Author Topic: Geeky question  (Read 8862 times)

RossRoy

Re: Geeky question
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Unless you've installed the AMD64 FreeNAS...  :weep:

While I don't have a TC, I'd be in the same boat as you... I'm planning to install the 0.7 branch of Freenas... (ZFS support)

lovemunkey187

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
3 Pages and I have understood virtually nothing.  ;D

Najemikon

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »
3 Pages and I have understood virtually nothing.  ;D

Then we're on the right track!  :hysterical: :tease:

While I don't have a TC, I'd be in the same boat as you... I'm planning to install the 0.7 branch of Freenas... (ZFS support)

Problem solved, by the way. Forget the plug-in for FreeNAS and installed Geexbox on the TC. Instant front-end! Though it isn't keen on playing FLACs. Strangely, it does stream AVIs without issue though.

RossRoy

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 11:34:06 PM »
This is incredible!

I just finished building my FreeNAS machine.. it took longer to put the material together, than it did to configure it all!

Right now I'm doing a test run of sorts, with only two 500GB hard drive in RAID0 (striped) configuration, and I'm playing around with the options.

Right now, I have the Raid mounted and shared over my network. I have BitTorrent running on the box downloading stuff. I've set up UPNP for sharing videos to my Xbox, including transcoding.  :thumbup:

I'm impressed so far with the performance.

Of course that's all running on 100Base-T right now, but I've already bought a 1000Base-T switch, but I guess the cable I'm using is too old and/or damaged, as it will only run at 100 right now. I've already ordered a new shielded Cat6 cable (probably overkill, but should work!)

RossRoy

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »
I spoke too soon. I can't get the Xbox to work.

Freenas sees my Xbox, but the Xbox won't see the FreeNAS.  :(

Seeking help ...

RossRoy

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 01:50:29 AM »
Well.. it was a wiring problem. I don't know if it was interference or the connector not being fully pushed in, but, I now have 1000Base-T speeds! (40MB/s transfers instead of 6-7MB/s)  :yu:

Still no Xbox support... (and I'm abandoning.)

northbloke

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 02:20:29 AM »
I don't know what software you're using so don't know if it's the same situation but I used to be able to share media using WMP10 on my PC and my Xbox, but when I upgraded to WMP11 all that stopped - the Xbox simply wouldn't see any of my files.
So I downloaded TVersity instead and haven't had a problem since (fingers crossed).

Najemikon

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
PCs not involved, Northbloke, as this is purely a uPnP broadcast.

Sebastien, your new switch hasn't got firewall functions has it? Otherwise, found this link with a couple of odd suggestions that might work: Xbox Tips

RossRoy

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 04:18:45 AM »
PCs not involved, Northbloke, as this is purely a uPnP broadcast.

Sebastien, your new switch hasn't got firewall functions has it? Otherwise, found this link with a couple of odd suggestions that might work: Xbox Tips

I think what happens is that the nas is not broadcasting for some reason. When I put the Xbox in network test mode, it doesn't see anything. Then, if I go on the nas and restart the uPnP service, the Xbox sees the server, but can't browse it. It's like the uPnP broadcast only happens once upon reboot, then it's gone.

I tried another software, called Cidero, which is a sort of uPnP middle man, and it's the same thing. Scan for uPnP devices, nothing found. As soon as I restart the uPnP service, bam! it sees it. And as opposed to the Xbox, it can actually browse the shares.

As for the switch having Firewall functions.. I don't think so. It's a D-Link DGS-1005D, and it's completely unmanaged. Maybe the fact that my Xbox is connected to the router, while my PC and NAS are both on the new switch might have something to do with it. But then, since both my PC and Xbox can't so much of anything, I don't think that's the problem.

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
I had something similar to that with my HP TC running Geexbox. I found I had to go to the uPnP service page and click the management link at the bottom (port 49152) and then it would pick it up.

Did you see that remark on the link I posted about having to have a ":" in the share? Seemed daft to me!

RossRoy

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
Did you see that remark on the link I posted about having to have a ":" in the share? Seemed daft to me!

Yeah I saw it. I did try it and called the uPnP share "Freenas:Media" and it didn't work any better (I ever tried "Freenas:")

Actually, I've decided to give up on it. I know for a fact I wouldn't actually use it, and that I was trying to get it working just for the "geek" factor of it. I may try again when Freenas 0.7-Stable releases.

On a side note, I currently have a 500GB ZFS mirror running flawlessly so far! Transfer speeds are actually quite decent. In mirrored mode, I get ~30MB/s. When Striped, I get around 40 MB/s. Not too shabby (considering I'm used to the measly 8MB/s of 100Base-T networks!)

RossRoy

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 03:25:45 AM »
Woohoo! ZFS RaidZ Single-Parity system up and running!

freenas:/# zpool list
NAME                    SIZE    USED   AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH     ALTROOT
tank0                  1.16T   12.1G   1.15T     1%  ONLINE     -

freenas:/# zfs list
NAME    USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank0  10.0G   862G  10.0G  /mnt/tank0

freenas:/# zpool iostat
               capacity     operations    bandwidth
pool         used  avail   read  write   read  write
----------  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----  -----
tank0       14.5G  1.14T      0    116    487  11.3M

freenas:/# zpool status
  pool: tank0
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: scrub completed with 0 errors on Sun May 17 21:16:01 2009
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank0       ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4p1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad5p1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6p1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad7p1   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad5p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4p3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad5p3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad7p2   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4p4   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6p3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad7p3   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad5p4   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6p4   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad7p4   ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

RossRoy

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »
Good thing I haven't put too much data on the NAS yet... As I'm planning to undo it all and restart with a new configuration. Instead of building 5 raidz1*, I'l build 1 raidz1*, and 1 raidz2*, which will allow to squeeze a few GB (just shy of 100GB, or going from 59% to 64% total space usage) out of the hard drive, retain the single-drive fault tolerance AND reduce the overhead for writing to the array!

raidz1 = Single-Parity = 1 drive fault tolerance (needs a minimum of 3 drives or partition)
raidz2 = Double-Parity = 2 drives fault tolerance (needs a minimum of 4 drives or partition)

I've attached my Excel sheet, if anyone's interested ;)

Stay tuned! ;)

edit: I've added the excel sheet of the previous setup too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:03:11 AM by RossRoy »

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »
Once I reinstall Excel I'll take a gander! I've just moved up to Vista 64. Still don't like much of it, but it's fast. Also have a beta of Windows 7 on another partition. Not using it in anger yet, but looking good.

RossRoy

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 01:02:02 AM »
Well well! I received the new Cat6 shielded network cable today. What a world of difference it did against the old Unshielded Cat5 with a half broken connector  :laugh:

I now have consistently fast and stable transfers from the NAS!  :thumbup: