Author Topic: Johnny Got His Gun (1971)  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Johnny Got His Gun (1971)
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:51:47 AM »
Not really for discussing the movie, but if you want to your welcome  ;)

Probably a better news for the North American members, since an European release was made years ago, but...

Prepare your money for another great release in april (28) since this movie will finally get a release in our region. Shout Factory is the label who will release it. They have released a lot of tv series, so Pete probably had some of their previous releases.

I would have prefered a Criterion release, since I think that it's a film that fits 100% with the genre of movie in their catalogue. We talk about the most touching anti-war movie ever made, one film that have never get the respect that it deserve.

Not much information for now, but I will post more info when the announce will become official.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:16:25 AM by Jimmy »

lovemunkey187

Re: Johnny Got His Gun (1971)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:22:09 AM »
Not a film I've ever seen but one I've been curious about.

Below is my only exposure to it.

Metallica - One

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
If those black and white scenes from the music video (not the ones showing Metallica, of course :laugh:) are from Johnny Got His Gun, then I'll place it on my Wish List, it seems very interesting.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 07:39:34 PM »
That's a very interesting film Achim. This isn't the genre of film that I review here so don't worry this is a more "mainstream" film. The movie had won the Jury Grand Prize at the Cannes Festival (71). Finally this is the review written by Roger Ebert in january 71 where he had given 4 stars to the movie

Roger Ebert review

Addition :

The old European release isn't oop, so if you don't want to wait to have it. But this is just the movie with no extra.

Dalton Trumbo directs this screen version of his own searing anti-war novel Johnny Got His Gun.

A young American soldier (Timothy Bottoms), tragically injured by a landmine on the last day of the Great War in 1918, lies in a hospital bed. A quadruple amputee without the use of his eyes, ears or mouth yet remaining conscious and still able to reason, he tries to communicate to his doctors his wish that he be put on how as a demonstration of the full horrors of war... Also stars Donald Sutherland, Jason Robards & Kathy Fields. Clips of JOHNNY GOT HIS GUN were used in Metallica's "One" video.

DVD Synopsis

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:47:29 PM »
An update on this release special features :

The DVD includes a recent documentary on Trumbo made for the German release of the film on DVD; a new interview with star Timothy Bottoms, who was nominated for a Golden Globe for his lead performance; behind-the-scenes footage; a 1940 radio adaptation starring James Cagney; the music video for Metallica’s “One”, which famously featured clips of the film; a replica of the original poster; and the original theatrical trailer, which Fields said “is more like a statement about war,” with imagery of World War I and narration by star Jason Robards.

Home Media Magazine

Honestly, it could be one of the best dvd of this year :thumbup: