Poll

Will I Make 92 Days without watching any horror?

What are you smokin?... There is no way!
4 (26.7%)
I Have  Faith!... You will make it!
11 (73.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Will I Make It?  (Read 47319 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Will I Make It?
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2009, 05:12:29 PM »
I didn't even watch yet the Space 99 set that I've bought from Eric last year :whistle:

And I just passed on a very generous offer by DJ Doena, because I had to realize that I wouldn't have the time to go again through 5 seasons of Babylon 5, even if I wanted to.

I'm just not a collector person, I suppose. Which is kinda funny, because I have a ridiculous large collection of books. But mostly that has been built twenty, thirty years ago. At that time I was living in East Germany and like many other things, books were actually a limited resource. If you didn't get them the day they were published, you weren't able to get them at all.

So the unlimited availability makes the entire collector thing kinda pointless to me. There is no reason to get a DVD if you don't want to watch it, because you can get it anytime. I'm not sure how much that applies to your area of interest; maybe some of the more obscure titles do vanish soon after publication. But that doesn't apply to the stuff I'm interested in, and I'm not exactly a mainstream guy either.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »
I'm absolutely with Matthias here. Why buy something you don't like, or complete collections for the sake of it? I've sold as many dvds as i've bought recently! There isn't enough time to watch them, as you say.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »
Never said that I bought films I don't like ;)
You have to be in the right mood to watch something sometimes and if a movie subject is particullar this waiting time can be long. Just try to get in a good mood for watching The Wedding Through, I can tell you one thing that will be long (I've paid 20 $US for this because it's weird, but it's certainly one of the boring film I own). For me "bad and cheap" don't mean waste of time, a lot of those productions are fun to watch.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
Never said that I bought films I don't like ;)
You have to be in the right mood to watch something sometimes and if a movie subject is particullar this waiting time can be long. Just try to get in a good mood for watching The Wedding Through, I can tell you one thing that will be long (I've paid 20 $US for this because it's weird, but it's certainly one of the boring film I own). For me "bad and cheap" don't mean waste of time, a lot of those productions are fun to watch.

Right.  I don't buy ones that I know for sure I don't like.  In fact, most of what I get are movies that seen and enjoyed previously.  I do make exceptions every so often...like with the one Hitchcock set I got earlier this year.  I don't really have the urge to buy scads of DVDs just to have them.  I honestly want to watch the ones I get....it just sometimes takes me a while to get to them.  And like Jimmy said, I have to be in the right mood for some movies.  Even with Hitchcock movies and I tend to like those..I need to be in the mood for that type of movie.  Other times I'm in the mood for a comedy...or action...or animated.  Or I might in the mood to watch The Big Bang Theory season 1 for the 4th time ..something that just happened.  :laugh:

I do end up splurging at times to get more DVDs when I find some on sale sometimes.  Though I won't buy something just to buy something in those cases.  Like I frequently dig through the $5 bin at Walmart, but lately, I haven't been finding much I'm interested in that I don't already own.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
Destination Earth : Alien Invaders

Just realized sooner that it's a trailer compilation (even if it's cheap, I can have this for free) so I've cancel it and replace it with another 50 movies set. The films don't look very good but for ,50$ each it isn't that important and we never know maybe I will find something good in it.

