Author Topic: New website: Wolframaplha  (Read 1313 times)

Najemikon

New website: Wolframaplha
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:47:50 AM »
Anyone heard about this? Not sure if it's fully live yet, but I'm quite impressed. Essentially a search engine, but certainly not a traditional one. I searched for a couple of films and it gave me a profile, not a page of results. In the profile was core information about the film, including cast. At the bottom, a "source information" link listed all the sites it used to build it up. Wonder if Skip would accept that as authenticated? :D

But you must play with it. Stick anything in at all and the profiles are surprising. It suggests entering a date and you get mathematical equations, key events and celebrity birthdays. Pretty clever stuff.

Wolframalpha

richierich

Re: New website: Wolframaplha
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »
great link thanks, just got average temperature of my holiday destination in portugal, weather from my birth date, and even a jokey reply from how long a piece of string is  :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:37:44 AM »
type "are you self aware?" in it..  :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:20:46 AM »

:redcard: It's my birthday :celebrate: This is a major notable event :bash:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 07:10:11 AM »
Anyone heard about this? Not sure if it's fully live yet, but I'm quite impressed. [...]
Given the sites name and they way they display it I would assume this is alpha stage... ;)

Looks quite interesting though. I do, however, have a feeling that the movie information may (in parts) come from IMDb...

May I stick with Google for the time being...? :P

lyonsden5

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »
I've been watching and following the progress of this site for about a month now, just before it went live. I was more excited about it before I actually used it. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect but when you read things like "Google killer" you expect a lot.

It is very cool, no doubt. For facts and research it is a great site and I'm sure will continue to get better. It is pretty limited though if you try to use it a lot. For about a week everything I searched for in google I also put into WA. Most instances it had no information. Even something as simple as Swine Flu does yield some interestng results but I would love to see a history of the progression (you know - one of those map that starts off with a few dots the eventually covers the world as in movies like Outbreak

If I were a student I would certainly be using it a lot. I'm guessing a lot of research papers are going to be filled with the same information in the near future  :laugh:

Great idea. Good site. Awesome potential.  :2cents:

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »
Yeah, I've been following it for a while too (and it's always been "alpha"! :P). In some ways, it doesn't live up to it's own hype, but in others I was very surprised how well and straightforward it works. I like the humility of having a link to list their sources for each result and the little features like PDF creation.

Well, Jimmy, no notable events for me either, but I do share my birthday with Charlize Theron, apparently, so beat that!  :tease:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:55:30 PM by Jon »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Harry S. Truman, Ricky Nelson, Gary Glitter, Alex Van Halen, Enrique Iglesias and Molly the Dog :hmmmm:

I think you won this one :laugh: