Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 151459 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
That is an incredible selection. The Third Man? For crying out loud, that Criterion is a superb edition and not exactly cheap. That is very generous. The same goes for The Man Who Fell To Earth, though I expect you won't like it, Pete. It is a good film, but a surreal one. The Squid and the Whale is an unusual drama, but if you do like it even only a bit, it could open up a whole new world for you as the writer/director works frequently with Wes Anderson. 

I love History Of Violence. Bloody fantastic.  :thumbup:

I will be looking forward to checking them all out. Will have to see what I like. Even if I don't.... I sure as hell can't complain!  :thumbup:

But yeah... I was pretty shocked that there is a couple Criterion in the list. But she is upgrading to Blu-ray... so that is probably why... I am sure Criterion does Blu-ray as well... right? But yes... still very generous! :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2010, 08:27:34 PM »
Too bad I don't own this film... It will be on its way to your home. I can't imagine a worst torture for you... Even watching The Sorority over and over a complete day would be more pleasant :laugh:

Sounds like I need to be happy you don't have it!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Just imagine that all (and I mean all) the dialogue is sing. When I was a kid it was one of my mother favorite movies and it was a torture each time watching it... as it wasn't enough that the french accent annoy me I was force to listen 1h30 of songs about filling a gaz tank or walking in the streets in french from Catherine Deneuve :yucky:

She's a beautifull woman, but that doesn't make this french classic great in any way...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
 :laugh: That's ok... that one is all yours Jimmy!  :tease:
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2010, 10:11:07 PM »
That is an incredible selection. The Third Man? For crying out loud, that Criterion is a superb edition and not exactly cheap. That is very generous. The same goes for The Man Who Fell To Earth, though I expect you won't like it, Pete. It is a good film, but a surreal one. The Squid and the Whale is an unusual drama, but if you do like it even only a bit, it could open up a whole new world for you as the writer/director works frequently with Wes Anderson. 

I love History Of Violence. Bloody fantastic.  :thumbup:

I will be looking forward to checking them all out. Will have to see what I like. Even if I don't.... I sure as hell can't complain!  :thumbup:

But yeah... I was pretty shocked that there is a couple Criterion in the list. But she is upgrading to Blu-ray... so that is probably why... I am sure Criterion does Blu-ray as well... right? But yes... still very generous! :)

Not only is the Blu available from Criterion, but I think they are the only distributor to sell the Blu-Ray discs at the same price as the DVD, showing their commitment to quality. However, their DVDs are always pricey!  ;)

They always hold their price though too and out of print editions increase. I've bought their Seven Samurai three times and on each occasion I've been able to sell at near enough cost, if not at a profit.

But the real kicker for me in this case (sorry to keep going on, but... well... :stars: :laugh:) is that when Criterion re-issued their existing titles on Blu-Ray, they actually allowed you to swap them for free. You just had to send them the disc and keep the case, and they would send you the Blu to replace it. They don't do it for free now: http://www.criterion.com/help#q28 but they certainly did with The Third Man.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2010, 10:37:31 PM »
Well... sounds like I was lucky and she didn't know that!  (swap program)  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2010, 11:53:11 PM »
Not only is the Blu available from Criterion, but I think they are the only distributor to sell the Blu-Ray discs at the same price as the DVD, showing their commitment to quality. However, their DVDs are always pricey!  ;)
Pricey isn't the word... they are overprice because they made people believed that all their released are great materials, most of them aren't... Common most of the region 2 released of their stuff had a better quality, had better extra (Repulsion, Peeping Tom and Flesh For Frankenstein are good exemple of this) and cost less than half the price.

Just a case of good marketing with the numbering to force people to buy their stuff...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:56:02 PM by Jimmy »

Najemikon

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »
Yes, there are occasionally better editions, released later on, and I'm proud to say it's often region 2. But at the time of release and frequently for good, their editions are the finest. Because they are independent they find very valuable extras and it is extremely rare they don't put every effort in the release. I'm certainly not being "made to believe" anything.

