Author Topic: Gory Movies  (Read 8770 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Gory Movies
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 12:48:07 AM »
Thanks Tom... that helped. Seeing that I didn't put the Jurassic Park movies as horror... I guess I won't for King Kong movies either. At least till I see them  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »
King Kong is fantasy, but with horror elements. It depends on the point of view of the main characters, so in fact, King King is more of a love story! ;)

On the other hand, in Jurassic Park, the main characters are the humans, trapped on an island, trying not to get eaten, so it is more horror. If it were from the point of view of the T-Rex, it's a drama about food...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »
I wouldn't consider King Kong horror either.  I don't really think of the Jurassic Park movies as horror either even though they have a few scary moments.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »
Is King Kong horror? should it be added to my horror list?
Not for me. It is in the same category than Godzilla, Mothra and all the others big Japanese characters.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 06:47:02 AM »
@Achim
about Donnie Darko... If I remember right I put that there before seeing the movie... since I had heard it was horror. After watching it I found it to be little more then just confusing... somehow I must have forgotten to take it off the list after watching it. Thanks for the heads up.
I actually thought it was a list from DVD profiler filtered on the genre Horror and that the related profile was crap. But yes, Donnie Darko can be a tad confusing...

And I have the first Hellraisers... should be on that list.  Just looked at the list... it is under Hellraiser 3 for some reason. I do still need to get part 2 though.
Well, the list says Hellraisers and I assumed it was a sequel that I didn't know of (stopped caring after 4 but happened to see the one in space once). If you have the fist one then all is good. You may consider it added to my list.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »
Well, the list says Hellraisers and I assumed it was a sequel that I didn't know of (stopped caring after 4 but happened to see the one in space once). If you have the fist one then all is good.
Hellraiser : Hellseeker isn't too bad. The story is interesting with a little twist and Ashley Laurence is in it (she had age beautifully). The movie is low budget and this is really apparent in the bad GGI, but this isn't a lost of time like all the others after the first three.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
28 Days Later
30 Days of Night
Army Of Darkness: Boomstick Edition
Cabin Fever
Class Of Nuke 'Em High: Special Edition
Cube
Cube 2: Hypercube
Cube Zero
Dead Alive
Devil's Rejects: Unrated Edition
Dog Soldiers 
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
From Dusk Till Dawn: Collector's Edition
House of 1000 Corpses
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse: Special Edition
Resident Evil: Extinction: Exclusive 2-Disc Limited Edition
Resident Evil: Degeneration
Slither
Trick Or Treat

:redcard: No Bad Taste (you've got Brain Dead)
 :redcard: No Tremors? (or did I just misread?)

Slither and Dog Soldiers are great films though

I never seen any version of King Kong. I have seen some people say it is horror and others say it is not. What is your opinion on the matter? Is King Kong horror? should it be added to my horror list?

Before I saw it, the idea of a remake of King Kong was truly horrific.

Go with your gut on this one, I mean, if I had Arlington Road or Deliverance in my collection - then they would be listed under horror and probably kept in the freezer.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 12:44:22 PM »
I have all the tremor movies... not sure why they aren't in the list. will have to fix that.

@Achim
No... this list is not from profiler. back before I even heard of DVD Profiler I kept a list of all my horror movies in a txt file because I was on many horror lists/sites and the question of what horror do you own always came up. So it was easier to keep a list and copy and paste it whenever that question came up. And over the years I just kept that txt file (somewhat) up to date for when it does happen.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
just looked... all 4 tremors are on the list.
Pete

northbloke

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 02:33:27 AM »
To add to Achim's list, a couple more I see in your list are:

My Bloody Valentine
Theatre of Blood (gory for it's time at least)

Ones I don't see on the list but you might like based on what you have are:

The Beyond
City of the Living Dead (both by the guy who made Zombie)
Mario Bava's Bay of Blood
Maniac
2001 Maniacs
Monster Man
Frontiers
Martyrs
Opera
New York Ripper

Didn't notice much Asian gore in your list, but these are some of the more popular ones:

Machine Girl
Tokyo Gore Police
Evil Dead Trap
The Untold Story
The Ebola Syndrome
The Last Supper

And for the more "extreme" films:

Nekromantik (2 is technically gorier)
The Guinea Pig films Devil's Experiment and Flowers of Flesh and Blood
Red Room
Aftermath
Ichi the Killer

Oh, and this maybe be common knowledge but I just found out that Richard Stanley's Hardware is finally getting a decent release and on blu-ray too. It's due out over here on the 22nd and sorry US guys but it's locked to region B. I don't know about the DVD but it's likely to be locked to 2 as well.

lovemunkey187

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 10:38:56 AM »
Just thought of another film to add to your list of possible future purchases,

Society.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 07:04:35 PM »
Oh, and this maybe be common knowledge but I just found out that Richard Stanley's Hardware is finally getting a decent release and on blu-ray too.

;D

It's due out over here on the 22nd and sorry US guys but it's locked to region B. I don't know about the DVD but it's likely to be locked to 2 as well.

:weep:

northbloke

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »
It's due out over here on the 22nd and sorry US guys but it's locked to region B. I don't know about the DVD but it's likely to be locked to 2 as well.

:weep:
Sorry about that, but I have the blu-ray on pre-order so I'll check it's regions when it arrives - just in case.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 06:27:18 AM »
Sorry about that, but I have the blu-ray on pre-order so I'll check it's regions when it arrives - just in case.
Thanks.

I followed a few Google links and they mostly seem to confirm that this will be region locked. But even if not entirely I'd wanna be careful. I previosuly ordered the Region A/B Son of Rambow just to find that the PAL trailers on the start of the disc prevent my PS3 to play it entirely. I think I'll go with the DVD version, then it matches format with my Dust Devil Collector's Edition (I can usually make up good excuses for myself...).

northbloke

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 10:07:25 PM »
Thanks.

I followed a few Google links and they mostly seem to confirm that this will be region locked. But even if not entirely I'd wanna be careful. I previosuly ordered the Region A/B Son of Rambow just to find that the PAL trailers on the start of the disc prevent my PS3 to play it entirely. I think I'll go with the DVD version, then it matches format with my Dust Devil Collector's Edition (I can usually make up good excuses for myself...).

I've just found out that Severin Films are planning to release Hardware on blu-ray in the US at the end of September, so that should work find on your PS3. If they've used the same master it looks really good. Some noticable print damage early on, but that soon disappears.