Author Topic: FAO Jimmy: Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes!  (Read 1526 times)

Najemikon

FAO Jimmy: Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes!
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
I'm subscribed to the Criterion newsletter and I thought this might be Jimmy's street as soon as I read the description... ;)

Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes: 3 Films by Shohei Imamura

L.A. Times Review: Shohei Imamura views life from the lower rungs

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: FAO Jimmy: Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:47:20 AM »
First post I've check at my arrival...

Intentions of Murder looks interesting (at least the synopsis is), but I hate Criterion... Not because the films they release are bad quality or not remastered or poor in extra, but because they cost too much. Individually sold, I would had take the chance, but in a boxset that will certainly cost more than 80$ here it's out of my league.

But they have an interesting one for the July 28 that I will pre-order right now.

Curious? :tease:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
Intentions of Murder looks interesting (at least the synopsis is), but I hate Criterion... Not because the films they release are bad quality or not remastered or poor in extra, but because they cost too much. Individually sold, I would had take the chance, but in a boxset that will certainly cost more than 80$ here it's out of my league.
Well, you can't really fault them for their prices. They feed a niche market with a rather small amount of customer while having relatively high costs of production (restoration and extras...). Except for the olde DVDs, where they were using laserdisc transfers, you almost always get the best possible quality. But yes, as a price...

But they have an interesting one for the July 28 that I will pre-order right now.

Curious? :tease:
Wish Listed... Thanks.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:46:40 PM »
Yeah, "Hate" is a very strong word! Criterion are still the DVDs I get most excited about in general because no other label puts in such consistent effort. And while they are expensive, I thought the offer they made over Blu-Ray was incredible. Who else would let you send your DVD discs back to be swapped like-for-like free of charge? Shame it's only in the US, but still.  :shrug:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »
A little bit strong as a world I agree. I know that they do a real great job on their release, but I have always the impression that we pay much more for the name label than anything. Many other labels do the same remastering job and their prizes are more realist (between 20 and 30 $CAN), two good exemples are Synapse and Blue Underground. It's just that for that prize I can't really take a chance on many of their movie, but that doesn't means that I don't own some of them. This is what I've from them : Brazil, Chasing Amy, General Idi Amin Dada (A Self Portrait), Man Bites Dog, Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom, The Virgin Spring and Vengeance is Mine. Many more interest me, but...

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 07:11:02 AM »
Fair point about other "niche market" providers as Underground (who usually do great jobs as well). Would be interesting to see what each studio sells of any random movie...