Author Topic: I did it  (Read 5168 times)

Touti

Re: I did it
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »
I think that's a hoax.  He wouldn't have been able to post on her wall unless she added him to his friends so that kills the "You forgot to add me here" part.  Unless she's stupid enough to add him as a friend after blasting him on her wall, doubtful !

I also think that's a hoax (albeit still funny to read), but I also thought that "You forgot about adding me here" meant that she forgot that she added him as friend.

That's how I read it also

Yes you two are right, I misunderstood the sentence............me frenchie !!!!!!

lyonsden5

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 05:34:56 PM »
Pretty freggin funny  :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
Although I do think it's a hoax as well, I think you can set your FB security low enough to let people comment.

Interestingly you do have to be careful though. My place proved last week in a friendly bulletin that they regularly scan for comments and posted a transcript of someone's Twitter conversation to prove it; they'd mentioned the company name, luckily being nice, but it caused the red flags to spring up! :laugh:

Oh and regards anti-virus, Kathy, I prefer Avira that Karsten posted out of the two. Used to use AVG, but PC seems faster since using the other one...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 07:00:27 PM »
Oh and regards anti-virus, Kathy, I prefer Avira that Karsten posted out of the two. Used to use AVG, but PC seems faster since using the other one...
I used to read about AVG being among the best. Of course I can Google some tomorrow, but I assume you'd say Avira ranks the same, especially the free version...? (Downloading now...)

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 07:11:26 PM »
I used to read about AVG being among the best. Of course I can Google some tomorrow, but I assume you'd say Avira ranks the same, especially the free version...? (Downloading now...)

Swings and roundabouts. AVG dropped the ball a bit last year and slipped down the rankings, and from what I read, it was failing to catch some things. All free AV is like that though so the key for me was performance.

I'm actually using Avast at the moment and there's little difference to Avira, except you don't get the huge ad popping up (and you do get a cool voice telling you when you've had an update! :D)

Touti

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
(and you do get a cool voice telling you when you've had an update! :D)

Yes.........that thing that made me get rid of Avast because it scared the shit out of me every time it spoke.

lyonsden5

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 09:06:47 PM »
(and you do get a cool voice telling you when you've had an update! :D)

Yes.........that thing that made me get rid of Avast because it scared the shit out of me every time it spoke.

Especially if it updates in the middle of the night!

But I agree with Jon, it is a cool sounding voice
... virus database has been updated  :laugh:

The only problem I have with Avast (and it may not be with Avast) is my Zone Alarm Pro asks for permission to run it everytime I start my machine. I thought perhaps it was due to the daily updates "changing" the program so I tried authorizing it to run and then restarted. Same thing - it needed approval again. No biggie... just sayin  :-\

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 06:09:56 AM »
Swings and roundabouts. AVG dropped the ball a bit last year and slipped down the rankings, and from what I read, it was failing to catch some things. All free AV is like that though so the key for me was performance.

I'm actually using Avast at the moment and there's little difference to Avira, except you don't get the huge ad popping up (and you do get a cool voice telling you when you've had an update! :D)
:hmmmm: seems like I will switch.

I downloaded Avira and Avast in their free versions and will try to find out via Google which one is the one to choose. It appears that Avira has the better ratings at download.com, but I may have been looking at the wrong thing.

I only use Wondows XP in a VM and there only for DVDP. All my web browsing is done in Mac OS X and I have a virus scanner there as well (free version).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 12:39:52 PM »
I downloaded Avira last night, thank you Karsten. I don't mind the ad showing up and the voice doesn't bother me because I keep my computer mute most of the time. As for performance. let me know if there is a significant difference. I wouldn't know it if there were! :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18:35 AM »
Warning...rant ahead!

My computer is broken! :voodoo:

I turned on my computer as usual the other day and I can not get the curser to move. It locks in position and I can not get it to work. I called Office Depot and they are going to give me a new one sometime next week when they get it in from another store. I think I must be the only person to buy 2 lemon computers in a row! :stars:

I have been playing around trying to fix it but no luck. Today I did figure out that the curser works in Safe Mode so I finally got online but the screen is HUGE and it is a pain in the behind to look at. :thumbdown:

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 01:08:44 AM »
I have been playing around trying to fix it but no luck. Today I did figure out that the curser works in Safe Mode so I finally got online but the screen is HUGE and it is a pain in the behind to look at. :thumbdown:

First of all, well done on getting into Safe Mode! You just proved there is very little wrong with it.

Safe Mode is only for diagnosing problems, so it doesn't load anything non-essential. That includes the screen quality, hence why it looks so awful. It also shows it hasn't loaded whatever is causing the problem.

Have you installed anything recently, Kathy? If you can think of something you changed before the cursor locked, maybe that caused it.

Also, did you say it was laptop? Sometimes there is a button above the mouse pad that locks the pointer. Load up Windows as normal, then try pushing every button you can that looks unusual!  ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
Sometimes there is a button above the mouse pad that locks the pointer. Load up Windows as normal, then try pushing every button you can that looks unusual!  ;)

Oops :-[ :whistle:

lyonsden5

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 08:27:40 PM »
Sometimes there is a button above the mouse pad that locks the pointer. Load up Windows as normal, then try pushing every button you can that looks unusual!  ;)

Oops :-[ :whistle:
:laugh: 2 points for admitting that in an open forum.

Touti

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 08:39:37 PM »

I gave her 3.

A new Laptop: 500$
A new internet connection: 20$/mth
Admitting you turned off your mouse in a forum: Priceless

;)

Najemikon

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »

I gave her 3.

A new Laptop: 500$
A new internet connection: 20$/mth
Admitting you turned off your mouse in a forum: Priceless

;)

:laugh:

Bless you, Kathy. But I have to say your local tech support is a bit rubbish if they promised you a replacement without checking that... :shrug: