Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151521 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #540 on: March 26, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
OK... back to the large package from the first friend...

Bart Got a Room
Nerdy high school senior Danny has spent six hundred bucks on the hotel room, the limo and the tux for his prom. He's only missing one thing - the girl. Hampered by well intentioned but clueless advice from his newly divorced parents and unsympathetic mocking from his best friends, Danny battles peer pressure, teen angst and his own raging hormones as he desperately searches for a prom date. Danny's luckless quest turns to panic when he learns that even Bart - the school's biggest dweeb - has secured not only a date but also a hotel room for the night.
Confetti
Say "I do" to this hilarious "mockumentary" about a trio of wacky couples who vow to win the coveted title of "Most Original Wedding of the Year." The dueling duos include the tuneless Matt (Martin Freeman) and Sam (Jessica Stevenson) whose unfortunate wedding theme is Hollywood musicals; the hypercompetitive tennis partners Josef (Steven Mangan) and Isabelle (Meredith MacNeill), and the outrageously uninhibited nudists Michael (Robert Webb) and Joanna (Olivia Colman). At stake is a million-dollar dream home, but can love survive in the midst of unbridled prenuptial chaos? Featuring a talented cast and three alternate endings that let YOU choose the winner, 'CONFETTI' will "keep you laughing from start to finish" ('Empire').
2 Brothers & a bride: A Foreign Affair
Two brothers need a wife after the death of their doting mother and decide that a Russian woman will best meet their needs. They learn about the realities of life and love on this romp into mail-order bride land. This heartwarming and entertaining film uses an actual tour party (www.aforeignaffair.com) and features genuine clients and "potential wives". Its sweet, funny and oddly touching throughout.
America's Sweethearts
Gwen (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and Eddie (John Cusack) are AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS—the country's favorite couple, on-screen and off. But when their very public romance turns into a very private breakup, only veteran press agent Lee (Billy Crystal) and Gwen's assistant Kiki (Julia Roberts) can help Gwen and Eddie show some love while they promote their last film together. But the press junket is in a resort hotel miles from anywhere, and while Lee and Kiki frantically try to keep the media away from the real story—and keep Gwen and Eddie from revealing their secret—Kiki finds something entirely unexpected in this romantic comedy about true love, happily ever after and other Hollywood endings.
Boynton Beach Club
An elderly couple finds love in an unexpected place in THE BOYNTON BEACH CLUB. That place is a club in Florida, which has been set up for people trying to cope with the loss of a loved one.
In the Valley of Elah
Mike Deerfield returns to the U.S. after his tour of duty in Iraq in abruptly goes missing. His father Hank (Tommy Lee Jones), a spit-and-polish ex-MP from the Vietnam era, goes looking for him. What he finds goes to the heart of American combat experiences in the Iraqi conflict.

Academy Award®-winning* Crash filmmaker Paul Haggis teams with Oscar®-winning* actors Jones, Charlize Theron and Susan Sarandon in a probing and powerful look at a nation and the young soldiers it sends into battle. Hank's quest lays bare a tangled web of cover-up, murder, mystery and profound revelation about the personal costs of war.

*Haggis: Best Picture (Producer) and Original Screenplay (with Bobby Moresco) for Crash (2005). Jones: Best Supporting Actor for The Fugitive (1993). Theron: Best Actress for Monster (2003). Sarandon: Best Actress for Dead Man Walking (1995).
Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie
Hilarious stuff here, friends and neighbors. And the laughs aren't just aimed at folks who think Caddyshack is where ma and pa park the car. 'Cause the little secret behind the #1 comedy concert of the past two years is that its topics - marriage, kids, traveling - are so universal. And so wackily warped when seen through the perspective of standout stand-ups Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy.

This concert movie captures the fellas on stage as well as during off hours. So hunker down and catch each of the comics in a solo bit. Then see them in a kind of 4-man comedy jam. Jeff's "redneck" riffs, Bill's "Here's Your Sign," Ron's bad-boy tales, Larry's bumpkin yarns - they're all here. And all gall-durn funny!
Without a Paddle
Seth Green, Matthew Lillard and Dax Shepard star in this offbeat comedy as childhood friends whose lives have drifted apart but must reunite following the sudden death of a fourth friend.

The trio finds out that he was hot on the trail of the $200,000 that vanished with real-life airplane hijacker D.B. Cooper in 1971. After discovering a map left behind, they decide to follow its course to claim the loot. They soon run into a few things that their friend hadn't planned on, including backwoods pot farmers with itchy trigger fingers, beautiful tree-living hippies and a bear with maternal instincts that knows no bounds!

Also starring a hilarious Burt Reynolds, Without A Paddle proves that it's better to be down a river than up a creek.
2 Days
Paul Miller (Paul Rudd - “Friends,” “The Cider House Rules”) has struggled as an actor in Hollywood for years, and now he's had enough. But not just of show business - life. In two days, he's going to kill himself. But in true Hollywood style, he's hired a film crew to chronicle his last moments and the events leading up to them; it's the role of a lifetime.

