Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151510 times)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
Fay Grim
FAY GRIM (Parker Posey) is afraid her son Ned (Liam Aiken) will turn out like his father, Henry, who has been a fugitive for seven years. Fay’s brother, Simon, is serving a prison sentence for helping Henry escape the country. Adding to her trials, Fay is approached by a CIA agent (Jeff Goldblum) to help find Henry’s missing notebooks in exchange for Simon’s freedom. The mission escalates into a global con-game that plunges Fay deep into the deadly politics of espionage.

Hey, someone got a Hal Hartley film.  :yahoo: This is actually a sequel to Henry Fool, but it works well enough on its own.
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »
I'll look forward to checking it out.

Well... for the remaining titles in the boxes she gave an additional clue. Maybe someone here can help me more with the new clues...

"one is a monster movie from 2007 (or at least that's what I'd call it)"
- was made in Korea

" one is an anime based on a video game"
- completely CGI

"one involves a plot to kill someone to make $$ on their posterity"
- the title refers to a completely separate film directed by Sam Peckinpah

"one is set during the Mexican-American War"
- it involves Irishmen

"one is based on a novel by Ethan Hawke"
- he's also in it

"one is a lesson to never touch dirty money"
- the title is also a common name for a member of the Amaranthus family

"one is a rom-com made from a play and stars the original cast"
- if you added two words onto the title, you'd get the title of a book by H. G. Wells

"there is another low-budget horror as well, but it's from 2008 and is based on a comic book series"
- part of the title is a location that would describe what I live in

"disaster film, 1 that I think actually made it to theatres*.  That one involves a bomb as the solution to the disaster."
- one word title is included in the title of the first medley to hold the #1 position on Billboard Hot 100.

"one of the 2-movie releases is likely musical in parts and involves a talented palomino"
- that remaining 2-movie release includes a movie with the name of one of the stars in the title

and, finally

"TV episode release is from a show on TLC, and you wouldn't want those people in your house"
- part of the title for the 2-episode TV release was the catch phrase of the men on film duo on "In Living Color"
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #572 on: March 27, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
Just wanted to say that Bite The Bullet is a great little film. Like a more serious Cannonball Run on horseback.

As to the clues, definitely The Host and the Final Fantasy movie, whose exact title escapes me at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:35:48 PM by Jon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 27, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »
Thanks Jon... Which clue is The Host for? And are you talking about Final Fantasy: The Spirit With? or is there another one? I wondering because I already have that one... though I am not sure if she checked my online listing first.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #574 on: March 27, 2011, 01:23:15 PM »
That's the one! Spirits Within. And The Host is the Korean monster movie in the first clue.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 27, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
Thanks... will send in both guesses and see. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
This is the one that is bugging me right now... but the extra clue is not one that would help me at all. :P

"disaster film, 1 that I think actually made it to theatres*.  That one involves a bomb as the solution to the disaster."
- one word title is included in the title of the first medley to hold the #1 position on Billboard Hot 100.
Pete

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2011, 04:03:59 PM »
... And are you talking about Final Fantasy: The Spirit With? or is there another one? ...

Yes there is another one - Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 27, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
These guesses were WRONG! :P
The Host
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Resident Evil: Degeneration (guessed @ Invelos)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »
... And are you talking about Final Fantasy: The Spirit With? or is there another one? ...

Yes there is another one - Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Thanks... will send in that as a guess. :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 27, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Clue:
" one is an anime based on a video game"
- completely CGI

Answer:
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Continuing the storyline based on the hit PlayStation game 'FINAL FANTASY VII', two years have passed and the ruins of Midgar stand as a testament to the sacrifices made in order to bring peace. However, the world will soon face a new menace. A mysterious illness is spreading fast. Old enemies are astir. And Cloud, who walked away from the life of a hero to live in solitude, must step forward yet again...

