Author Topic: Computer Problem  (Read 3663 times)

RossRoy

Re: Computer Problem
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 04:34:24 AM »
What are the specs of it? Do you know? (CPU make, Motherboard make, etc.)
We aren't tomorrow but I'm here again, this is from my original purchase receipt

Boitier Asus TA551 Power Supply 400W
Carte maitresse Asus P5GZ-MX S775
Processeur Intel P4 3 GHZ S775
512 MB DDR2 Ram
HD 80 GB 7200 RPM Sata

Nice little machine! How would you like to upgrade to 2GB (512MB to 2048MB) of RAM on this? I still have the old RAM from my dead motherboard on my previous PC, which is pretty much useless to me now. So instead of having sleep in my desk... ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 04:46:41 AM »
PM send

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »
I had overheating problems before (same issue: dust) but the computer would turn itself off for self preservation rather than die on me. Of course, that was a notebook, but I think a PC should have such protection as well?

Well, anyway, glad to see you got it sorted out! I know how it can feel to spend an evening at home without the ability to read "stuff" in the internet. On the other hand, it allows us to catch up on the DVD viewing...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »
Well, anyway, glad to see you got it sorted out! I know how it can feel to spend an evening at home without the ability to read "stuff" in the internet. On the other hand, it allows us to catch up on the DVD viewing...
I don't even had this pleasure, my only DVD reader is my computer. But I can use the internet at the university, it's just boring to go there (at my home I can do anything while using the web and I can't go on many places that are part of my daily routine on the web :laugh:)

My computer is ready, I just wait after my brother for picking it up (and paying). I will know tonight when he will be available.

RossRoy

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 10:10:20 PM »
I don't even had this pleasure, my only DVD reader is my computer.

I'm lucky in that sense. I usually watch DVD on my PC, but if my PC is dead, I can fall back to my Xbox360, and if that fails, I still have my old B&HDSBX*

My computer is ready, I just wait after my brother for picking it up (and paying). I will know tonight when he will be available.

Nice! It didn't take too long.

*B&HBBX = Big & Heavy "Door Stopping" Black Xbox ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »
With my PS2 all could have been ok, but I've given it to my sister last year because I wasn't using it anymore. Just like I gave her my extra dvd reader (an old Phillips that was unable to read a DVD-R), but at this time my dvd reader wasn't dead yet...  :laugh:

My brother call me back and I will have my computer tomorrow afternoon :yahoo:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 07:26:08 AM »
So you guys actually use the computer screen for watching (what size...?) or use a TV out to connect to the actual TV in front of the sofa/couch?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »
I sometimes watch a TV show or a romance movie on my 21" 16:10 TFT in my bedroom, when I am too lazy to move my arse into the living room.

I also watch all my TorrentTV shows on the computer.

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

RossRoy

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:16 PM »
So you guys actually use the computer screen for watching (what size...?) or use a TV out to connect to the actual TV in front of the sofa/couch?

Yeah, I use my computer screen for all my DVD watching. 22" LCD through DVI, and my "computer chair" is a "single seat" couch, unfortunately it's not a recliner, but it's better than a standard office chair! ;)

(is there a specific name for that in english?)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »
Mine is smaller : 17'' LCD and I use a 1280x1024 screen resolution (my TV screen isn't really bigger, my TV is quite old)

Finally my computer is back, so I'm at home. The first big difference that I see is that my computer doesn't make any noise anymore and the technician had installed a new program on it (Spybot Search and Destroy). The final price is less than the estimate one, but not that much (236$). As said the motherboard and the Power Supply were replaced :

Motherboard : Intel BOXDG31PR DDR2 S775 (119,95$)
Power Supply : Coolmax 400W 24 Pin (39,95$)

labor : 50,00$

:voodoo: Taxes : 27,03$

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »

If my math is correct, then this comes to 7.77% tax. In Germany we have 19% VAT.
The good thing is, that the VAT is usually included in the price you see/are told. No surprises at the checkout counter here :)

RossRoy

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:43 PM »

I'm a bit puzzled by that choice by your technician. Why replace an Asus motherboard, for a more costly Intel one, when the similar Asus board is still readily available and much cheaper?

Oh well, as long as your computer works, it's the only thing that counts! We wouldn't want to lose you now would we? ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »

If my math is correct, then this comes to 7.77% tax. In Germany we have 19% VAT.
The good thing is, that the VAT is usually included in the price you see/are told. No surprises at the checkout counter here :)

Same in the UK. When I went to the States I couldn't get used to having to work it all out at the till! Weird.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »
It was like that here too before and it was better, at least it was easier to do the grocery or multiple purchase without exceeding the price you want. Never quite understand the reasons behind this change, everybody was happy without knowing the money amount gave to the governement to spend on stupidity :whistle:

I'm a bit puzzled by that choice by your technician. Why replace an Asus motherboard, for a more costly Intel one, when the similar Asus board is still readily available and much cheaper?
Maybe because it will not overheat because of the poor quality again :laugh:
I've no problem to pay more for something better.

RossRoy

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:56 PM »
Maybe because it will not overheat because of the poor quality again :laugh:
I've no problem to pay more for something better.

:laugh: Something like that!

Although, personally, I would vouch for Asus motherboards anyday! I've had only 2 go bad in all the PC I've built (mines, families' and customers), and both were the same model and manufacture date, so I'm putting the blame on the production at that specific time, not on the company as a whole.

Also, chances are the motherboard was perfectly fine... until the power supply blew. I hate those darn power supplies, they always have a tendency to bring something down with them.

On side note, your new memory is not being tested in another computer. If everything is fine, I'll mail them friday in the afternoon.