Author Topic: The Worst Sequel...  (Read 9222 times)

Najemikon

Re: The Worst Sequel...
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
The theory of a prequel should be a good one, but as so often happens, producers don't have the courage of their initial convictions, get cold feet, and go for the money instead. No such problem with Godfather II. The parallels it drew between Michael and his father were marvellous.

I've found prequels in books and comics more reliable and even look forward to them. I mentioned The Soulforge in passing the other day. This is a prequel to The Dragonlance Saga and is brilliant as it feeds into what you already know and teases at alternatives to what you believe. Finally it adds value to the original story when you reread it.

In a way, the effect I look for is what the Star Wars films already achieved without the new films. In A New Hope, Ben tells Luke what happened to his father and this forms the basis of the story. But in The Empire Strikes Back, this is undermined to devastating effect. If they had never made ESB, but decided to do episodes 1 to 3 then, maybe the prequels would have worked. You'd have worked out for yourself that Ben was lying to protect Luke and that would have even made up for Jar Jar.

Lone

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 11:10:59 PM »
Hi Lone - welcome! :cheers: Yet one more point awarded for a new poster!

thank you for the welcome...I came from DVDP forums,but try not to post there where I'll get a RUDE response no matter what.I like the friendly atmosphere here and after I get all caught up on the reading,I'm sure I'll be a regular poster

What's with the points for new posters?

lyonsden5

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »

If you look below your username you see a "score". When people do something others think is good, makes them laugh, helps them, etc. others will add a point to their "score". Even greedy whinny people get them sometimes  :fishy:

It doesn't mean anything. Just something to do.

good question point awarded to you  :laugh:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 11:27:11 PM »

Eric (Touti), the developer of this fabulous web site, put the point system in as a way of commentary. If someone cracks us up...point awarded! Join the club...point awarded! Kissing up to the developer by noting how fabulous this web site is...point awarded! (hint hint :laugh:).

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 11:28:16 PM »
Rick beating me to the punch...again...point awarded!

Lone

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 11:37:13 PM »
I get it...lol
good points here....and bad points will get you in trouble elsewhere,kinda like a cyber credit system going on between the two forums

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
I get it...lol
good points here....and bad points will get you in trouble elsewhere,kinda like a cyber credit system going on between the two forums

You can subtract a point here too but I don't think anybody does...although we threaten to do so! Something that does pop up a lot is the  whammy...:voodoo:...and that's usually because someone has stumped us in one of the games! :laugh:

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 05:03:30 PM »
 I would have to go with "The whole Ten Yards". 9 Yards was kinda smart and funny. This one was just mindless. Ashamed to have it in my collection :-[

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
Then get rid of it! DVDs are not children; you don't have to keep the ugly ones...  ;)

Welcome to the forums, btw...  8)

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »
Then get rid of it! DVDs are not children; you don't have to keep the ugly ones...  ;)

Welcome to the forums, btw...  8)

Thanx for the warm welcome Najemikon! With time I guess u accept the "ugly" DVDs in ur collection n don't have the heart to throw them out!

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 12:22:39 AM »
Here's another warm welcome!  :cheers:

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Kathy! and :thanks: for the beer  !!

BTW: Can anyone help me with my Sig? I can't get the image to display properly.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

{IMG}http://phpdvdprofiler.shreksworld.com/phpdvdprofiler/ws.php?me=srikanth_kaushik{/img}

[] instead of {}

Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

DVDsRGreat

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »

{IMG}http://phpdvdprofiler.shreksworld.com/phpdvdprofiler/ws.php?me=srikanth_kaushik{/img}

:thanks: Karsten! A + point to you!  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 04:22:05 PM »
You're welcome! :friends:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools