Author Topic: Facebook, MySpace, Twitter  (Read 20555 times)

MEJHarrison

Re: Facebook, MySpace, Twitter
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »
So I just added who I could find...

Please note that "ya_shin" is someone else on Twitter, my username is "nuoyaxin"!

Yeah, that really threw me.  Took forever to find you in my huge list of 19 people. :hysterical:

I added a bunch today.  Still prefer Facebook.  I tend to be too verbose and something that Twitter limit is just too limiting. But I'm trying.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
I still don't understand the appeal of Twitter it's lazy writting... no offense intended :whistle:

I just imagine writing message like those if I would have an account:

17-01-2010 : Nothing exiting to say but I light a cigarette my second of the day.
17-01-2010 : I just find a spider web in my house.
17-01-2010 : Those spiders are sure hard to find... 5 hours research and haven't find any yet.
17-01-2010 : Can't sleep because of the spiders
19-01-2010 : Back from a 2 days stay at a friend house
19-01-2010 : Just find three other spider web.
20-01-2010 : Enough is enough I call an exterminator
20-01-2010 : I'm angry he had laught at me and call me a baby
20-01-2010 : I've an idea
21-01-2010 : No house anymore... set it on fire to kill the spiders
23-01-2010 : It's worst in the street... this is full of spiders.

Sound quite boring to me :shrug:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:29 AM »
I haven't written anything but a lot of the posts make me laugh...like yours just did! :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:52 AM »
I still don't understand the appeal of Twitter it's lazy writting... no offense intended :whistle:

[...]

Of course there's that.

It really depends. Twitter has been known to quickly provide news and information, too. People use it to communicate casually, almost like an IM, without the need to be directly connected with an IM program. If you feel you have nothing you'd want to say there, then don't. Like me. :laugh: I just read stuff, like gaming news... ;)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »

For me, it's more a short news service. For example: http://twitter.com/EWAusielloFiles

I also follow a number of german news sites and like Ausiello it's often a short text with a link to a longer text

And I use it as a discrete pop-up-able plugin ("Echofon") in my browser, so that I don't have to got to the Twitter page:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:59:04 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

snowcat

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
I agree with Karsten, not only is it a great news service... its also quite interesting I follow a few musicians and directors and they often give news about new albums and tours out.... some even give competitions! :)

Najemikon

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2010, 06:46:25 PM »

17-01-2010 : Nothing exiting to say but I light a cigarette my second of the day.
17-01-2010 : I just find a spider web in my house.
17-01-2010 : Those spiders are sure hard to find... 5 hours research and haven't find any yet.
17-01-2010 : Can't sleep because of the spiders
19-01-2010 : Back from a 2 days stay at a friend house
19-01-2010 : Just find three other spider web.
20-01-2010 : Enough is enough I call an exterminator
20-01-2010 : I'm angry he had laught at me and call me a baby
20-01-2010 : I've an idea
21-01-2010 : No house anymore... set it on fire to kill the spiders
23-01-2010 : It's worst in the street... this is full of spiders.

Just follow Kevin Smith for a day. He tends to spam as I think Achim mentioned before, but some of his posts are jaw-dropping. He is very open... make that too open(!)... about his sexy time with Mrs. Smith. And I think he sees it as a challenge to out-shock people who send him messages. I'm going to have to stop following him!

Then there's Stephen Fry who is in temporary retirement while he concentrates on work, but he could make very good use of a small sentence.

snowcat

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »
¬_¬ Jon... Kevin Smith is bad.... often I wake up and every post I have is from him!

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2010, 07:25:08 PM »
I stopped following Kevin Smith because of his huge output and because it isn't that imnteresting if you ask me.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »
I stopped following Kevin Smith because of his huge output and because it isn't that imnteresting if you ask me.

He certainly had a phase of being interesting, but he just rattles on too much answering the same questions. That normally revolve around... erm. Well, I bet Emma knows! ;)

snowcat

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
..there is one thing to say about Kevin Smith... He talks to his followers... most of his tweets are responses to people questions :p

MEJHarrison

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
Now I have to check out Kevin Smith. :laugh:

I've actually gotten free MP3 downloads from bands exclusive to their Twitter followers.  Seen offers to get tickets to shows before the general public.  Learned about updates to game.  And the list goes on.  I see it as personalized news that I can read through in a couple minutes.  And from time to time and friend will post something interesting.

When it comes to communicating with friends, I'm finding Facebook to be the perfect medium for me.  You can post a bit more than you can on Twitter.  But you're still limited, so you can't go on and on and on.  And since it's indirect communication, I'm free to read it and chuckle or respond or just skip it entirely.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:56 PM »
Now I have to check out Kevin Smith. :laugh:

I just added him! :laugh:

m.cellophane

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2010, 04:05:02 AM »
I think I'm up to date on following the tweets of who's here...and accepting their requests to follow me (took me a while to realize that both directions had to be pursued  :bag: )...as well as friending those on Facebook.  :training:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2010, 10:37:28 AM »
Similar to what Mark said above I prefer Facebook myself as well.

BUT

I am beginnning to get annoyed by my News stream gettring clogged by other people's progress in Zoo/Farmville/Fishville or whatever (games). So, my question to you: I know how to stop application I use myself to post on my (and therefore other's) wall. But I can't find out how to stop posts certain applications used by others on my wall? Obviously I don't want to delete half my friends, but when 90 of 100 posts are merely for progress in a certain game then something is wrong and the proper information cannot find its way to the wall anymore  :(