Author Topic: Another DVD Care Package?  (Read 146432 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Another DVD Care Package?
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
Thanks... will still be interesting to see. :)

I just finished The Cage... Really enjoyed it. :)

I just need to have a talk with this daughter of mine. She said that Star Wars is better then Star Trek!?! And get this... she never seen any of the Star Wars movies! She is basing it off the Star Wars cartoon on Cartoon Network!   :hysterical:
Pete

hal9g

« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
Well, I must admit that Star Wars (the original trilogy) is better than some of the Star Trek movies.  I won't say which, since I don't want to preset any expectations.  I was totally unimpressed with the three Star Wars prequel movies!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »
Pete, you have to sit down with your daughter and watch the original trilogy you recently got. She has to see how Star Wars is supposed to be like  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
Pete, you have to sit down with your daughter and watch the original trilogy you recently got. She has to see how Star Wars is supposed to be like  ;)

I must admit that while I don't especially care for the look of the cartoon, I think they're doing a fine job with it. Much better than Ep1 and 2 in any case.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 12, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

Yeah... I wouldn't have minded the comment at all if she was basing it off the original movies. But to base it off a cartoon... that is another thing all together. I will definitely have to see if she will watch the movies with me at some point here soon.

My personal opinion on it... while I definitely enjoy both... I prefer the characters and all of Star Trek over Star Wars.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »
Well, I must admit that Star Wars (the original trilogy) is better than some of the Star Trek movies.  I won't say which, since I don't want to preset any expectations.  I was totally unimpressed with the three Star Wars prequel movies!

While I wouldn't say I thought they were bad. The prequel movies definitely were not as good as the original trilogy. Though I can't comment on episode 3 since I never bothered to see it.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
I just need to have a talk with this daughter of mine. She said that Star Wars is better then Star Trek!?!

???

Why so surprised? Both have cult followings, no mistake, but the general attitude is you tend to like one more than the other, but there is no rule about which.

Now, I like Star Trek in small doses. I really like some of the films, love the characters, but find the series faintly ridiculous. The stories are always the same! Dull, preachy and cheesy. And occasionally outrageously camp. Galaxy Quest could not have smacked the nail any harder.

I might be biased because I prefer film over TV, but I'd say that at the time the original Star Wars trilogy was out, it was infinitely better than anything Star Trek had done up to that point. Remember in fact that the Star Trek series was a bit of a flop. I find it interesting that The Motion Picture (dreadful film!) only came out after Star Wars and ironic that the marvellous Wrath of Khan is considered a sci-fi movie sequel classic, released a mere two years after The Empire Strikes Back. That film is frequently considered one of the best sequels ever made.

So in summary, Star Trek cannot be better than Star Wars, because without Star Wars, no-one would have even bothered about blowing the dust of the Star Trek franchise! Before Wrath of Khan, it was rubbish. And Wrath of Khan was only as brilliant as it actually is because The Empire Strikes Back showed them how to do it. :tease:

Now I will grant you, several of the ST films are much, much better than the SW prequels. I thought in fact, that the new Star Trek movie was everything the SW prequels should have been.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
What I was trying to say... don't think it came out right. Not the fact that she prefers Star Wars. But she not basing it off the movies. She never seen any of the movies. She is basing it off the cartoon. I got to get her to watch the movies is all. :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2010, 07:11:49 PM »
Oh, sorry, I did mean to say... I haven't seen the cartoon myself, but it really does get a lot of respect. This isn't some cheap cash-in, Pete. I've never been fussed about seeing them, but they are often critically acclaimed.

hal9g

« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »

So in summary, Star Trek cannot be better than Star Wars, because without Star Wars, no-one would have even bothered about blowing the dust of the Star Trek franchise! Before Wrath of Khan, it was rubbish. And Wrath of Khan was only as brilliant as it actually is because The Empire Strikes Back showed them how to do it. :tease:

Well the only thing "before Wrath of Kahn" was ST: The Motion Picture, which I think everyone agrees was not a great effort.  They probably could have cut the running time in half and done a better job with it.  I'm somewhat surprised Paramount agreed to do another movie after that mess.

Unless by "before Wrath of Kahn" you are also including the Original Series.  If so, then I have to take exception with you that "it was rubbish".  You have to take into account that it was made in 1966.  Star Wars was 12 years later AND had the budget of a feature film.  That's a huge difference in technological advances and a huge difference in budget.  TOS was far ahead of anything else that came before it in terms of special effects.  Was it moralistic?  Yes...it was a product of it's time.  But at the same time it was ahead of it's time in the international and inter-racial makeup of the crew and some of the topics that it tackled.  I think Roddenberry's vision of our future is one we should all aspire to.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
Thanks Hal... that brought up a point about the pilot I meant to make in the review thread. May have to go back and edit it in.

I noticed in the pilot Captain Pike said how he wasn't used to a woman being on his bridge. And showed this in a few spots in the episode.  That is one thing I didn't care much for in The Cage... as it really went against what was shown in the entire series.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
I noticed in the pilot Captain Pike said how he wasn't used to a woman being on his bridge. And showed this in a few spots in the episode.  That is one thing I didn't care much for in The Cage... as it really went against what was shown in the entire series.

The special irony is that he (Roddenberry) fought to keep Number One in the regular series, but executive meddling prevented it. They gave him the choice of keeping the woman or that pointy-ear thingy and he went for the latter.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
Well... I must say I am glad he chose to keep Spock (though making him choose was wrong!)... as Spock has always been a favorite character of mine.
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
How'd you guess I was talking about Spock?  :o  :laugh:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2010, 08:26:14 PM »

Well the only thing "before Wrath of Kahn" was ST: The Motion Picture, which I think everyone agrees was not a great effort.  They probably could have cut the running time in half and done a better job with it.  I'm somewhat surprised Paramount agreed to do another movie after that mess.

Unless by "before Wrath of Kahn" you are also including the Original Series.  If so, then I have to take exception with you that "it was rubbish".  You have to take into account that it was made in 1966.  Star Wars was 12 years later AND had the budget of a feature film.  That's a huge difference in technological advances and a huge difference in budget.  TOS was far ahead of anything else that came before it in terms of special effects.  Was it moralistic?  Yes...it was a product of it's time.  But at the same time it was ahead of it's time in the international and inter-racial makeup of the crew and some of the topics that it tackled.  I think Roddenberry's vision of our future is one we should all aspire to.

My "it was rubbish" before Khan was intended to cover the original series too, because as I said, very much my opinion, I just didn't care for it. Just as I didn't care for Doctor Who either, but at least that had a better theme!  :laugh: However, I do see that it was an important series and as I said, I do like the idea and the characters (I agree it's a good view of the future).

Just as Doctor Who has been better served by recent series, so too I believe Star Trek realised its potential in Wrath of Khan and a couple of the later films. Part 6 has always been a favourite of mine.