Author Topic: Wes Craven  (Read 10339 times)

Najemikon

Re: Wes Craven
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 09:27:37 PM »
Up until Le Samourai, I didn't think I liked French film. Apart from Amelie, which has a distinctly Hollywood flavour. But the story attracted me as I'm a sucker for anything about the Samurai culture, especially when applied to a modern setting. I'm also going to pick up Wages of Fear at some point, so for now, I have no recommendation for other Melville! I can recommend The Yakuza and Ghost Dog though...  :-[

For Hostel Part II, I think you found a brilliantly insightful review right on this site...  :tease: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,513.0.html

Whoops! Forgot to mention. Despite me starting a thread calling into question the talent of Mr. Craven, I bought a sodding boxset today. It has Scream, Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes and Mind Ripper, plus documentaries. Five discs in all for £5.99. I'm double-dipping Last House (ironically, worst film ever made, yet I now have multiples! :yucky: ), but planned on getting The Hills Have Eyes so it wasn't much more. Plus I've never seen anything of Mind Ripper... Bargain.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:38:35 PM by Najemikon »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »
I'm also going to pick up Wages of Fear at some point, so for now, I have no recommendation for other Melville! I can recommend The Yakuza and Ghost Dog though...  :-[
Wages of Fear is on my Wish List. I saw you mentioning The Yakuza several times, I should take a look. Ghost Dog...? Isn't that the movie with Forest Whitaker?

For Hostel Part II, I think you found a brilliantly insightful review right on this site...  :tease: http://www.dvdcollectorsonline.com/index.php/topic,513.0.html
:hysterical:

I checked the review at DVD Talk... You know what, I think I really did think of your post when writing my post, just forgot I had read that. Thanks for the recommendation! :laugh: (Point awarded)

Whoops! Forgot to mention. Despite me starting a thread calling into question the talent of Mr. Craven, I bought a sodding boxset today. It has Scream, Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes and Mind Ripper, plus documentaries. Five discs in all for £5.99. I'm double-dipping Last House (ironically, worst film ever made, yet I now have multiples! :yucky: ), but planned on getting The Hills Have Eyes so it wasn't much more. Plus I've never seen anything of Mind Ripper... Bargain.
Sorry about the double dip. Never saw Mind Ripper myself, but Scream is fun for what it is and The Hills Have Eyes is a quite a good film.

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »
No problem with a double-dip. Ebay is my friend...  :P

And yes, you're thinking of the right Ghost Dog. It's an unusual film and perhaps too quirky for its own good, but it's still very good. The central character is a hitman who lives his life by the Samurai code. I love the scenes with his best friend; a French ice-cream seller who can't speak English and because Ghost Dog can't speak French, their subtitled conversations are hilarious!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:14:30 PM by Najemikon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 07:32:41 PM »
You know... I bought Ghost Dog several years ago for $5 when the video store I worked at went out of business... and it still sits in my unwatched pile!  :bag:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 06:00:30 AM »
Jon, after that description, I'll add Ghost Dog to my Wish List.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 02:01:10 PM »
You know... I bought Ghost Dog several years ago for $5 when the video store I worked at went out of business... and it still sits in my unwatched pile!  :bag:

Watch it as soon as possible.  It's a great little film, that seems to miss an awful lot of people.

I was fortunate enough to catch this at the cinema on a very limited run and bought the DVD as soon as it came out. for me it's a 7.5/10 film.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 02:23:44 PM »

Watch it as soon as possible.  It's a great little film, that seems to miss an awful lot of people.

I was fortunate enough to catch this at the cinema on a very limited run and bought the DVD as soon as it came out. for me it's a 7.5/10 film.

You're right, it does pass a lot of people by. A shame because it is beautifully made. I described it as quirky, which is probably right and possibly why it didn't make more of an impact, but what I like is that Ghost Dog himself doesn't seem odd or out of place. On paper, he sounds like he's going to be the freak, along with the French ice-cream man, but it's only that pair who seem truly comfortable with themselves.

But whatever you think, it also has one of the coolest kill-shots I've seen in a hitman film!  ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Sounds like I will have to watch this one soon!  :)
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
Sure...drive me crazy. I spent 20 minutes looking for Wes Craven's Ghost Dog! :laugh:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Sure...drive me crazy. I spent 20 minutes looking for Wes Craven's Ghost Dog! :laugh:

#194 in my collection.

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 08:06:39 PM »
 :weirdo:

lovemunkey187

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 09:59:19 AM »
Up until Le Samourai, I didn't think I liked French film. Apart from Amelie, which has a distinctly Hollywood flavour. But the story attracted me as I'm a sucker for anything about the Samurai culture, especially when applied to a modern setting. I'm also going to pick up Wages of Fear at some point, so for now, I have no recommendation for other Melville! I can recommend The Yakuza and Ghost Dog though...  :-[

As a rule I'm not a fan of French cinema, but how about:
Angel-A
Banneliue 13(District 13)
The Big Blue
Delicatessen
La Haine
Nikita
Taxi

Not a nice viewing experience, but one that will leave you thinking: Irreversible.

And these are just the ones in my collection.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »
As a rule I'm not a fan of French cinema, but how about:
I own several of those as well, so I'll give some comments:

36 don't know
Angel-A Luc Besson, read good reviews, currently on my Wish List
Banneliue 13(District 13) mindless action fun
The Big Blue beautiful
Delicatessen hilarious
La Haine don't know
Nikita cool action flick (remade as Point of No Return :yucky:; and wasn't there even a TV series?)
Taxi produced by Luc Besson; I wish there had been English subs when I saw that (not that they are needed)

Not a nice viewing experience, but one that will leave you thinking: Irreversible.
Agreed. What makes the viewing experience bearable is the special form of presentation (the end makes you somewhat forget what happened at the beginning)[/color]

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 01:23:31 PM »
Nikita cool action flick (remade as Point of No Return :yucky:; and wasn't there even a TV series?)
La Femme Nikita
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

lovemunkey187

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
36 don't know
Angel-A Luc Besson, read good reviews, currently on my Wish List

36, for some reason gets compared to Heat, not sure why. A good police thriller, with great preformances from Depardieu and Auteill
Angel-A, Possibly my fave Besson film, almost a modern day fairytale, or atleast that how I see it.