Clue:
"one is based on a novel by Ethan Hawke"
- he's also in it

Answer:
The Hottest State
Young love has rarely been as exhilarating--and as painful--as it is in Ethan Hawke’s THE HOTTEST STATE. The Oscar-nominated actor adapts his own novel for the screen in this romance set in New York City. When 20-year-old William (Mark Webber, BROKEN FLOWERS) meets Sara (Catalina Sandino Moreno) at a bar in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood, he falls fast and hard. He’s an actor while she’s struggling to be a singer, and their creative, nervous personalities make them a combustible couple. From their playful acting-out of their future break-up to the pain of the event when it actually occurs, their relationship is a series of highs and lows familiar to anyone who’s felt the emotions of 20-something romance.

"one of the 2-movie releases is likely musical in parts and involves a talented palomino"
- that remaining 2-movie release includes a movie with the name of one of the stars in the title

Roy Rogers in Under California Stars and My Pal Trigger
Oddly this one is not in the database... and I can not find any info on it online... short of a short mention on Amazon HERE.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
Clue:
"one is a monster movie from 2007 (or at least that's what I'd call it)"
- was made in Korea

Answer:
Dragon Wars: D-War
Meet Buraki, the vicious, 200-meter-long Imoogi serpent from ancient Korea. His army includes giant lizards with missile launchers, flying dragons, soldiers bred for evil and mega-intelligent dinosaurs. Together, they will destroy our cities unless reincarnated warriors Ethan and Sarah can outrun them and resurrect the Good Imoogi, Buraki's ancient nemesis. DRAGON WARS reveals every last detail of Earth's greatest battle—a war you'll only believe when you see it for yourself.

Clue:

Answer:
Sunshine
You've NEVER SEEN anything like SUNSHINE, the stunningly ORIGINAL SCI-FI ACTION-ADVENTURE from groundbreaking DIRECTOR DANNY BOYLE (28 Days Later).

It is the year 2057, the sun is dying and mankind faces extinction. Earth's last hope rests with a courageous crew of eight men and women on a mission to ignite the fading star with a massive nuclear weapon. Deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission begins to unravel and they find themselves fighting not only for their lives, but for the future of us all.  With twists and turns you won't see coming, this pulse-pounding journey to the sun is a nonstop thrill ride.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 27, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »
OK... if I am not mistaken... here is what I have left of the Clues.... Any help with these would be appreciated!  :thumbup:

"one is set during the Mexican-American War"
- it involves Irishmen

- if you added two words onto the title, you'd get the title of a book by H. G. Wells

"there is another low-budget horror as well, but it's from 2008 and is based on a comic book series"

"TV episode release is from a show on TLC, and you wouldn't want those people in your house"
- part of the title for the 2-episode TV release was the catch phrase of the men on film duo on "In Living Color"
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »
Clue:
- the title of the film is only 2 words different from the title of the Peckinpah film it references

Answer:
Bring Me The Head Of Mavis Davis
She is beautiful, sexy and blessed with the voice of an angel - she is Marla Dorland, a legend in her own time. But when her agent Marty Starr finds his agency in trouble he concocts a sinister plot to bring up record sales. Amazed at the posthumous record sales of Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon and Kurt Cobain, Starr becomes determined to arrange a similar fate for Marla, staging the perfect tragic demise. But he didn't count on Marla not being quite ready to go...

Clue:
- has a cover that is mostly green, and given the cover I think it's a zombie flick

Answer:
Trailer Park of Terror
Six troubled high school students and their chaperone are returning from a retreat when their bus crashes, stranding them in the middle of trailer park hell – literally. Without warning, hillbilly zombies looking for fun begin slaughtering the teens in gruesome fashion. With a rockin' Southern-fried soundtrack, top-notch special effects and a devilish sense of humor, Trailer Park of Terror (based on the Imperium comic book series) is nasty fun for the hardcore horror fan.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 27, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »
Seems like we got them all but these final 3... can we finish it off?

Pete