Author Topic: Apocalypse Now vs. Apocalypse Now Redux  (Read 1037 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Apocalypse Now vs. Apocalypse Now Redux
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:05:02 PM »
Never seen either. Which cut version is better?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: Apocalypse Now vs. Apocalypse Now Redux
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
I've seen both and own Redux. Difficult to say which is better. If you've never seen it, neither version really matters; you'll still react to it the same, ecstatically, or not... ;)

Part of the Empire review:

"But what about the new stuff? It's all good, but there are niggles - when Willard and his men rag Kilgore by stealing his surfboard, it deepens their characters and makes some nice relief, but the extra footage blunts Duvall's great exit line ("Some day this war's gonna end"). The Playboy bunny scene has moments but feels unfinished, and a crucial moment with Laurence Fishburne is still MIA. The long French plantation sequence has weird echoes of Sid James and co. taking tea during battle in Carry On Up The Khyber, but the first ghostly appearance of the colonials in the mist is magical. A bit with Brando reading articles aloud makes this a more specific film about this particular war, but is literal editorialising.

Now, it's a slower film, with a little more intellect and sentiment, but perhaps the added time to think will make you feel less overwhelmed.

Verdict
Unmissable in any version, especially if you're an Apocalypse-in-the-cinema virgin, it'll take a few more viewings to decide which is the definitive version."

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypse Now vs. Apocalypse Now Redux
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »
It's been 23 years (or so...) since I have seen Apocalypse Now and about 2-3 years since I have seen Redux. in short, sorry I can't help.

I did, however, enjoy Redux and did not particularly mind the added length.