

"After a sex scandal in 1977 where he is accused of raping a minor of 13 years and for which he is serving a prison sentence of 47 days, Polanski fled to France where he had citizenship since 2 years (having been born in Paris he was entitled to its acquisition by jus soli) [3]. It will never come back on American soil for fear of being imprisoned again and see his trial after the revised determination of the magistrate in charge of the case to reconsider the terms of the plea bargain."

I've not used the english wikipedia entry because of one factor : the page is lock by them and the editing who was done is controversial.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 01:16:42 PM »
Jimmy - I want to comment on your comment hopefully not making you comment again! :laugh:

But seriously, I did not know that. I didn't pay too much attention at the time and have only read a little bit about it recently. You are right, no matter what we feel about the sentence if he filled his legal requirements then this shouldn't be an issue. But, as someone noted earlier, it might be about celebrity.

Touti

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »
Jimmy I don't think you got the facts right.  I don't think his 45 days in jail were his sentence and he wasn't judged.  He was arrested and put and kept in jail for a while before his trial.  He pleaded guilty to reduced accusations and then flew away before going back to court to receive is sentence.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 03:41:52 PM »
I don't have a daughter, but my gut reaction is along the lines with Rich and Pete. And I found the images of the "Free Polanski" demonstrants in Switzerland really disturbing.
Matthias

Touti

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on internet as to how and why he ran away.  Some say that it's a case of statutory rape which mean the girl was consenting but it's illegal anyway.  I also read that the judge did many things wrong and that it was he who apparently didn't want to respect the deal that had been made.  I find it difficult to make a clear opinion on whether it's right or not to still pursuing him but one thing doesn't change no matter what.......a 45 year old man getting aroused by a 13 year old has serious problems.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
And I found the images of the "Free Polanski" demonstrants in Switzerland really disturbing.

There is now a petition (probably one of many) signed by a staggering large number of filmmakers and actors, many of whom I love and admire. The gist of it: Polanski is a great artist, don't arrest him. Film festivals are extraterritorial by nature, filmmakers should be save there. I'm at a loss for words.
Matthias

Touti

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »
Film festivals are extraterritorial by nature, filmmakers should be save there.

I've seen this comments made over and over again by a lot people who relate one way or another to the movie industry including directors, actors, critics and so on.  No matter how many times I read/hear it I just can't agree with this.  Whether Polanski is a criminal or not and whether he should be arrested or not is a debate in itself but IMO once the authorities have identified someone as a criminal then they are fully legitimate to use any means at their disposal to arrest him.

The simple truth here is that people all over the world still consider that abusing women isn't that bad of a crime.  Nobody would say it's wrong to use the festival to arrest Polanski if he was wanted for murder or terrorism, there would be no petition, no director or actress of film festival organizer would want to be seen with him and they would all be giving as many interviews as they can to say that they never really liked him but couldn't say because of this and that.  If he was identified as one of the world's worst war criminal, responsible for the holocaust or for a genocide, would it be wrong to use a festival to arrest him ?

I think not.  In my opinion he's getting what he deserves. 

leo1963

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
As a father and an American Citizen I say "Hang his ass".  if the average joe did that there would be no question.  ship him back and throw him in jail for his full sentence.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 04:49:19 AM »
And I found the images of the "Free Polanski" demonstrants in Switzerland really disturbing.

There is now a petition (probably one of many) signed by a staggering large number of filmmakers and actors, many of whom I love and admire. The gist of it: Polanski is a great artist, don't arrest him. Film festivals are extraterritorial by nature, filmmakers should be save there. I'm at a loss for words.

The free Polanski stuff and the petition is blowing my mind, especially since I've thought about this more.  What he did was wrong, both with the girl and with fleeing the country because he didn't want to go to jail...he should have thought of that before and kept his pants zipped.  And people saying he should be let go because he's such a great artist is a bunch of bullshit - sorry for the language.  Just because he has made some good movies does not grant him a get out of a jail free card..or it shouldn't.  Famous people and so called artists are not above the law.  Any normal man - I mean non famous and not considered a artist - would not have gotten away with this to begin with, let alone be able to be a fugitive for 30 years.  They would have been thrown in jail after it happened.  The filmmakers and actors signing that  petition are out of touch and they don't impress me.

I think I'm done now.

leo1963

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 03:49:04 PM »

The free Polanski stuff and the petition is blowing my mind, especially since I've thought about this more.  What he did was wrong, both with the girl and with fleeing the country because he didn't want to go to jail...he should have thought of that before and kept his pants zipped.  And people saying he should be let go because he's such a great artist is a bunch of bullshit - sorry for the language.  Just because he has made some good movies does not grant him a get out of a jail free card..or it shouldn't.  Famous people and so called artists are not above the law.  Any normal man - I mean non famous and not considered a artist - would not have gotten away with this to begin with, let alone be able to be a fugitive for 30 years.  They would have been thrown in jail after it happened.  The filmmakers and actors signing that  petition are out of touch and they don't impress me.

I think I'm done now.

Good to hear a smart point of view.  Actors and Actresses take themselves way to serious and should stay out of social issues and stick with acting.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 04:10:20 PM »
Good to hear a smart point of view.  Actors and Actresses take themselves way to serious and should stay out of social issues and stick with acting.

Nah, they have the same right to express their opinion as everyone else ... even when they are misguided...

Still, I'd like if you could refrain from postings of the "hang 'em higher" kind .  :thanks:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:17:51 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

leo1963

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
Good to hear a smart point of view.  Actors and Actresses take themselves way to serious and should stay out of social issues and stick with acting.

Nah, they have the same right to express their opinion as everyone else ... even when they are misguided...

Still, I'd like if you could refrain from postings of the "hang 'em higher" kind .  :thanks:

be happy too...  He will answer someday to a high power.

Touti

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 06:01:17 PM »
Interesting news I just read on internet.  Apparently Polanski agreed back in 1993 to pay his victim the amount of 500,000$.  This was not supposed to be revealed ever but the amount became public after a 2 years law suit to get the money.  The last document deposited in August 1996 mentioned a amount due of 604,416$ with interest.  The papers given to the press do not say if he paid in the end.  His american lawyer claims he doesn't remember the details of this case and the victim's counsel has not commented.

Interesting, so it seems that every 20 years or so this guy makes a deal and then doesn't respect it...............but I guess it doesn't matter..............................he's an Artist !

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
I read about that story yesterday too.