Do you know any of these film Pete?
Bimbos BC 1.0/10
Puppet Show 1.9/10
Amped 6.2/10
Brainiac 3.7/10
Kill Syndrome (nothing on imdb)
Darkness 4.8/10 (not sure of it, but this one isn't the 2002 one with Anna Paquin)
Branded No score (not sure if it's the good one)
Hell's Threshold 2.6/10
The Innocent 3.4/10
Dead Teenagers 5.0/10
Blood Stained Bride 2.9/10
Curse of the Pirate Death 2.2/10 (By the writter of Lizzie Borden :yucky:)
Super-Hell 2 (nothing on imdb)
Immortal 5.0/10 (not sure if it's the good one)
Home Made 1.8/10
A Bothered Conscience 4.2/10
Knight Chills 3.7/10
The Expedition 4.8/10
Black Ribbon 2.5/10
The Vampire Conspiracy 4.4/10
Into Thy Hands 1.9/10
Cadaverella 3.2/10
Drawing Blood 3.9/10
Silent Bloodnight 3.0/10
Sickness House 2.8/10
Mrs. Amworth No score
Fear of the Dark 5.4/10
Killer Story 2.8/10
Curse of the Wolf 3.3/10
Feral 2.7/10
Nutcracker 3.7/10
Pony Trouble 3.8/10
Sabbath 2.9/10
The Slasher 3.7/10
Vampire Whores From Outer Space 3.4/10
Apocalypse Rising No score
Dark Places 4.2/10 (not sure if it's the good one)
Alucard 3.5/10
Abe's Tomb 3.6/10
Blood Bound 4.0/10
I Dream of Dracula 2.1/10
Dark Light No score (probably not the good one)
A Vampire's Tale (nothing on imdb)
The Great American Snuff Film 3.9/10
Fist of the Vampire 3.3/10
Super-Hell (nothing on imdb)
Creepy Clips 4.5/10
Planet Blood (nothing on imdb)
Sinners (not a single film listed on imdb seems to fit with the kind present in this set)
This Darkness 3.0/10

Some of these titles sound incredibly stupid :hysterical:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:46:36 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
That's a shame, Jimmy. I thought it looked liked this one I just ordered:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3356766/Classic-Sci-Fi-Box-Set/Product.html

I ordered it while they were having a bargain day for just £8.99... :yahoo:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Sometime I like to watch some 50's science fiction and it was looking like a nice boxset of public domain movies. But after some research I've found that it's only the movie trailer, something fun to watch also but like I've said I can get this free on YouTube. Since it was for the marathon it doesn't work anymore, so enter the other boxset who doesn't look like something to treasure (relativelly new movie on this kind of set doesn't shout "all time best" :laugh:)

BTW Jon are you in the processus of getting some films for october also? Hope that you will do the marathon again this year, your reviews are always a great reading :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:56:31 PM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2009, 06:43:58 PM »
That is a heck of a list Jimmy... but afraid I won't be much help to you this time. The only one there I even heard of is Darkness... I have it in one of my sets... but unfortunately it is still on my Unwatched pile. Sorry I couldn't help some! But hey... you will be able to let me know next month!  ;D
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »
For the fun of it and because I've no life I've checked on imdb for the films included (when an entry exist). I've updated the previous post with the link and the score for each of them. Some had an interesting synopsis, but it looks a lot like we will have a new movie to replace The Sorority as the worst movie ever made :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
 :laugh: I am not sure that is possible! And if it is don't want to see it!  :P

Funny.. my niece was over the other day with her kids (she just had a baby girl!  ;D) and she was telling me how they had to cut off their cable. So I was nice enough to give them some of the DVDs I didn't want any longer. I handed her a pile of dvds to look through... had The Sorority in the mix. But no... she just had to ask me how it was. I didn't have the heart to lie to her... so The Sorority is still sitting on my shelf!

And No Jimmy! The Sorority will NOT be part of my marathon this year... 2 times is 2 times too many!!!!!!!!!!  :tease:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
Don't worry I won't ask you that :whistle:
One time was enough for me, so imagine 3 :rip:

and you already have the April fool's day remake to watch :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
 :laugh: Well come on... April Fools Day remake has to be better then The Sorority at least!... right?... I hope!  :stars:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
Probably not ;)
At least it's a studio production (even if it didn't get a theatrical release, not a good sign)

and if it's really bad just watch Scout Taylor-Compton that you surely remember as the girl who play the fairy in Charmed.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
Very true... and of course I remember Scout Taylor-Compton! :)
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2009, 06:58:46 AM »
For the fun of it and because I've no life I've checked on imdb for the films included (when an entry exist). I've updated the previous post with the link and the score for each of them. Some had an interesting synopsis, but it looks a lot like we will have a new movie to replace The Sorority as the worst movie ever made :laugh:
:o
There is one with a 6.2 and the rest is 5.0 and below!

I need a new tab in DVD Profiler, next to the Wish List: "To Avoid"