Author Topic: WinSakapo  (Read 4113 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
WinSakapo
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:18 AM »
I've been running a (german) website that does something similar: SAKAPO.

Since I haven't had much to do in recent days (Have I already mentioned that I have nothing to do?), I implemented a Windows version of this website: WinSakapo.

It's only a version 0.2.0.2 but basically it does everything the website does, except for updating the prices automatically.

I will implement a configurable Windows Service that will do that.

The program is both english and german and can connect to Amazon.de, .co.uk and .com and it differentiates between Amazon as seller and other merchants.

Let me know, what you think. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Touti

Re: WinSakapo
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:54:20 PM »
can connect to Amazon.de, .co.uk and .com

No Amazon.ca ?

:weep:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
can connect to Amazon.de, .co.uk and .com

No Amazon.ca ?

:weep:

Version 0.2.1.0 now supports Amazon.ca  ;D (although no French, I don't speak any French :()
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Touti

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
Version 0.2.1.0 now supports Amazon.ca  ;D (although no French, I don't speak any French :()

Touti

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:30:12 PM »
I remember the old versions of DVDP with the shopping screen (don't remember how they called) which I could never used because it didn't have any canadian sites in it.

Nice program Karsten, it gives me what DVDP never did.

Then as I'm sure you expected I'm gonna have some suggestions ;)

The first one that comes to mind is that in order to see if any of the DVD's reached my target price I haave to open the program and check the list.  It would be very nice if you had an option to minimize it to the system tray and put it in some sort of "Daemon mode" where it would update the list at a regular interval and notify the user when a DVD has reached his price.  It could even send an email.

But again, Nice work.  I'm gonna use this even if you don't do any more development on it.
 :thundergod:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:33:19 PM »
In the settings is already a hidden tab where you can activate a Windows Service that will do exactly that: Scan the site at regular intervals and pop up a message. Im still coding that, though.

For future versions I had planned to add other search options, e.g. for titles.

PS: Should the program crash for some reason, then it (hopefully) will create a WinSakapoCrash.txt file in your %TEMP% directory. I'd be nice, if you could send it to me
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:37:37 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Touti

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
I just saw one of my lines showing up in green as the price is under my target.  That covers the first part of my suggestion ;)

Touti

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 03:01:45 PM »
Karsten,  when I add a title using "All" in the seller type it only returns 1 result, is that how you intended it ?  I was expecting to see my item from all MarketPlaces.

Amazon.ca
ASIN: B00007JMDF

There's 23 results, the program returned the entry for "caiman_usa".

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
Yes, that's intended, he just took the cheapest "new" from marketplace (CDN$ 8.94     New      Seller:  caiman_usa). But when it updates it isn't bound to caiman_usa, it will again look for the cheapest seller.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:33:17 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 08:07:24 PM »
Looking good Karsten!  :thumbup:

Might even replace what I currently use (Buylater) since it is more "real time" as opposed to having to check my email.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 05:59:45 AM »
Looks interesting... :thumbup:

You are aware you are not the only one with such ideas...? Incidentally I had just found Amazon WatcherAmazon Watcher yesterday; which even has a Mac OS X version ;) Or am I misunderstanding something and the two programs do something different?

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:04:18 AM »
You are aware you are not the only one with such ideas...?
Yes I am aware of that. These websites and programs have been around since Amazon published their Webservice API.

My website www.sakapo.de has been there for a while which uses the same technology. But there are far more better websites that even can connect to other webshops than Amazon.

Most of my programs were written for personal use only and only for a specific task. Therefore I didn't care much for fancy user interfaces and stuff. Then one day I decide to "dump" it on the internet in the hope someone else has a use for it, too. ;)

Incidentally I had just found Amazon WatcherAmazon Watcher yesterday; which even has a Mac OS X version ;) Or am I misunderstanding something and the two programs do something different?
No, they do the same.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:13 PM »
Hi,

is someone still using this? I hadn't time to develop it further but Amazon is going to change their API and if someone is still using it, I will adapt the software and release a new version.
Karsten