Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 07:17:54 AM »
Well I didn't manage to watch the other Star Trek movies, but I have every intention of going to see this tomorrow - well later today now since it's after midnight. :)
I even went and got the glasses that Burger King has..   :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 06:57:52 AM »
I saw the movie today and I loved it. 
The plot was interesting even though it wasn't as complex.  It was interesting to see the younger versions of the characters just barely out of Starfleet and how they ended up on the Enterprise.  I think the movie fits in well with the others, though granted, I don't know as much about the other movies.  I think the only other Trek movie I've seen all the way through is Wrath of Khan.  I could see how long term Trek fans could be upset about a few story elements that change things.  There is a decent amount of action that helps to keep things interesting.  I think the effects were done well.  The cast was great, with all of them fitting the characters well.  The main characters all end up saying things that they said before in previous movies or the television show - like Bones sort of flipping out and yelling about being a doctor and not physicist. 

The movie is very entertaining and I have no doubt that more will be made. 

I did get a longer review posted at Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Star Trek

Oh...I did stay through the credits..no extra scene in this one. :)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 07:03:52 AM »
I went last night and watched, thought that it was fantastic.

Thought that casting was excellent, especially Karl Urban as Bones. He was absolutly brilliant, he must've been possessed/channeling the spirirt of Deforest Kelley.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »
I went last night and watched, thought that it was fantastic.

Thought that casting was excellent, especially Karl Urban as Bones. He was absolutly brilliant, he must've been possessed/channeling the spirirt of Deforest Kelley.

I thought he was great in the part too, especially when he was ranting a bit about something or just being a general grump.  I read one review last night that ripped his performance, saying the character was too bad tempered.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 08:30:02 PM »
Star Trek: Countdown

Synopsis: Stardate 64333.4 (2384). Federation ambassador Spock has been living on Romulus for 40 years now when he discovers a terrible threat to the planet and the entire galaxy: A star is about to become an uncontrollable supernova that will eat itself through the universe. But the romulan senate cannot be convinced and so Spock and the young mining captain Nero travel to Vulcan. They want to get the technology to stop the catastrophe from happening. But Spock isn't welcome on Vulcan anymore but he has friends in high places: Federation ambassador Picard and Captain Data from the Enterprise. Can they prevent the catastrophe?

My Opinion: The comic is an easy read and is generally satisfactory. The characters are believable and that Data's data was transferred into B-4's body is acceptable. Nero's hate towards everyone who signed the death sentence of his family is plausible. he was portrayed as a very emotional character from the start and he shows no mercy with the romulan Pretor, too.
Only the price of €14.80 is a bit steep if you consider that one can read the 100 pages in less than an hour.

Tomorrow I will go watch the movie in the theatre...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »
Tomorrow I will go watch the movie in the theatre...
I'll watch it tonight too! In IMAX even :drooling: (friend made reservation, hope we got good seats)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »
Just came back from the IMAX... Loved the film! I very much enjoyed how they treated the original with respect yet made it their own. Few changes were made, most of them forgivable. Kirk and Spock were good representations, Sulu, Chekov and Scotty (unfortunately I felt that Simon Pegg was a Fail here :shrug:) all get their hero moments. Alien monsters (that red thing is awesome) and the Romulans are great menaces. Lots of action, excellently executed.

I didn't like the water pipe section, thought that Kirk was beaten up too many times and the story was a bit over the top (but who cares; and it actually was a helpful device for possible sequels.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »
Just came back and I must say:  :thumbup: :thumbup:

I loved all the little references to past Trek (at least the ones that I noticed). And they managed to successfully show us the characters we love, but still found a way, that makes the makers free to explore further stories without having to keep attention if they contradict anything which has been set by previous movies and TV series.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 12:01:51 AM »
I have just come back from the theatre (I watched it together with 12 friends) and I can only put it that way: I had an incredible fun time.

I went into that movie with exactly the expectations that I believe were necessary: To see a new interpretation of Star Trek TOS. The time travel was a bridge to the old Star Trek world but it was a metaphorical bridge, not a canonical.

Thus I didn't see it as constructed that the crew came together they way they came together. The fact that it were the same people as in the original TOS was fate - the same fate that always brought the same characters together in the mirror universe - in TOS, DS9 and ENT. If we had never seen a TOS series or a TOS movie nobody would have found it curious that these people took the seats they had taken.

I also couldn't find large logic holes - I didn't look for them but there also wasn't one that jumped me right into the face.

What they have overdone at some points was the silliness of the characters. There were some scenes which weren't necessary, where they slid into a absurdity. Since much of this goofiness was expressed by voice, I will re-watch the movie in its original language and check how much of it is due to the dubbing. The original series had also a "funny" dubbing because the dubbers thought it would be "better" that way. Of the crew it was only Checkov who was overplayed, he seemed like a bad imitation of Michael Mittermeier's (a german comedian) Checkov imitation.

In regards to audio and video I was once again disappointed of the theatre. There were vertical lines in the picture at all times that were either black or green as well as some bad transitions from one film reel to the next, including audio breaks. The general audio was also flat when there should have been some serious basses. One could as well watch a bad internet copy.

Summa summarum: This movie is definitively different from all other Trek movies and he wanted it to be. He combines the easiness of The Voyage Home with the action of First Contact and the characters are    likeable. I also liked the visual appearance, including the "brewery engine room".

Original audio track, here I come!
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 03:31:20 AM »
I just saw it again.  Still love it.   :thumbup: :thumbup:

I went with my mom and step dad this time..she thought it was ok but wasn't that impressed...but she doesn't like many movies like this.  My step-dad really liked it.  He got more of the references to the original stuff than I did since he's more familiar with the original stuff.

I did pay more attention to the music this time...it all worked great.