Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151526 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #555 on: March 26, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
Clue:
- 50 set comes in a cardboard box and I've heard of the stars but not the movies (people like Yul Brynner, Lloyd Bridges, Ann Sheridan, Raymond Burr, etc.)

Does anyone here know of any company other then Mill Creek that puts out 50 movie boxsets? Because I was told it is not a Mill Creek release.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »
Clue:
- one is from the same writer as The Squid and the Whale

Answer:
Margot at the Wedding
From Academy Awards®– nominated* writer/director Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale) comes a daringly funny and bracingly honest exploration of the tender, absurd and sometimes excruciating relationship between siblings. "Played with an uncompromising fearlessness"** by Academy Awards® winner† Nicole Kidman and Golden Globe nominee‡ Jennifer Jason Leigh, this nakedly honest film lays bare all aspects of the human comedy. Margot (NICOLE KIDMAN), a savagely bright, razor-tongued short-story writer who creates chaos wherever she goes, sets off on a surprise journey to the wedding of her estranged and free-spirited sister Pauline (JENNIFER JASON LEIGH). Margot, with her son Claude (ZANE PAIS) in tow, arrives with the force of a hurricane. From the minute she meets Pauline's fiancé – the unemployed artist Malcolm (JACK BLACK) – Margot starts to plant seeds of doubt about the union. What ensues is a "frequently brilliant, squirm-inducingly funny"+ film.

* Best Original Screenplay, The Squid and the Whale, 2005
** Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
† Best Actress, The Hours, 2002
‡ Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama, Mrs. Parker and the Viscious Circle, 1994
+ A.O. Scott, The New York Times

Clue:
- one is a western from the year I was born & nominated for 2 Oscars

Seems I was confused on this one. It apparently was released the year she was born... but got nominated the following year... so I just sent in a guess for...

Bite the Bullet

Waiting for conformation now.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 26, 2011, 10:31:59 PM »
Does anyone here know of any company other then Mill Creek that puts out 50 movie boxsets?
Maybe Brentwood since they released some "PD" set but no idea of the numbers of film.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:59 PM »
Someone at Invelos may have given me the answer for that one... but I must say... I won't expect much quality wise... 50 classics on 4 DVDs. Though they could be shorts or TV episodes or something.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 26, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
 :o Even if they are double side this is 6 movies by side... Be ready for bad transfer time :laugh:

At 3 movies a disc the regular Mill Creek 50 movies set is poor imagine two time that :-\

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 26, 2011, 11:13:31 PM »
true.. but as I said... I am hope there is at least a good number of shorts and/or TV episodes. That would help.
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 26, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
If there are a few goodies in the box set you can always upgrade the ones you really like.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 26, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »
This is true as well :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 27, 2011, 01:55:42 AM »
OK... just heard back from my friend...

The Western I have on the way is...

Bite the Bullet
BITE THE BULLET is an epic Western adventure featuring an amazing award-winning cast. Directed by Robert Brooks (In Cold Blood, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), the film's turn of the century tale of high stakes and harsh tests of endurance glorifies the kind of gutsy men and women who built this country.

Two-time Oscar® winner GENE HACKMAN* plays a former roughrider who matches wits with a lovely but shady lady in distress (Oscar® nominee CANDICE BERGEN). Academy-Award® winner JAMES COBURN (1997 Best Supporting Actor, Affliction) is a drifting ex-cowboy who joins a gruelling 700-mile race and competes against a young, reckless cowboy (JAN-MICHAEL VINCENT), a haughty English sportsman (Oscar® nominee IAN BANNEN), and a gutsy Pony Express rider (Oscar® winner BEN JOHNSON, 1971 Best Supporting Actor, The Last Picture Show).

"BITE THE BULLET is just about as perfect a screen entertainment as anyone could ask for." - The Hollywood Reporter

* 1971 Best Actor, The French Connection

The boxset that has 50 movies on only 4 DVDs... this is not in profiler... and I can't find a UPC so it has to wait... but here is what I was able to find out about it...

Your favorite sinister crime classics are all here in this speciall DVD collection. All 50 classics are digitally restored and remastered for over 37 hours of the best sinister crime classics ever featuring Lloyd Bridges, Ralph Bellamy, Angela Lansbury, Yul Brynner, Ann Sheridan and many more.

Disc 1 - Limping man -- Hoodlum -- Woman in the shadows -- Scar -- Cause for alarm -- Woman on the run -- Bridge of terror -- Death rides the sky -- Brother against brother -- Dangerous waters -- Please murder me -- Life at stake.