Often ironic and darkly comical, this is the story of a man searching for meaning and hope. This is the story of two days in the life of Paul Miller. The only question is, will they be his last?
Diggers
A funny, heartfelt story about a tightly-knit group of friends, who try to maintain their small-town way of life in the face of enormous changes in 1970s Long Island.

Hunt (Paul Rudd) and his best friends Frankie Lozo (Ken Marino), Cons (Josh Hamilton) and Jack (Ron Eldard) are hard-living clam diggers whose livelihoods are threatened by an encroaching corporation, forcing them to consider new directions in life.
The Great Buck Howard
Buck Howard (John Malkovich), a mentalist extraordinaire! Nowadays,  It's clear to everyone Except Buck that his act has lost its luster. Convinced his comeback is imminent, Buck needs a new road manager and personal assistant. Recent law school drop-out and would-be writer Troy Gable (Colin Hanks) needs a job and a purpose. Working for the pompous, has-been mentalist fills the former requirement, but how it satisfies the latter is questionable. Nonetheless, with the aid of a fiery publicist (Emily Blunt) and a bold stroke of luck, Buck lands back in the American consciousness, taking Troy along for the ride.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2011, 04:06:23 PM »
Here is what has been confirmed as correct in the little guessing game...

Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe
In a far away galaxy, a legion of supermen has been developed to police the universe. These men have been altered with radiation and ozone layering to become virtually invincible. They are known as 'finders', and they have all taken a sacred vow of protection to defend all life and to put no relationship before their obligation as 'finders'. 'Finders' see too mujch; they live too long. Occasionally one goes renegade. Before they can multiply, they must be destroyed and only one man has the power to destroy them... ABRAXAS!
Benji: The Ultimate 4-Movie Collection
Benji:
The colorful canine made his first appearance in this "shaggy dog story" of a stray who helps police and parents track two kidnapped children-winning himself a real home!

Benji Off the Leach:
Lost and alone on the streets of a small Mississippi town, Benji struggles to save his mom from a backyard puppy mill, avoiding two dopey dogcatchers...and an unwanted sidekick.

For the Love of Benji:
While en route to a vacation in Greece with his family. a passenger "borrows"  Benji for just lone enough to tattoo a mysterious message on his paw. Separated from the family in Athens, Benji finds himself on the run from an assortment of international spies searching for the message in another exciting Benji adventure.

Benji's Very Own Christmas Story:
In this 1978 special, nominated for an Emmy as Outstanding Children's Program, Benji encounters Kris Kringle, played by Best Actor Oscar® niminee Ron Moody (Oliver).

Note: I do not get UPC codes from this friend so the one for Abraxas could be a different release... there  are many in the database and so I just picked the first one. :P
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
With all these friends sending Pete presents I have visions of him hunched over the computer cackling in glee. :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
I think from those clues you might be getting Pan's Labyrinth, Leon and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. See if you can match up the clues! Awesome selection if so.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
I tell you what... I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! I sent on the guesses Jon... Thanks!

Another selection from the first friend again...

The Open Road
In this heartwarming comedy, minor leaguer Carlton Garrett (Justin Timberlake) must track down his estranged father, legendary pro-athlete Kyle Garrett (Jeff Bridges), when Carlton's mother (May Steenburgen) becomes sick. Knowing his father's likelihood to disappoint, Carlton enlists his ex-girlfriend Lucy (Kate Mara) for emotional support.  Years of miscommunication, frustration and comically awkward attempts at bonding come to a head as the mismatched trio make their way home from Ohio back to Houston to reunite their family.
The Mother
From the critically-acclaimed director of Notting Hill and the Academy Award®-nominated writer of My Beautiful Launderette (1987, Best Writer) comes a sensual tale of lust, jealousy and self-discovery.

After her husband dies, May (Anne Reid), a shy suburban housewife, moves to London to be near her grown children and their families. Quite unexpectedly, she becomes attracted to Darren (Daniel Craig, Tomb Raider), a handsome carpenter half her age who's currently having an affair with her daughter. After Darren returns her advances, the two embark on a forbidden affair that threatens to destroy May's family in this powerful film which proves that with great passion comes a great price.
Goodbye Lover
The building was very tall. The time it took to fall from it was very, very short. Goodbye Lover. Hello to the feverish scramble to latch onto the millions the victim left behind.

Mystery combines with backstabbing humor and chic style melds with neo-noir attitude when Roland Joffe ("The Killing Fields", "The Mission") directs this glossy plunge into La-La-Land glitz and murder. Just follow the trail of a stiletto-heeled sexual adventuress (Patricia Arquette). Stay on the case with a wisecracking detective (Ellen DeGeneres). And keep your eyes on the rest of a gifted ensemble (including Don Johnson, Ray McKinnon, Dermot Mulroney and Mary-Louise Parker). Don’t miss a single devilish moment.
The Big Tease
If you've got it, flaunt it. Or in the case of Scottish hairdresser Crawford Mackenzie, snip, curl, tint, shape and blow-dry it. Mackenzie's come from Glasgow to Los Angeles -- with a documentary filmmaker in tow recording his journey -- to compete in a stylists' competition for the prestigious Platinum Scissors Award. But the best-laid schemes of mousse and men go wrong: Mackenzie's invitation to the event is in error.