Why do you have such a cynical attitude to one of the most honest and valued distributors? I mean, just how many of their titles do you have?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2010, 12:09:47 AM »
Jon you put words in my mouth again... I don't talk about you but the Criterion way of doing marketing that's all. For what it's worth I own those one from them :

Najemikon

« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2010, 12:53:50 AM »
Yeah, but you do talk about me, in a round about sort of way! :-[

Pricey isn't the word... they are overprice because they made people believed that all their released are great materials, most of them aren't...

Just a case of good marketing with the numbering to force people to buy their stuff...

I own 29 of their titles. I'm clearly one of the people taken in by them!  :laugh: In the interests of balance, I can think of maybe five that made me wonder why Criterion released them in the first place and don't have the content to justify them (for instance, the only title we share in Chasing Amy). Two have been superseded by very fine releases, but both of them (Robocop and Silence of the Lambs) still get a lot of support for being definitive releases, despite being non-anamorphic. Lambs is the only release approved by the cinematographer, I believe.

The bulk of my collection are astonishingly good, especially the Kurosawa and Hitchcock titles.

RossRoy

« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »
Hey Pete, any of your friends have a Torchwood Season 2 Disc 4 laying around to send you? You could then pass it on to me ...  :P

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2010, 01:12:46 AM »
Two have been superseded by very fine releases, but both of them (Robocop and Silence of the Lambs) still get a lot of support for being definitive releases, despite being non-anamorphic.
Those 2 are direct port from the laserdisc no? Just like their released of Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula.

Like I said Jon it's more about their marketing I was talking (BTW it's a great marketing idea they got). For one time I tried to not make a generalization (you know how you usually tell me that I see all in black and white with no middle point. I tried to not do it this time :laugh:). But you have to agree that many of their client got anything they released because of the number and not because of who did the films or the films themselves.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2010, 02:07:40 AM »
Hey Pete, any of your friends have a Torchwood Season 2 Disc 4 laying around to send you? You could then pass it on to me ...  :P

:laugh: Will have to put them on the lookout! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2010, 02:23:20 AM »
OMG... I just got another PM from her... she was boxing up the movies for me... and found she had room for 2 more! But this time it is finally it... box is all taped up and ready to go out on Monday!  :thumbup: She Added...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Two master warriors (CHOW YUN FAT and MICHELLE YEOH) are faced with their greatest challenge when the treasured Green Destiny sword is stolen. A young aristocrat (ZHANG ZIYI) prepares for an arranged marriage, but soon reveals her superior fighting talents and her deeply romantic past. As each warrior battles for justice, they come face to face with their worst enemy – and the inescapable, enduring power of love.

Set against 19th-century China's breathtaking landscape, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is the action-packed, box office smash from acclaimed director Ang Lee (Sense and Sensibility, The Ice Storm) featuring stunning martial arts choreography by Yuen Wo Ping (The Matrix).
National Treasure
From Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of Pirates Of The Caribbean, and Jon Turtletaub, director of Phenomenon, comes National Treasure. It's the thrilling, edge-of-your-seat adventure starring Academy Award® winner Nicolas Cage* as Benjamin Franklin Gates. Ever since he was a boy, Gates has been obsessed with finding the legendary Knights Templar Treasure, the greatest fortune known to man. As Gates tries to find and decipher ancient riddles that will lead him to it, he's dogged by a ruthless enemy (Sean Bean, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy) who wants the riches for himself. Now in a race against time, Gates must steal one of America's most sacred and guarded documents – the Declaration of Independence – or let it, and a key clue to the mystery, fall into dangerous hands. Heart-pounding chases, close calls and the FBI turn Gates' quest into a high-stakes crime caper and the most exciting treasure hunt you've ever experienced.

* Best Actor, Leaving Las Vegas, 1995

Like I said before... can't say for sure on the versions... she just gave me the titles.

She said she remembered reading my review for Nation Treasures 2 that I still need part 1!  :thumbup:
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:44 AM »
I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in a theater when it first premiered.  It's probably the only time I've ever attended a foreign language film.  It's in Mandarin Chinese, I think.  It took me a bit of time to get used to it but I'm glad I went as I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I imagine the DVD probably has an English dubbed version included (I have the DVD but can't remember) but it wouldn't be the same in my opinion.