Disc 2 - Woman condemned -- Last mile -- D.O.A. -- Phantom fiend -- Sleeping tiger -- Ghost town mystery -- Battle in the clouds -- Stratosphere adventure -- Gold ship -- Harbor pursuit -- Trail of the spider -- Prison shadows.

Disc 3 - Sucker money -- Things happen at night -- Flowers from a stranger -- Plan for escape -- Trapped -- Pay-off -- Great Flamarion -- Fire trap -- Devil in white -- Brothers united -- Petite larceny -- Wire trappers -- Third rail.

Disc 4 - Death takes a partner -- Paradise lost -- Polecat shakedown -- Room 505 -- SIC transit Gloria -- Murder in the rough -- Murder mountain -- Inner sanctum -- Gaslight -- There was a crooked man -- Sharp knives -- Inner circle -- Shoot to kill.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 27, 2011, 03:29:20 AM »
The boxset that has 50 movies on only 4 DVDs... this is not in profiler...
So I won't be the only one who will do a ton of manual profiles soon :laugh:
All 50 classics are digitally restored and remastered
I think we can take that with a grain of salt even with the complete salt shaker :whistle:

I know absolutly nothing in this, but if you like old black and white thriller I think that could be a fun set.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 27, 2011, 03:38:21 AM »
Yeah... I think it can be fun.

I already researched a handful of titles... and a few of these are just single chapters to old movie serials. so they only run between 15 and 25 min each. So if there is many of those it may not loot too bad. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 27, 2011, 04:07:58 AM »
OK... I solved some more of the clues... I will also be getting...

Death Note
Adapted from a highly Popular manga, with origina characters and plot twists developed only for live-action film. Death Note finally comes to life, directed by the renowned monster film master Shusuke Kaneko with a theme song by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Ace student Light Yagami finds the Death Note, a notebook intentionally dropped by a rogue "Shinigami" death god named Ryuk. Any human whose name i written in the notebook dies. Upset with the Current justice system, Light takes matters into his own hands and vows to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of all evil, and become "the God of the new world."

A mysterious detective known only as "L" quickly learns that the serial killer, nicknamed "Kira" by the public, is located in Japan. Light realizes that L will be his greatest enemy, and a game of psychological cat and mouse between the two begins.
Death Note II: The Last Name
The sequel to the phenomenal hit move DEATH NOTE (directed by renowned filmmaker Shusuke Kancko), DEATH NOTE II: THE LAST NAME concludes the titanic battle between the two geniuses L and Light, with the Red Hot Chili Peppers again contributing the theme song.

Light Yagami has joined the investigation team in pursuit of the serial killer know as “Kira.” While L strongly suspects Light is “Kira,” Light continues to seek out L’s real name so he can kill him using the Death note.  Things get more unpredictable with the appearance of a second “Kira” who possesses the “Eyes of Death God,” enabling the owner to see the true identity and life span of any person.

Light soon learns the identity of the second “Kira” and wants to join forces to get rid of L.  Will L be able to unmask “Kira” before he gets killed?  Which name will be the last written in the Death Note?
Megafault
Solid ground gives way, skyscrapers crumble and cities are buried in this thrill-a-minute, action-packed movie event!  A deep seismic fault has been triggered in America's heartland.  Now, it threatens to slice North America in half.  Amidst unpredictable aftershocks, chaos and destruction, seismologist Amy Lane (Brittany Murphy, Deadline, Sin City) and Charley "Boomer" Baxter (Eriq La Salle, TV's ER) must race to predict the fault's direction and warn the millions in its engulfing path.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 27, 2011, 04:15:23 AM »
The Death Note films are quite cool, but you probably read the reviews and already know that. Looking forward to see what you think.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 27, 2011, 04:19:43 AM »
Actually those 2 I just found out about... so haven't had the chance to read any reviews for them or anything. I just need to decide if I should keep it that way and go into them completely in the dark about them... or look them up! :P

Edit:
I haven't even read the overviews on the DVD releases yet! :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2011, 04:29:59 AM »
Actually those 2 I just found out about... so haven't had the chance to read any reviews for them or anything. I just need to decide if I should keep it that way and go into them completely in the dark about them... or look them up! :P
it's reviews here on the site; but we have so many, it's hard to keep track.

Now that you mention it, I'll actually recommend to stat away from them before watch the movies, heck, since you haven't done so yet: don't read the overview!