'The Big Tease' is big fun, a fish-out-of-water tale teeming with charm and a hilariously satiric view of life in L.A. Craig Ferguson heads a vibrant cast as Mackenzie, the licensed-to-style hero determined to enter the contest and create a hairdo to claim those coveted shears. It's a case of 'do. Or dye.
Fay Grim
FAY GRIM (Parker Posey) is afraid her son Ned (Liam Aiken) will turn out like his father, Henry, who has been a fugitive for seven years. Fay’s brother, Simon, is serving a prison sentence for helping Henry escape the country. Adding to her trials, Fay is approached by a CIA agent (Jeff Goldblum) to help find Henry’s missing notebooks in exchange for Simon’s freedom. The mission escalates into a global con-game that plunges Fay deep into the deadly politics of espionage.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »
I think from those clues you might be getting Pan's Labyrinth, Leon and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. See if you can match up the clues! Awesome selection if so.

Thank You Jon! You were right on all 3... I now know I am getting...

I wasn't able to figure out Leon in profiler to download the profile for it.... so will get it in when it arrives (package has already shipped)... but other then that I am getting...

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Game on! Scott Pilgrim just met the girl of his dreams...literally. But in order for them to date, he must defeat her seven evil exes – a rogues' gallery, including an infamous skateboarder, a vegan rock star and fearsome indentical twins! From the genre-smashing director of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead comes "a true original" (Entertainment Weekly) powered up by wit, action and groundbreaking visuals that you will want to watch again as soon as it's over!
Sci-Fi Serials: The Ultimate Collection
Flash Gordon
Radar Men from the Moon
Phantom Empire
The Lost City
Undersea Kingdom
The Phantom Creeps
Pan's Labyrinth
From acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro (Blade II, Hellboy) comes "one of the most exciting and visually impressive adult-audience fables since The Lord of the Rings movies" (Richard Roeper, Ebert & Roeper).  Following a bloody civil war, young Ofelia enters a world of unimaginable cruelty when she moves in with her new stepfather, a tyrannical military officer.  Armed only with her imagination, Ofelia discovers a mysterious labyrinth and meets a faun who sets her on a path to saving herself and her ailing mother.  Soon, the line between fantasy and reality begins to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil.
Bloodthirsty Butchers/The Rats are  Coming! The Werewolves are Here!

I wasn't told if it was the 1 or 2 disc version of Pan's Labyrinth... so went with the 1 disc for now.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
Hopefully you won't be put off by the subtitles on Pan's Labyrinth. Suffice to say, it is one of the most wonderful films released in the last few years and gets a lot of deserved love on this forum. As do Leon and Scott. All terrific.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
is Leon that I am looking for Léon the Professional?... or is there something else that I should be looking for.

Excuse my ignorance... I am not familiar with the movie.
Pete

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 26, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »
is Leon that I am looking for Léon the Professional?... or is there something else that I should be looking for.

Excuse my ignorance... I am not familiar with the movie.

Simple answer Yes to the Professional - this is the one I have

Léon: The Professional

but many do just refer to it as Léon

ETA: Léon is the original French title, Leon is the UK title, Leon: The Professional or sometimes Léon: The Professional is the US title. There are other title variants but mainly down to translations.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:42:25 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 26, 2011, 07:40:42 PM »

Bloodthirsty Butchers/The Rats are  Coming! The Werewolves are Here!
I'm jalous of this :(
2 Great Andy Milligan's films :thumbup:

In case you don't like them and want to get rid of them try to think at me for a trade :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 26, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
Thank You Dave... and I will keep that in mind Jimmy! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 26, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
Got it in my profiler now... Thanks again Dave. :)

Léon: The Professional
Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman and Danny Aiello star in LÉON, a go-for-broke thriller about a professional assassin whose work becomes dangerously personal.

Calling himself a "cleaner" the mysterious Léon is New York's top hitman. When the next-door neighbours are murdered, Léon becomes the unwilling guardian of the family's sole survivor — 12-year-old Mathilda. But Mathilda doesn't just want protection; she wants revenge. Training her in the deadly tricks of his trade, LÉON helps her track the psychotic agent who murdered her family. From the electrifying opening to the fatal finale, LÉON is a non-stop crescendo of action, suspense and surprises. This uncut version contains 24 minutes of extra footage deemed too explicit for the American audience.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #552 on: March 26, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
Didn't Pan's Labyrinth win the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film?  I know it was at least nominated in that category.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 26, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »
Roger...
According to wikipedia it got...

Academy Awards

Winner

* Best Art Direction
        * Best Cinematography
        * Best Makeup

Nominated

* Best Original Score
        * Best Original Screenplay
        * Best Foreign Language Film

So apparently it didn't win the best foreign language film... but was nominated for it.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #554 on: March 26, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
So apparently it didn't win the best foreign language film... but was nominated for it.

It got the BAFTA that year, but the other big foreign film that year was The Lives Of Others. Tough choice and a more interesting one than the Best Film category which largely became a sympathy award for the often over-looked Martin Scorcese. His The Departed is great, but not in the same league as those two foreign films.